Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Plz HELP! Ducati won't start... (/showthread.php?t=20446)

Zishan 05-Aug-2005 08:13

Plz HELP! Ducati won\'t start...

Hello,

I have a 2001 Ducati 748S. I haven't started it in a few months due to personal circumstances. Finally I got around to getting it out of storage. But now it won’t start.

I drained the gas and poured fresh gas. I installed a new battery as well.

The bikes powers up and turns over, but wont catch. We tried and tried, but no luck. One thing I noticed, I don't hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition on. I checked the fuses to the top left of the battery, but they are all good.

Any ideas? Please, anything, I desperately want to ride this weekend...

Thanks,
- Zishan
:(

Mad Dog Bianchi 05-Aug-2005 08:26

sounds like the pump. You should hear it.

ath748 05-Aug-2005 08:36

Guess if you can't hear it, it ain't working.

skidlids 05-Aug-2005 09:11

Is there a relay not working, it could be the pump itself but it may be down to a relay that switches the pump on, Haven't got a circuit diagram with me but if memory is working this morning it may be the little yellow relay on the side of the battery box.

m1keyp 05-Aug-2005 09:15

As I understand it If the bike has been left a long time the fuel "goes off" quite literally gumming up the works.

As stated above if you can't hear it it isn't working.

Careful when you take the tank off those quick releae fuel feeds are brittle.

Mike

itexuk 05-Aug-2005 09:17

Not sure if a 748 has a side stand switch, if it has is the stand up / switch stuck.

rockhopper 05-Aug-2005 09:27

Depends on how many months a "few" actually is!

Both our bikes quite happily sit for a good three months over winter without being started and we have no problems come the warmer weather. If it stretched to 12 months then i'd start getting worried!

andyb 05-Aug-2005 09:32

Sure you reconnected it properly after having the tank off to drain it?

748mart 05-Aug-2005 09:39

Fuel pump relay is one of the 2 large relays under the seat. The other large relay is for the CPU power. first thing to do is remove them give them a reasonable tap on the floor & replace.

When the ignition is turned on you should hear both relays click on & after about a 1 second delay the pump relay should click off.

I had exactly the same symptons on my bike & fault turned out to be cooked alarm wires.

rxtim 08-Aug-2005 14:28

Alarm may be a good call - so if it has one check it hasn't gone into hibernation mode, if it is a Datatool they can do funny things occasionally. Check the alarm fuse - assuming it has an alarm.