Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Cam belt tensioning tool (again . .) (/showthread.php?t=1036)

Paul_998 22-Jun-2003 14:03

Cam belt tensioning tool (again . .)

I know this has been discussed a few times in the past as I've been searching through some of the posts on the old message board.

Someone posted a picture of a Snap-On/Blue Point tool which looks like a nice bit of kit. Unfortunately I can't find it on the Snap On site, there's no part number and no idea of price. Being Snap On it's not going to be cheap but you can never fault their quality.

Any ideas ?

Hanes have a similar digital one in their manual but I can't find that for sale on-line either. :(

Paul:(

Jon 22-Jun-2003 14:26

Paul I think that you can use a Ford one. I think you have to change the rollers though. Email Ripsnortingvtwin he knows all abou it.

Jon

skidlids 22-Jun-2003 15:23

I have the other Snap-on tool which cost just over £150

http://premiertools.co.uk/cat916_1.htm

Paul_998 22-Jun-2003 22:07

Which one ?

Skidlids,
Which one do you have ?
There's a belt tension tester AST4395 and a cam belt tension gauge MOP370.
Looks like you would only need the gauge.

Still like the look of the digital Snap On one though . . .

Found it Stock NO:ITCDZP01 £319

Paul

[Edited on 22-6-2003 by Paul_998]

skidlids 23-Jun-2003 00:33

I have the Belt Tension Tester AST4395 and use the No.4 button, I have used it to do the belts on both my road bike and my race bike without any problems.

The Clavis type frequency measuring belt tensioning tool is the type suggested in the 748RS manual

for more info on these http://www.clavis.co.uk/

Paul_998 23-Jun-2003 21:29

To use the Clavis type meters you need to know the accurate weight of the belt, the length of the belt run, etc. Seems like scope to get it wrong.

You say Ducati suggest this type of meter in the RS handbook. Do they give the frequency in Hz you need to set it to ?

All the car ones I've done have been set just using the 45 deg twist method and I've not had one break yet. Perhaps I'm worrying too much.

Paul

I assume the belts and tension are the same for both RS and standard road bikes ?

skidlids 23-Jun-2003 22:53

Paul the belts on the 748RS are narrower than those on the normal 748/916 etc, probably saving weight by running narrower pulleys. The frequency is given in the manual but I can't recall what it is off the top of my head.
Felix probably has a frequency for the belt tension on his 996RS, but I'm not sure on the width of the belts on his bike. I'm sure he can add the imformation in the near future,
Kev

paulk 24-Jun-2003 08:21

I posted that original pic. There is also a cheaper alternative ...

You can email Garage Tool Supplies . The owners name is Bill - and if you are interested he will give a discount if you mention DSC. He did have them in stock. (Not the digi ones though).

Paul_998 24-Jun-2003 21:28

Paulk,
I'll probably go for the cheaper AST one. At over £300 the digital one is OTT for DIY use.

Is there plenty of room to get the AST one on to the belt ?
How easy is it to get a consistent, accurate reading ?

nelly 24-Jun-2003 22:19

I use the AST tool to and am very pleased with it. It's a little tight to get on the rear belt, but once you've done it it's clear enough to repeat.
It's important to use button 4. The gauge that comes with the tool will indicate button 5 but that doesn't give the right tension.
Don't know why, but I've "calibrated" it against a Ducati tool, and the manual measuring belt deflection method and button 4 is the one to use.
I've used it a fair few times now ;) and it is staying in calibration very well.
I don't think you can go wrong for the money IMO.