Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   General Motorcycles only (/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   URGENT HELP PLEASE (/showthread.php?t=24859)

icarus 08-Dec-2005 20:28

URGENT HELP PLEASE

I also posted this in the 'SS' forum (sorry but I need to make a quick decision and need quick advice)

Went to the bikeshop tonight to sign the finance for my Ducati (2003 SS) and as it was being warmed up for a test ride the exhaust downpipe on the vertical cylinder started glowing red hot, I took it out but it seemed like it was a bit rough and not as crisp as it should be.

The mechanic at the bike shop (not a ducati dealer) told me it was normal and they all do it!! My 600ss doesn't and I've never seen another do it - so is it normal?

The bloke at Ducati Manchester said there was definately something wrong with it but the mechanic at the bike shop where I was about to buy it from insisted his SP2 does it all the time.

nelly 08-Dec-2005 20:49

I've seen a couple of downpipes glow red but they've been either on dyno, or Ti systems being setup on the bench.
Unless the bike was ticking over for a very long time, then there is something amiss. I'd guess the mixture is set on the lean side??

TP 08-Dec-2005 23:15

Run away ...!!!!

GsxrAge 08-Dec-2005 23:26

Yep as nelly says it's running lean on that cyclender don't buy untill they have sorted it or agree to pay for a duke expert to sort it.

rockhopper 09-Dec-2005 09:37

Someone has done the belts and got them one tooth out perhaps. Very lean mixture also. Dont walk away, run as fast as you can. Don't let them try and fix it either, there are loads of others out there. Who knows what other damage has been done while its been running like that.

Washboard 09-Dec-2005 09:48

I'm sure the bike is fixable, but if the mechanic reckons they all do that, clearly he hasn't a clue. I'd trust the bike but not the dealership. However, you don't know how long it's been doing this, so I'd go and find another one.

This one didn't sell on Ebay a couple of weeks ago, maybe still available, it seemed like a bargain to me, but I wasn't looking for a 750!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Twinfan 09-Dec-2005 10:25

Doesn't sound right to me. If you haven't signed the finance yet, walk away.

If you have signed the finance, you have a cooling off period. I'd use it to get out of the agreement, but you need to act fast.

The bike *may* be fine, but do you want to take the risk???

Brent 09-Dec-2005 10:49

I've got an 03 750SSie - never seen the pipe glowing, even on a track day.

yorkshire pud 10-Dec-2005 13:27

:barfy:wlak away

yorkshire pud 10-Dec-2005 13:33

walk away. as well:lol::lol: