Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   888 Vibration (/showthread.php?t=19282)

beancounter 01-Jul-2005 13:53

888 Vibration

You guys may remember I limped home from the last BHC rideout two weeks ago with (what I thought) was a fairly serious vibration from the engine (888 SP4).

Happily, the bike's just had the all-clear from Martin at Forza and Geoff Baines, both of whom have given it a good thrashing round the Silverstone roads and can find nothing wrong with it (goes like a scalded cat, apparently - I wouldn't know officer !)

Now obviously I'm very happy to hear this, but at the same time I'm puzzled as to how I could think there was something quite major wrong with the bike, when there isn't (or, there isn't any more).

I can't think of any fault which would manifest itself intermittently in this way - can anyone else ?

Maybe it's just as Keefy said - a Sparkin' moment !

Any comments ?

Thanks

TP 01-Jul-2005 14:03

I'm certainly no mechanic so I can't help you there, but Baines have a good reputation for these things so if they've given it a clean bill then I'd just give her the berries.

I can understand you being a bit cautious though.

beancounter 01-Jul-2005 14:05

Thanks Tony.

See you Monday at Brands.

TP 01-Jul-2005 14:10

Quote:

Originally posted by beancounter
Thanks Tony.

See you Monday at Brands.

What are you taking to brands?

Such choice ...

beancounter 01-Jul-2005 14:11

Tony, I will be creeping round on my long-suffering SPS...

That poor bike...

TP 01-Jul-2005 14:23

Quote:

Originally posted by beancounter
Tony, I will be creeping round on my long-suffering SPS...

That poor bike...

:)

I'm sure you'll be fine! I shall be mostly trying to strangle my monster and willing it to go faster.

paynep 01-Jul-2005 17:18

Stupid question, but what condition is your chain in?

All of my bikes have done a fair mileage and it is amazing how smooth they feel with a new chain and sprockets.
Someone else caning(sorry testing) your bike for a few miles is different to doing a run on a bike you are used to.

beancounter 01-Jul-2005 17:22

Chain looks ok to me. Bike's only done 12000 miles but the chain is a 'gold' one so not original.

I've only had the bike a few weeks and ridden it a handful of times, so I'm barely used to it myself.

It's a mystery to me but then most things are....

sparkin 01-Jul-2005 17:58

Mine`s perfect now,what vibration I did have seems to have gone altogether with the new slipper clutch:smug::D and I can get neutral without turning it off now,which is a bonus!
But I`ll be honest some days it seems more vibby than others,and like Paul say`s chain makes a big difference,it was the first thing my dealer asked when I thought mine was vibrating.Tight spot possibly??

Monty 01-Jul-2005 19:36

Could have been as Sparkin says a chain tight spot-bit of a thrashing will loosen the chain up-voila-no vibration.

John