Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   05 999S vs 04 999R (/showthread.php?t=14518)

Ducnow 22-Feb-2005 17:55

05 999S vs 04 999R

Yeah, it may seem like a no brainer, but i would like to know your opinions about it if you could get them for more or less the same price.
Pros and Cons of each one.

In terms of pure look i prefer the new model front fairing, but that's the only "advantage" i can remember about the 05 S over the 04 R, am i right?

[Edited on 22-2-2005 by DucSoon?]

[Edited on 22-2-2005 by DucSoon?]

TP 22-Feb-2005 17:57

Dude, you've got 05 for both bikes in your thread title. If you can get them for the same cash then get the R.

Ducnow 22-Feb-2005 18:02

Quote:

Originally posted by tp-996
Dude, you've got 05 for both bikes in your thread title. If you can get them for the same cash then get the R.

Thanks. Edited....

Yeah, the R, but why?

TP 22-Feb-2005 18:09

It may be a personal thing but I like the idea of owning the best of the breed, and it will be worth more in the long run than the S. Maybe not much given they are the 999 shape but you know what I mean.

Plus you get all the goodie's with them, carbon this that and everything else, a few extra ponies. Just beware the service intervals, I may be wrong, but I believe they're shorter.

I would personally take that cash and get a 998R or a 996R and use the money you save on presents for it.

Mark 22-Feb-2005 18:11

says him who bought, erm what???

chillo 22-Feb-2005 18:12

there is some cracking deals on 04 999R's i would defo go for that!

If you like the newer style top fairing i think you can buy it seperately!:eureka:

Jools 22-Feb-2005 18:18

I've always had the opposite view, since I'm not really into the 'best of breed' status type thing.

The fact is that I could get nowhere near the ability of a 999S so any benefit, real or imagined, that the R provides would be wasted. I think that this is true for most riders, the S would do 99.999% of what the R would do most of the time. In any case it seems to me that this years S is pretty much on par with last years R.

So all you're left with is the 'pride of ownership' thing. Nothing wrong with that, but if I had 'R' money I'd have an S and a Multistrada with the change.

Ducnow 22-Feb-2005 18:24

Quote:

Originally posted by Jools
I've always had the opposite view, since I'm not really into the 'best of breed' status type thing.

The fact is that I could get nowhere near the ability of a 999S so any benefit, real or imagined, that the R provides would be wasted. I think that this is true for most riders, the S would do 99.999% of what the R would do most of the time. In any case it seems to me that this years S is pretty much on par with last years R.

So all you're left with is the 'pride of ownership' thing. Nothing wrong with that, but if I had 'R' money I'd have an S and a Multistrada with the change.

I agree that the new S is on pair with last year's R (sort of...)

But it's not R money i'm talking about, it's more or less the SAME price!!

Ducnow 22-Feb-2005 18:25

Quote:

Originally posted by chillo
there is some cracking deals on 04 999R's i would defo go for that!

If you like the newer style top fairing i think you can buy it seperately!:eureka:

:eureka: Why not??

Green1 22-Feb-2005 18:33

Has to be the" R " carbon fibre faring , plus the new faring on the 05 model is so bland , the original design with the cut outs is far more interesting , it's clever marketing saying removing them is a development ....yeah right , only if your in WSB doing over 120+ less turbulance.

Plus the -R's are numbered. Mines No26

TP 22-Feb-2005 18:38

Quote:

Originally posted by flanker
says him who bought, erm what???
:lol:

But back to the thread.

Jools, I agree with your post but only up to a point. If we all bought bikes aligned withour ability's I have no idea what we'd be riding. But I certainly wouldn't be on a 996! Maybe a crappy 250!

Mark 22-Feb-2005 18:44

Not a 999R per chance, or maybe something else......

adam 22-Feb-2005 19:29

im not one to promote certain bikes :D but, get a 996R, 996R, 996R, 996R. that felt gooood

nathanhu 23-Feb-2005 00:52

i was in the same situation in Nov last year 2004 999r or 2005 999s

i bought the 04 999r for the same money as the 05 999s

the 05 bike (999s) has less power than the 04 R, no carbon fairing, heavy wheels, and above all the short stroke motor which still isnt in any other model in 05 other than the R
if you want to do track days get the R its a compleate package.

Ducnow 23-Feb-2005 11:45

Quote:

Originally posted by nathanhu
the 05 bike (999s) has less power than the 04 R, no carbon fairing, heavy wheels, and above all the short stroke motor which still isnt in any other model in 05 other than the R
if you want to do track days get the R its a compleate package.

My thoughts exactly.... but does the 999R comes with a racing exaust and chip like the 05 S?
And one more thing, i don't really plan to track day the Ducati (well maybe once just to get the taste of it) so i'll just use ti to street riding, what are the advantages/disavantages of the short stroke engine of the R over the S in street riding?
And does the R require more service than the S, or shorter service periods??

C'mon guys help out here

Twinfan 23-Feb-2005 11:52

999R comes with Termis and chip, yes. I would imagine the short stroke motor is a touch more revvy, but the press have said it's a great all round motor. Let's face it, it will end up in the 'lesser' models in the future.

I believe the service interval on all 749/999 models is the same, but the R's have a more detailed service each time i.e. cost more bucks and include belts every time. It's still 6000m or 12 months though, whichever comes first.

Twinfan 23-Feb-2005 11:53

You get a slip-on exhaust with the S and R by the way, not a full system.

Ducnow 23-Feb-2005 12:19

Quote:

Originally posted by Twinfan
999R comes with Termis and chip, yes. I would imagine the short stroke motor is a touch more revvy, but the press have said it's a great all round motor. Let's face it, it will end up in the 'lesser' models in the future.

I believe the service interval on all 749/999 models is the same, but the R's have a more detailed service each time i.e. cost more bucks and include belts every time. It's still 6000m or 12 months though, whichever comes first.

Thanks a lot for the info.
So both come with a slip-on and chip huh? :cool:

Twinfan 23-Feb-2005 12:43

Yup. They call it the assymetric system, and it's a CPU not a chip ;)

COL595 23-Feb-2005 15:59

DucSoon - you know I've just made this very decision. I went for the 'R'.

The only thing the 2005 'S' had going for it was the revised fairing - it is wider and higher, meaning it's easier to get behind.

I'm getting the brand new 2004 spec 'R' for only a little more than the price of a 2005 'S'. It's already taken a 25% depreciation hit, carbon everywhere, short-stroke motor, two exhausts, plus chip, cover, paddock stand, limited availability, that tiny little 'R' on the side, and paint that looks deeper and more lustrous (even though it's actually as thin as a coating of baby oil) - although I won't be able to exploit any marginal performance difference, it still had to be the better bet.

I went into the servicing costs quite thoroughly and they are very similar for both bikes. Although you might choose to specify belts every 12 months, I'm told Ducati themselves specify 24 months, even for the 'R'.

If you shop around, insurance costs can be quite similar too.

You're worse than me for prevarication - what would you call yourself if you bought one - DucGotIt?:lol:

nathanhu 23-Feb-2005 16:40

the expencive part for the service is when the heads have to come off as the head gaskets cost about 160 euros or so each as they are different to the 999s's.
I'm also looking int getting the 05 nose but you also need the screen and the carbon mirror brackets

Ducnow 23-Feb-2005 23:24

Quote:

Originally posted by COL595
DucSoon - you know I've just made this very decision. I went for the 'R'.

The only thing the 2005 'S' had going for it was the revised fairing - it is wider and higher, meaning it's easier to get behind.

I'm getting the brand new 2004 spec 'R' for only a little more than the price of a 2005 'S'. It's already taken a 25% depreciation hit, carbon everywhere, short-stroke motor, two exhausts, plus chip, cover, paddock stand, limited availability, that tiny little 'R' on the side, and paint that looks deeper and more lustrous (even though it's actually as thin as a coating of baby oil) - although I won't be able to exploit any marginal performance difference, it still had to be the better bet.

I went into the servicing costs quite thoroughly and they are very similar for both bikes. Although you might choose to specify belts every 12 months, I'm told Ducati themselves specify 24 months, even for the 'R'.

If you shop around, insurance costs can be quite similar too.

You're worse than me for prevarication - what would you call yourself if you bought one - DucGotIt?:lol:

:lol:, but i got it all figured.... it will be DucNow :D

Ducnow 24-Feb-2005 00:44

UPDATE!!!!!

I've found a cheaper 05 999S, so now the 04 R is around £ 2.000 more expensive.
Hmmm........................ :(

:D

Green1 24-Feb-2005 02:24

Stop being a tart and buy the 'R' it has presents!!!! get it ??

Ducnow 24-Feb-2005 11:20

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1
Stop being a tart and buy the 'R' it has presents!!!! get it ??

:frog::D

COL595 24-Feb-2005 15:15

Two things:

You'll find buying one a lot easier if you disengage your brain. If you try to employ normal purchasing principles, you'll probably find yourself at the doors of the Japanese Motorcycle Emporium.

When I was intent on getting the 'S', Ducati UK told me that they were expecting to see them in the country some time after the end of April 2005. I couldn't wait that long - my 'R' will be run in (and probably rusted away) by then!:roll:

I think you ought to phase in your name change:
DucSoon;
DucI'mComin';
DucThereInAMinute;
DucJustHandingOverTheCash;
DucOHMYGOD!!!!;
DucI'mHavingACigarette;
DucNow!

Then obviously on to:
DucICan'tAffordTheServicing;
DucThey'veRepossessedMyHouse;
DucI'mLivingInTheGutter;
DucI'mGonnaEndItAll.;)

Get the 'R'.

COL595 24-Feb-2005 15:18

I meant three things........:D

Ducnow 24-Feb-2005 16:18

Quote:

Two things:

You'll find buying one a lot easier if you disengage your brain. If you try to employ normal purchasing principles, you'll probably find yourself at the doors of the Japanese Motorcycle Emporium.

When I was intent on getting the 'S', Ducati UK told me that they were expecting to see them in the country some time after the end of April 2005. I couldn't wait that long - my 'R' will be run in (and probably rusted away) by then!:roll:

I think you ought to phase in your name change:
DucSoon;
DucI'mComin';
DucThereInAMinute;
DucJustHandingOverTheCash;
DucOHMYGOD!!!!;
DucI'mHavingACigarette;
DucNow!

Then obviously on to:
DucICan'tAffordTheServicing;
DucThey'veRepossessedMyHouse;
DucI'mLivingInTheGutter;
DucI'mGonnaEndItAll.;)

Get the 'R'.

:lol::lol:

So in which phase are you now? :D

COL595 24-Feb-2005 17:03

Hopefully, I'm just at the end of DucThereInAMinute.

My friendly insurance company have been messing me around for the last week, which has caused a slight delay. They've gone back on the quote they gave me four weeks ago (increasing it by almost 400%!), and they've been trying to impose all sorts of conditions - the latest one apparently being that I must have an 18-foot deep moat dug around my house, filled with Basildon virgins' blood (if you know Basildon, you'll know how unreasonable they're being!). However, just this lunchtime, I've fallen in love with Carol Nash - so NU will soon be history.

I should take delivery second week in March, I reckon, and I can't wait - snow or no snow.

Are you after Dave's Fila?:devil:

Ducnow 24-Feb-2005 17:08

Quote:

Hopefully, I'm just at the end of DucThereInAMinute.

My friendly insurance company have been messing me around for the last week, which has caused a slight delay. They've gone back on the quote they gave me four weeks ago (increasing it by almost 400%!), and they've been trying to impose all sorts of conditions - the latest one apparently being that I must have an 18-foot deep moat dug around my house, filled with Basildon virgins' blood (if you know Basildon, you'll know how unreasonable they're being!). However, just this lunchtime, I've fallen in love with Carol Nash - so NU will soon be history.

I should take delivery second week in March, I reckon, and I can't wait - snow or no snow.

Are you after Dave's Fila?:devil:

Hmm.... you still have some to make some steps until you reach DucNow phase, then :D

Errr..... that's a possibility.... :devil: Why?

COL595 24-Feb-2005 17:29

Just interested:saint:

I've been following your posts with interest, and I now view you as the son I never had:frog::D

Ducnow 24-Feb-2005 17:33

Quote:

Just interested:saint:

I've been following your posts with interest, and I now view you as the son I never had:frog::D

Bwhahahahahaha :lol::lol:

Please daddy get me a 05 999R :D:D

COL595 24-Feb-2005 17:45

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I always wanted a daughter.

Ducnow 24-Feb-2005 18:49

Quote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I always wanted a daughter.

Too late for that. :D

Anyway, i've read that this will be your first Duc, what other bikes have you had. (****!! as your son i should know this already :D)

COL595 24-Feb-2005 20:37

I'm busy - go and ask yer mother :P

Ducnow 24-Feb-2005 20:43

Quote:

I'm busy - go and ask yer mother :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tabby999r 24-Feb-2005 23:29

Buy the "R" and make another 3.5bhp with a power comander,with the supplyed can & front pipe.Ducati told me the 04 "R" was still more powerfull
than the new one as the BHP figures are worked out on a different Dyno??
Well thats there excuse!!!
Have you felt the weight of the "S" fairings ? they weigh a ton compared to the "R". Stop dithering ,get your wallet out.:burn::devil:

Ducnow 25-Feb-2005 13:50

Quote:

Originally posted by Tabby999r
Buy the "R" and make another 3.5bhp with a power comander,with the supplyed can & front pipe.Ducati told me the 04 "R" was still more powerfull
than the new one as the BHP figures are worked out on a different Dyno??
Well thats there excuse!!!
Have you felt the weight of the "S" fairings ? they weigh a ton compared to the "R". Stop dithering ,get your wallet out.:burn::devil:

That's what the :devil:in me has benn whispering in my ear :D

As for the weight of the S fairings, yeah i think they'll weight more than the R, but the 05 models have fairings made of another material and weight less than the previous models.