Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Supersports: SS / SuperSport / Supersport 950 (/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Eek! I've killed my electrics. Red goes to Black .... (/showthread.php?t=12830)

kefi 02-Jan-2005 21:00

Eek! I\'ve killed my electrics. Red goes to Black ....

Can anyone help? I did something unforgivable and jumped the dead battery on my '93 SS 750 with the leads to the wrong terminal! I thought there might be a problem when the start switch welded on! It blew the fuse and after mending the switch I crossed my fingers ... but it promtly blew another fuse and another till I come to the conclusion that I'd f@cked it. So I wonder does anyone have a clue before I send in a SORN? I'm skint and can't afford the loving hands of my guru Motori de Marino :rolleye:

Iconic944ss 02-Jan-2005 23:58

Hard luck Kefi....

My electrical knowledge aint that good I'm afraid but I would look towards the starter solenoid mounted on the right hand side near the battery box (if yours is the same as my 93 900ss).

The haynes manual details how to test it.

I'd of thought this unit plus the fuse would of stopped too much damage but you might be as well checking your charging system voltage (when you get everything running again - lets be positive (oops - sorry)).

You wouldnt want to melt a battery like I did recently :mad:

Good luck - Frank

moto748 03-Jan-2005 01:14

Is there a big 30A or 40A alternator fuse as well? If so, I'd check that.

Username 03-Jan-2005 01:31

You might find some help here..

http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/show...b=5&o=0&fpart=

This guy did the same thing.. Hope you get it fixed.

ATB

Iconic944ss 03-Jan-2005 02:01

Good weblink...you need to join to read the thread...and its easy and worth it to join....

Here is a reply from Edwyun....what a good guy...he's everywhere :saint:

this exact thing happened to a friend of mine at a trackday on his 851. Like ward said, check/replace the regulator. IMHO, i'd use a OEM updated R/R (3-phase type; just don't use the extra yellow wire).

Ride safe,
Edward
900FE (#231)

kefi 03-Jan-2005 11:35

What a fantastic response! Thanks you guys I'll take a look later and get back to you. Many thanks!
Ken

kefi 03-Jan-2005 12:03

Shame I can't pick up the thread posted by the guy from Winborne but I'll get started and perhaps the webmaster will sort that one for me. Cheers again ...

keefer 03-Jan-2005 12:10

have a good look at most of the rubber jacket around the wire. its possible it may have burnt and you will now be getting a short-circuit. if it got hot enough to weld the ignition barrel it could of burnt through else where.

748mart 03-Jan-2005 13:14

I accidentally connected battery wrong way round when bike was in bits & wanted to stop alarm from being discharged. Result was a fried regulator & the 40A fuse blew. replaced regulator & fuse & all OK.

kefi 03-Jan-2005 20:47

UuuFippinReekaakaa! The Duchess Lives! I found a bare wire by the starter relay (probably melted the insulation and shorting on the mount). Anyway fixed that and replaced the 15 amp fuse, charged the battery and bosh.
Immense gratitude to you all for the support. I'm well chuffed, thanks! I hope it's sunny tomorrow...:bouncy: