Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Tyres (/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   supercorsa compounds (/showthread.php?t=8508)

jim-bob 28-Jun-2004 10:55

supercorsa compounds

Hi, Can someone help me understand how to read off the compound from the sidewall on these tyres? - Cant find any SCx markings at all...?

dickieducati 28-Jun-2004 11:07

sounds like you may have the 'street' version then which i believe dont have a sc1/2/3 rating

tyreman 28-Jun-2004 12:59

u could be right there dickiducati,but also if they are new tyres there is a black plastic label that covers no,s u do have to look closely

tyreman

jim-bob 28-Jun-2004 14:43

No plastic label - 'street' version..? What will that mean for the track - any experience of 'em?
Cheers

dickieducati 28-Jun-2004 15:18

i think the street version is give or take the equivalent of an sc2 but slightly different in constuction. dont know your riding ability but doubt whether 90% of the people on here (myself included) would notice any difference.

Rattler 28-Jun-2004 19:45

I've had bad experience of using SC4 or the no marking "road" supercorsa -I just couldn't get any heat into them at all and lowsided at Brands.

When I got back to the paddock the tyres showed virtually no wear (not warming up) at all, and I was on a pretty quick pace for a 6 or so laps.

So for me, I'll not use anything less than SC2 rear and SC1 front (only use SC1 front as it wears out half as quick as the rear so they can then be swapped at the same time).

Maybe its psychological, maybe it was an old SC4 - who knows, but for me, I'll not touch them.

Tim:oink:

Felix 28-Jun-2004 19:50

No doubting anyone's experience, but I am confused. I always thought that a harder compound tyre, such as the road compounds, were supposed to heat up faster. As such they would overheat when used on the track. Must be missing something.

Rattler 28-Jun-2004 19:54

Well - I reckon that if the tyre heats up quicker, it must wear out quicker? Surely a softer tyre = more grip? - albeit for a lesser time!

Also, a road tyre would last longer as it wouldn't heat up as much and therefore last longer. harder tyre = harder wearing?

Might be wrong though???

Now I'm confusing myself!!!

Tim:frog:

skidlids 28-Jun-2004 22:01

If you want confusion you want to get hold of some of the unmarked Rennsports that I've been using for the last couple of years RS????, probably RS-3, one of the rears lasted just 4 club races at Thruxton

chris.p 28-Jun-2004 23:02

If I remember rightly road tyres have a thicker/stiffer tyre wall to take care of bumps, heats up quicker than a race tyre but as you have a higher pressure in a road tyre they stay cooler, also you do not give them as much stick on the road as you would a track.
I am sure tyre man will be along shortly a & correct me if I am am wrong.

Chris.:roll: