Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Getting your bike to tracks.... (/showthread.php?t=170242)

Mr.Number 03-Dec-2012 10:30

Getting your bike to tracks....

Looking into the best way to transport a bike. Was initially going to part ex my car for a van but its beginning to look unnecessarily expensive, especially when you look at the things that go wrong with vans. I mostly commute to work by train so the van would just be sitting there really waiting for the weekends racing and track days. I do use my car now and again to go to work but only in **** weather. It's currently sorn but will be getting mot shortly.

I'm thinking of a box trailer, big enough for one bike and a few bits and pieces and part exing the car for an estate, like a Subaru or similar.

What do you guys find the best method of going about your racing, transporting etc. trying to keep the cost down obviously so can spend more on the bike. The idea of an estate suits, as I can drop the back seats and sleep in it if need be. Also it can carry more parts etc.

I'm quite a geek when it comes to reviews, il read them forever if it means getting the right vehicle. Diesel or petrol ? 2 litre or above ? 4 wheel drive ? Audi diesel or Subaru etc ? Manual or auto ?

Please post up with your views so I can consider from people who are actually doing it at the moment or have done. Bare in mind I'm pretty much decided on a box trailer estate combo as its looking like the cheapest way to do it.

Regards

Kev

Spjallen 03-Dec-2012 10:33

Van is the best way fwd. It provides you with cheap accommodation too.

Cranker V2 03-Dec-2012 11:32

Van. Towing a trailer is a pain. Vans can be gotten for 2k and be reliable. Skids may even have his charabang still for sale. If you do go the car and trailer route get a decent tent and an decent awning to keep the bike in (sometimes garages not available/fully booked). Put the tent up and down can be apain, but beats sleaping in the car.

bradders 03-Dec-2012 11:38

big box trailer a good second option to a van, as you can sleep in it as well. Worked ok for me for 2 years. From experince my 250 goes 44mpg to 28mpg towing at 70 motorways etc, whereas a friends 4x4 doenst really lost too much at all. Think its the drag affect rather than the weight as a taller car already makes a big hole in the air

Just insulate it well...coz it gets cooold!

badgerpilot 03-Dec-2012 11:54

Van with a part (so far) camper mod for me (also got a trailer but I fell lucky on that bit), gives you transport and a bed without much setting up hassle.
Very useful for late arrivals at tracks, building tents in the dark is a pain.
If you can change the V5 to camper you'll get cheaper insurance and MOTs too.
Box trailer on the back of a camper seems perfect, arrive at track, pull on handbrake, job done.

dunlop0_1 03-Dec-2012 12:41

Paul Payne for a couple of years has used only his people carrier to transport the bike and to sleep in (yes the bike fits inside)

Ron Jolly used his car and a trailer plus a tent.

I used to hire vans but it got expesive and inconvenient so I decided an old transit would do which like Badger has done was part modded with fold down beds.

Still have the old transit (£900) and an old caravan £500) and its the height of luxury. :lol:

The pair will probably sell for not much less than what I paid for them when the time comes. :)

banger san 03-Dec-2012 13:02

Medium sized box trailer that bike and most of my gear fits in, still get 40 mpg towing at reasonable speed behind my estate then pick up B&B or Travel lodge. Much warmer than kipping in tent, trailer, car or van and the only way I can get 'er in doors to come along.

coppersaucepipe 03-Dec-2012 13:40

Northgate will do a newish hire transit for £30 a day or £85 a weekend (last thing Thursday to first thing Monday), and every 5th hire, you get a day free. Just make sure you book in advance because if they've run out of vans you end up wishing you didn't rent from else where.
Until this weekend, I was seriously considering just renting, I'm now looking for a towbar as a short term fix.

ells 03-Dec-2012 14:06

I used a car and a basic bike trailer. That was ok at the beginning, except for when you forget about the trailer :o . Also when coming back at night you will spend a lot of time looking backwards to make sure the trailer is still there.

Hiring vans - across the year you will need to hire one not just for the races but track days, taking the bike to the mechanic\whatever.

Purchasing a van, hopefully you should get a fair amount back if you are carefull. Fuel consumption is not great. If you are going to use it for sleeping in as well as transporting the bike then something with a little height\length will be more comfortable.

Mark

skidlids 03-Dec-2012 14:54

I started with a open trailer towed behind the Saab I had at the time, after picking up 3 points for a MW10 after using the Outside lane of a motorway to overtake a centre lane cruiser I decided to buy a cheap van and haven't looked back as I have just bought my 6th Van.

But you do need to work out how many times a year your going to use it to justify the cost of road tax, Insurance and MOT against hiring one

Mr.Number 03-Dec-2012 15:33

I will utilise the 4 wheels apart from going to the track, example when the weather is shite going to work, shopping bla bla, so it will get used. I can sleep in an estate car, seats folded and sleeping bag etc. a well looked after 2nd hand estate will be cheaper overall including running costs than an equivalent van. I can try this for a couple of years until such time I may have enough money to go all out for a van. I think this is the way to go at the moment

bradders 03-Dec-2012 17:44

a few poeople I've seen use Voyager or old Espace, just need to remove the screen/top fairing but also means you have to take everything out to sleep and also are always 'in fumes'

thins is none of the reasons I opted for a trailer; gazebo up, bike out, kit to one side, sleeping bag on camp bed...done

mat2hew 03-Dec-2012 18:14

I love my van with all of my heart, I wouldn't swap it for anything.

buy a VW and keep it forever. (had mine for 17½ years now) I use it for everything that I can't do on a bike.

batesy2 03-Dec-2012 18:42

The best answer i have seen to this problem has been the little caravan with a ramp built into the back,carries the bike,then sleep and brew up in it,not sure who the guy is but you have all seen him at our meetings i bet,
you could pick up a suitable caravan for £500 and the ramp thing would be fairly easy to fix up.
when not being used it dont cost a penny
Simples -)

skidlids 03-Dec-2012 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by batesy2
The best answer i have seen to this problem has been the little caravan with a ramp built into the back,carries the bike,then sleep and brew up in it,not sure who the guy is but you have all seen him at our meetings i bet,
you could pick up a suitable caravan for £500 and the ramp thing would be fairly easy to fix up.
when not being used it dont cost a penny
Simples -)

Scooter916 was doing this ten years ago, he got a caravan with a central rear window and and cut out the section bellow. then added some bits to allow him to bolt that section in and out when he wanted to.
Not quites as big as the converted coach he and Adam had thankfully they didn't have that as their race transport when they were racing in DD

All a bit different from the setup he has had lately for his British Supersport team

Si1208 03-Dec-2012 19:52

I swapped my car for a van a few years ago when I started doing trackdays and trips to the Nurburgring with a couple of mates, so when I started racing this year there was no decision to make. I must admit, I like having the space and convenience of my van, and wouldn't want to do it any other way, but 'each to his own'. :)

bradders 03-Dec-2012 22:35

Chris Clarke has said caravan conversion, very neat job done by his old fella and if I had somewhere to store it and could cope with the ridicule of dragging one it seems good towing option

milesaway 04-Dec-2012 03:41

most of last year i used my citroen dispatch work van (bought for £700 and sold for £800 4years later after doing a "john cleese" and battering sh*te out of it) and single bike trailer 2 big sticks and a bit of old lorry tarp- was just big enough to sleep ok and cost f**k all to run 38mpg and about £200 maintainance in all time i had it- bit slow but have always had bikes for going fast and always found vans more useful than cars-
now living luxury with vw lt35 and have converted my trailer to small box

bally71 06-Dec-2012 07:54

vw transporter ..

drives like a car and does close to 40 mpg (if your careful)
fits the bike all my gear and a matress in
i do about 20000 miles a year in mine and it's reliable as the day is long (currently on 190000 miles)

not just there for race days .. track days .. collecting and selling various bike parts .. camping .. plus everything else i carry around.

mines a combi .. so it's got 5 seats too

am considering getting a decent pop up awning but wouldn't swap the van for the world

848spence 06-Dec-2012 19:33

I'm selling my Vw T5.:( awesome van 178bhp can either tow bike or put bike in back with all spares and can even sleep next to it with my bed setup built in... pm for more details if interested

coppersaucepipe 06-Dec-2012 20:11

I like that, shame it's way out of budget.

bradders 06-Dec-2012 20:36

How much Spence?

848spence 06-Dec-2012 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradders
How much Spence?

you have PM

bradders 07-Dec-2012 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 848spence
you have PM

for someone else Spence, not racing this year now...change of circumstance...but I'll pass it on

Mr.Number 13-Jan-2013 07:20

Found this, looks reliable I doubt anybody has used one though to pass comment.

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/Non-Lift-Scooter-Rack.htm

SeeleyG50 14-Jan-2013 00:12

160 kg sat on your ball hitch?

Mr.Number 14-Jan-2013 00:47

Thats what I was thinking, but Yep, takes 200kg.

They're gonna be in a world of **** if it didnt hold. I cant imagine it would be for sale if it didnt. It comes with they're own fitments to the hitch.

milesaway 14-Jan-2013 08:45

why

why pay 3 times what you can pick up a 1/2 decent bike trailer for to have your precious bike flailing round on 1 bit of metal and in the way of your back door? Also their rack may take 200kg but will yr hitch and how's a car gonna feel with 200kg hanging a foot off the back of it?

paynep 14-Jan-2013 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by milesaway
why pay 3 times what you can pick up a 1/2 decent bike trailer for to have your precious bike flailing round on 1 bit of metal and in the way of your back door? Also their rack may take 200kg but will yr hitch and how's a car gonna feel with 200kg hanging a foot off the back of it?

My old Voyager is still for sale - £550 ono. MOT'd until the end of June and takes a DD bike no problem with the seats out.
Not had a problem with the fumes and the 5 minutes to remove the top fairing and bellypan is better to me than turning up with a soaking bike on a trailer.
Its nicer to sleep in than a van as its got carpet and trim and a headlining and I'm sure if you put your mind to it you could fit some nice chintz curtains too!

Mr.Number 16-Jan-2013 06:28

Where do you put all your spares etc ?

Ghost 16-Jan-2013 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Number

Paul doesn't need spares, when he bins it, it usually goes in the skip. :D

paynep 16-Jan-2013 12:01

Quote:

Generally on my or others bikes during the course of a season :lol:

Two plastic crates with lids which contain sprockets + carrier, chain, clutch, clutch cover, footpegs, clipons, levers, clutch + brake m/cyls, reg/rec, fuel pump, brake pads, throttle assy, ECU, TPS, coils, wheel bearings, plugs, gear selector forks, nuts and bolts, fluids and duct tape. Oh, and then I chuck a spare nose fairing and forks and a hammer in too.
Based on several years car and bike racing experience that if I carry it, I won't need it, but if I haven't got it then I will.....

I also carry 2 jerrycans, front and rear paddock stands, toolbox, spare leathers, boots, gloves and helmet, a second set of wheels, clothes and bedding, plenty of food and beer and it barely comes up to window level so there is always room for more beer. :devil:

Andy C 16-Jan-2013 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by paynep
Generally on my or others bikes during the course of a season :lol:

Two plastic crates with lids which contain sprockets + carrier, chain, clutch, clutch cover, footpegs, clipons, levers, clutch + brake m/cyls, reg/rec, fuel pump, brake pads, throttle assy, ECU, TPS, coils, wheel bearings, plugs, gear selector forks, nuts and bolts, fluids and duct tape. Oh, and then I chuck a spare nose fairing and forks and a hammer in too.
Based on several years car and bike racing experience that if I carry it, I won't need it, but if I haven't got it then I will.....

I also carry 2 jerrycans, front and rear paddock stands, toolbox, spare leathers, boots, gloves and helmet, a second set of wheels, clothes and bedding, plenty of food and beer and it barely comes up to window level so there is always room for more beer. :devil:

And don't forget spares for me!

dunlop0_1 16-Jan-2013 18:45

enough spares to do this in the paddock :lol: Oh and a top female mechanic supervising. :D

Mr.Number 16-Jan-2013 19:59

I'm liking the people carrier option with the rear seats pulled out. Being realistic I'm not going to make it this year. I'm still going together a bike and spend the year setting it up and getting some track time under my belt ready to enter in 14. Will probably tag along for some of the meetings and introduce myself and help out if possible where needed. Good luck to all.

yeendy 16-Jan-2013 20:21

im jumping in at the deep end and will hopefully improve as the sea on goes on. i cant imagine me doing that sort of repairs trackside , as my spares are for light spills and not major rebuilds , if it gets to that stage i reckon the bike goes back on the trailer , and i go to the bar:)

paynep 16-Jan-2013 22:36

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost
Paul doesn't need spares, when he bins it, it usually goes in the skip. :D

Just the once........and yes I'm still using the tank and seat!

dunlop0_1 17-Jan-2013 05:25

Quote:

I could've saved that. :lol:

kiwicoops 17-Jan-2013 17:38

Quote:

That must be the best Crash shot in DD.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power". Abraham Lincoln ...53 horse power should do it

Monty 22-Jan-2013 18:54

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Found this, looks reliable I doubt anybody has used one though to pass comment.

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/Non-Lift-Scooter-Rack.htm

I've got one of those, fits on the back of my Hymer motorhome and yes the towbar will take that much load-it's a Mercedes Sprinter base vehicle.
To add my 2p to the discussion, when WJB was racing my TZ we used a tent-for the first 2 meetings both of which ****ed with rain. I then bought an old Hymer and had a rack fabricated to hang the TZ on the back-job done. I would avoid tents, if it rains you are going to be cold, wet and miserable and have nowhere to get your gear dry. A van would be the best bet-at least you can hang wet gear in it and sleep in it.

John