Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   General Motorcycles only (/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Bike storage advice (/showthread.php?t=36271)

Nattyboy 14-Sep-2006 20:23

Bike storage advice

Just putting the track bike away tonight until spring after the brands do last night - anything in particular you'd do before laying a track bike up (or indeed any bike) for that length of time ??

Cheers
Nat

Sharpy G 14-Sep-2006 20:29

give it to me, I'll look after it ! keep it running !!

jeff st4s 14-Sep-2006 21:25

Waiting to get shot down here, I am a watchmaker and a fussy fecker at that, so could be talking too much in the Bo****ks dept.

I'd stick it on an Optimate at least once a month.
Keep the tank full (stops rust I was told, was even told to put some sort of treatment stuff in with the fuel).
Keep an eye on tire pressures and give them a spin round if resting on them.
Fire up engine for a while, just to keep oil in all the right places.

Gaz 748 14-Sep-2006 21:39

My Ducati watch has stopped working :o

Could be worn rockers :o

jeff st4s 14-Sep-2006 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz 748
My Ducati watch has stopped working :o

Could be worn rockers :o

Spoke to someone in the big red D once, told me something I already knew Briel are Sh**e and are nothing but trouble.

Gaz 748 14-Sep-2006 21:45

No makers name on it, just Ducati

It just needs a service, or a new battery :lol:

jeff st4s 14-Sep-2006 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz 748
No makers name on it, just Ducati

It just needs a service, or a new battery :lol:

Stick on the optimate, if not use a hammer to remove it from your life and then move on.

Gaz 748 14-Sep-2006 21:51

I quite like it, but dont wear it much, use the mobile,

it`s the future you know :lol:

Carbon749 14-Sep-2006 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff st4s
Spoke to someone in the big red D once, told me something I already knew Briel are Sh**e and are nothing but trouble.

A bit off topic for the thread, but, what would you go for in the way of watches ?

I know which way I'd go financially, just wondered what would be your recommendation ?

jeff st4s 14-Sep-2006 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon749
A bit off topic for the thread, but, what would you go for in the way of watches ?

I know which way I'd go financially, just wondered what would be your recommendation ?

The gosple according to me!
Quartz watches are S**t.
Gold plated anything is like throwing your money away.
In years to come, steel or gold or platinum, even if it is only 9ct gold is best.
Mechanical watches are where it's at. It's not about accuracy to the zillionth of a second, want the best bike, is a Duke it? it about personal choice.
Most decent modern stuff is going to cost £1500-2000.
You can buy the same gear in auction (like most things be careful what you buy here as it can be a graveyard to offload the unfixable) then send it back to manufacturer for refurb, to like new and should save money, prime example is Rolex.
If you still want new and have £4-5000 to burn, look at Lange, German, weeeeesssss all over modern Patek Philippe (swiss).
My personal favourites are pre 60's 70's watches, I think they have more style and character. In general the materials are made to a better standard in as much as the parts do not seem to wear and need replacing as often, problem with modern ones is when the parts run out as they consume more, how do you fix them? Some companies have a very poor attitude to long term supply of materials. Down side to older watches, is may not be waterproof and cannot really beat the cr*p out of them like say a modern Rolex.
Treat like a classic car, treat it with a bit of love and respect and you'll be a happy boy with something that is more stylish and understated.
Of the earlier period Patek were the Dogs Bollo***, but they dropped the ball and Herman the German picked it up.

As long as you do not become a train spotter and consume loads of my precious time I need so much of it at present, so I can destroy my reputation on this site, send me a PM if you need more. I do have contacts in Switzerland that can sometimes get me deals on stuff.