Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   999 touring (/showthread.php?t=29575)

900MAN 19-Apr-2006 14:19

999 touring

Will be picking up a 999 next week and wondered what they were like on long trips.
Got a 2000mile+ euro trip in June so be nice to be forwarned.
PS I'm 6'3 and portly;)

Bionicle 19-Apr-2006 20:41

Dont know about others but my ass is numb after 100 klicks, sort out a padded seat :)

After thought :- plan your fuel stops well in advance

duc daz 19-Apr-2006 20:54

sore wrists sore bum and thats just riding to the bottom of the street:lol:

Wylie1 19-Apr-2006 21:59

I've just got back from a trip to the Nurburgring. Rode the 350 miles or so to get there & still felt fresh enough to get 4 laps in before hitting the hotel bar!
The poor tank range dictates regular fuel stops (start looking for a petrol station at 80 miles after filling up) & will give you a chance to stretch your legs.
Yes, the seat is no sofa, but on the motorway, the wind will keep the weight off your wrists. When you're on the twisties, you probably won't be sat in the same position.

It's no tourer, but I'm off to Lake Garda in July on my 749 & I can't wait :burn:

I'm 6'1" by the way.

guest1 20-Apr-2006 13:24

06 999's have more comfier seat than 04 999's

Recommend you get heat shield under the seat cos it'll get toasty after a while.
Fuel range on mine is 100~120 depending on mood.

bigtwin 20-Apr-2006 19:38

I've done one, week long, continental trip so far (approx 2000 miles). I'm 6'3" tall and haven't found it too uncomfortable (a bit less comfortable than my previous 900ssie on which I did a number of similar trips). I found that the other guys on the trip (riding non-ducatis) seemed to complain about lack of comfort!! I dont know if that's a reflection on me, the 999, them or their bikes!

Recognising the plank like nature of the original seat, I had the gel seat fitted soon after getting the bike. I now have a lightly padded plank like seat!

So far I haven't carried luggage on it, but I have recently fitted the Ventura rack so will be testing this out on a couple of trips this year.

Fear not - go for it and enjoy it!

gordonparker 25-Apr-2006 14:01

You will find a 999 is more comfortable on a long trip than a748/996 models, you have a little extra room on the seat which enables you to stretch back and change position/ cheeks !! I have done it on both
I rode down to Italy/Austria twice last summer and had no problems exept looking for fuel in Belgium/Italy after 6pm and on Sundays.
5-600 miles depending on the type of roads/weather etc is easy and the fact you have to stop every 1.3-2 hours for petrol gives you a rest.
I can also recomend Conti Road attack for a mixture of long distance m/ways, A and B roads they give good milage and grip in all conditions
Fantastic roads on the Austrian/Italian boarders over the Alps - you should try some if you can, have a good trip

gordonparker 25-Apr-2006 14:10

Also forgot to mention, I got a ventura rack for mine which means any heavy stuff can go on the bike and just the essentials in the back pack, also you could solve your pillion matter with the grab rail option also.
Does not look the prettiest thing (grab rail) but worker very well.
If you want any more info send a U2U and I can pass on other info

bike mad 02-May-2006 16:22

yep sort the seat out and they're far better than you would think, just try and stay out of large cities, ps I'm 6'4 and no stick insect, I have got higher bars but not by much but they help in the towns,
:flame::burn::burn:

antonye 02-May-2006 16:30

Steve,

Come to one of our Pub Nights as Glenn has got a 999 and was discussing touring options, including getting a Ventura kit for it. I don't know if he's got one yet, but he'll be your man to speak to.