Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Supersports: SS / SuperSport / Supersport 950 (/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   SS Side Stand Question! (/showthread.php?t=79691)

antonye 09-Jun-2009 22:36

SS Side Stand Question!

1 Attachment(s)
I found a side stand off my old 600SS in the back of the garage, so I've pulled it apart and cleaned it ready to put on to ebay this weekend.

Now I've put it back together, it feels like the sidestand is one of those auto-spring-up ones rather than one that will hold in position. Is this right? It's from a 1996 600 SS (carby) if that makes any difference?

I had a quick skim through the Haynes manual but couldn't find anything in there except one picture which shows the springs in the same position from what I could make out.

So, does your SS stand flip up once the weight is off it or do you have to kick it up? Do the springs look like they're fitted right?

Ta!

skidlids 10-Jun-2009 09:02

Yep flip up spring plate and an indicator on the dash to let you know when its down. A lot of owners chopped down the head of the bolt so that the spring plate would move over it to stop the stand flicking up.

Paul James 30-Jun-2009 14:03

If you want a better fix (reversible) for the flip up stand I make a lazer cut stainless steel plate to replace the original one which is dead easy to fit. Fits loads of earlier models.

ducbird 30-Jun-2009 19:07

yes my 600ss has the stand that flips up once you move the bike...

Paul James 01-Jul-2009 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducbird
yes my 600ss has the stand that flips up once you move the bike...

Dead easy to fix using the replacement plate if you don't like the flip up. There are "for and against" arguments for the idea. One thing it helps is if you want to pull the bike upright to check the oil level without the stand flipping up.

ducbird 01-Jul-2009 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul James
Dead easy to fix using the replacement plate if you don't like the flip up. There are "for and against" arguments for the idea. One thing it helps is if you want to pull the bike upright to check the oil level without the stand flipping up.

I have got used to the flip up, ghost gave me a stand that doesnt but for now as a newbie rider i will have the flip up so i dont forget to put it up cause you know what will happen in my blonde moments i will do just that

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Paul James 02-Jul-2009 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducbird
I have got used to the flip up, ghost gave me a stand that doesnt but for now as a newbie rider i will have the flip up so i dont forget to put it up cause you know what will happen in my blonde moments i will do just that

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Fair point, always benefits to either option. Got to admit that when I first changed the stand on my 750ss I did ride off with the stand down.

Only did it once mind you :D :)