Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   electrics/battery.... (/showthread.php?t=5318)

Lily 16-Feb-2004 21:05

electrics/battery....

Can you give me some pointers??

battery was dying on bike, could see ignition light and hear pump prime, but it would not start and just clicked.

Bought a new battery and have come to put it on and not getting a dicky bird. No light, no pump prime, nothing.

It has an optimate connector attached to terminal and a meta alarm which has the sleep mode thingy.

I checked all the fuses that were obvious, but all seemed ok, anyone got any suggestions??

Dibble 16-Feb-2004 21:07

Killswitch ..???

Lily 16-Feb-2004 21:28

yes, checked the killswitch :)

nelly 16-Feb-2004 21:34

Not too clued up on Meta, but isn't there a reset that you need to do if the bike has been left for a certain time??
Might need resetting after you swapped the battery over?
I think you need the killswitch on (run), sidestand up if you have the safety cutout, hold the alarm button down and turn the ignition on............whilst still holding the fob button down until it comes back to life...........phew. :o
you might need 4 pairs of hands to ;)
Other than that, check your main fuse. In the fuse box, rhs frame tube. Could've popped it when you swapped the battey over.

Ericsson 16-Feb-2004 21:36

More stupid suggestions:
Checked the solenoid plug?
Checked the starter lead and connection to starter motor. Rubber thingy collects water and connections gets oxidized and corroded.

/Uffe

Lily 16-Feb-2004 21:45

tried the reset thingy on alarm, but nothing...but ignition light should come on anyway and it didn't

checked main fuse and all fuses i could find and they all seem ok

It was trying to start last week with old battery, so all connections were ok then.

yours, frustrated and girly up north..... :(

Iconic944ss 16-Feb-2004 21:48

seems strange that you had ignition lights b4 changing your battery but not after - so Nellies diagnosis sounds good, an alarm type prob.....

I wonder what voltage your old battery is giving out??? Do you or anyone near you have a volt/multimeter???

Frank

DJ Tera 16-Feb-2004 21:59

Checked the fuse in the alarm?

skidlids 16-Feb-2004 22:11

My Meta immobiliser only interups the fuel pump circuit and the start circuit, it does not interfere with the Neutral light etc.
Is it the correct battery ie. are the terminal posts the same, positive to the right front and negative to the left front, are all connections made to the battery, is the main fuse on the side of the battery OK, has the new battery got a charge on it as in reading above 12volts.

Lily 16-Feb-2004 22:15

ahhh, bugger it....

Might move this thread to Market Place

Anybody want to buy a nice Ducati?

Looks great, one careful lady owner...slight starting problem :lol: