Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   748s/748r (/showthread.php?t=4748)

Michael J 22-Dec-2003 14:59

748s/748r

Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between the s and the r. Would I be right in thinking that the r is more track focussed. I've been offered an r but I don't want to be bounced out of the seat every time I go over a catseye!!5 m:o
Is the s more road focussed? Sorry to ask questions and not make any contribution but that will def. change soon.
Thanks for any help volunteered.
Mike

Jon 22-Dec-2003 15:10

Micheal, the R is well at home on the road or the track. Major differences are depending on year, is in the engine dept, ti conrods etc, this allows the engine to rev higher and quicker than std 748 lump. Comes with a slipper clutch, race can's and road can's & chip. Rear paddock stand, carbon fibre panels, single seat unit,
ohlins suspenders all round.

If I could afford either, it would be the R

Ask Guido for his opinion, he's had two years and 20,000 odd miles under his belt.

Jon

Lily 22-Dec-2003 15:13

Don't really know much about the technical differences between the two (I am a bird after all), but I have ridden both and the R was far nicer in my opinion.

The only thing that I know extra to what Weeksy said is it also comes with the Ducati basic version of the slipper clutch.

Mine is just as happy on the road as the track...I can bin it on either :D

antonye 22-Dec-2003 16:05

Go for the R you numpty!

Hurry up before I put a deposit down on it myself :D

Michael J 22-Dec-2003 16:19

I already have Ant. Thanks for the advice all. I just wasn't sure if the R is a road bike cos after all, it was a homolo, I mean a homolog, erm a ...Oh bugger it who cares.
Merry Chrimbo everyone:)

antonye 23-Dec-2003 09:18

Well done that man! I'm sure you won't regret it and will be enjoying the perils of Ducati ownership next year - the perils being how you're going to afford the next trick part or track day :D

Now all you need to do is send your 25 quid off and join the club proper ... I'll even put a Membership Form in your calendar order just to remind you ;)

Michael J 23-Dec-2003 10:09

I Joined a couple of weeks ago Ant. Had my members pack complete with Pronto included. Hope to meet ya sometime soon. Also hope to see the guys from Beds, Cambs and Herts early in the new year too. Thanks for making my mind up for me guys - I'll send you the bill:D:D

Dibble 23-Dec-2003 10:24

Good choice MichaelJ ..

No doubt see you at a track day soon !!!!

JPM 23-Dec-2003 10:37

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon
Micheal, the R is well at home on the road or the track. Major differences are depending on year, is in the engine dept, ti conrods etc, this allows the engine to rev higher and quicker than std 748 lump. Comes with a slipper clutch, race can's and road can's & chip. Rear paddock stand, carbon fibre panels, single seat unit,
ohlins suspenders all round.

If I could afford either, it would be the R

Ask Guido for his opinion, he's had two years and 20,000 odd miles under his belt.

Jon

Doesn't have carbon panels.....

R basically has more engine work, cams, rods, valves, ecu, single injectors (???) plus depending on year Ohlins front and rear, should come with colour coded mirrors and Ohlins damper, but have seen some without, guess the factory "forgot"!!!

Downside is that each service (ducati service) is more expensive, as the belts need changing every 6K, not 12K as others models need, saying that I change mine at 6K anyway, to be safe.

Other downsides is fuelling, great when moving, but can easily stall when slowing down/coasting to stop, this can be someone adjusted via chip etc to prevent it happening as often, but have yet to see one which doesn't do it.

Also have lighter Marchesini's (alloy) and I think slightly different offset of discs etc, Nelly will no doubt correct me on this.

rcgbob44 23-Dec-2003 11:03

Get yourself a nonda CG125!