Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Split fork (/showthread.php?t=13503)

dave996 24-Jan-2005 11:27

Split fork

It's as painfull as it sounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Went to put my bike back together after a long winter of cleaning it and I have noticed that the left hand forkhas a split in it:barfy:
It is about 10mm long and goes right to the edge of the fork.
I've had the bike about 6 to 8 months and have never noticed it before, where do I stand legally (if anywhere) with the shop I bought it from or with Ducati as it could be a fault.
The bike has not been abused and I've covered less that 2000 miles (as I was saving for a big service)
Any idea how much this will cost to repair.:flame:

Braai Boy 24-Jan-2005 11:35

Can you post up a pic so we can get a better idea?

Felix 24-Jan-2005 11:36

Where exactly is the split? Can you post a picture or describe it further?

dave996 24-Jan-2005 11:39

I'll go take one now.

TTFN

dave996 24-Jan-2005 12:11

:sniff:

Harv748 24-Jan-2005 12:18

Its difficult to see in the piccie, but I assume its the area just above the fork bottom.

That kind of thing, although I've never seen it before, looks like either some form of manufacturing fault or something that has been caused by the forks suffering from some form of impact at some point.

Could you give us some more details on the bike...age/history etc. You say its only dome 2000 miles, is that from new?

If its a manufacturing fault then I would say you had a good case against Ducati for a replacement FOC irrespective of if the bike is out of warranty or not. If there is an issue of possible past crash damage...then obviously not!

Any chance of a couple of clearer pictures.

dave996 24-Jan-2005 12:29

Sorry I wasn't clear...the bike has done 11k but I have only done 2k, I've had the mudguard off before and I never noticed it and a duc mechanic up in Lincoln has had the wheels out of it and given it a good look over and had not noticed it.

It's a 1999 996, I am the second owner and it has not been crashed as far as I'm aware, it's not been around the track or wheelied and no stoppies.

It was bought from Hughenden M40 m/c just off of the M40/A329 (you might know it)

I'll go and take some better pictures.

Thanks for the reply

Dave

keefer 24-Jan-2005 12:36

That's real strange.
I have never seen a fork leg like that ?
is there oil coming out or is it just the plating that's gone strange ?
first impression was impact damage. but difficult to see

rockhopper 24-Jan-2005 12:39

If it was an actual crack then you would expect oil to be coming out i would have thought. Maybe someone has used a screw driver to get the oil seal out at some time and its cracked the anodising which is now lifting away as the leg corrodes under it.

Second hand standard forks appear on Ebay quite often for not much money.

dave996 24-Jan-2005 12:41

here's 1