Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Dropping bike on left side (/showthread.php?t=13847)

smilo006 03-Feb-2005 13:03

Dropping bike on left side

Anyone got experience of the kind of damage that occurs when 996 is dropped, whilst in motion on left (as you sit on the bike), especially water pump and related engine case damage. Track experiences especially interesting?:borg:

nelly 03-Feb-2005 13:34

They seem to bounce quite well on the left. Other than bars, levers etc. which get clouted, the pump housing can get smashed. It's not that strong and cast, which makes it brittle. If this goes, the impellor can get punched into the drive gear.......sometimes.
If the impact is hard enough the pump takes the hit but the crankcase cover can get cracked to. Only seen this once though.
Top corner of rad can take a hit to. Don't know why, but the only bent rads i've seen have always had damage to the left side only????

Redruth 03-Feb-2005 14:06

Sorry, can't help. Only ever drop mine when it's stationary. :lol::lol:

antonye 03-Feb-2005 14:56

Yep, Nelly is right - smashed pump housing, twisted rad, handle bar and rear set for me!

TP 03-Feb-2005 15:04

I dropped mine on the left at Rocky. But it was after a long excursion through the gravel trap and then onto the grass. One panel was in around 14 pieces, ripped the belly pan open and a few scratches on the marchesini's and frame - thats it. Not even damage to the LHS foot pegs!

smilo006 03-Feb-2005 15:22

Cheers. Reason being that I have hunted down a carbon / kevlar water pump cover from Forza Italia. They also have one that extends to the casing as well. If only I could find out how to load files properly. Is there a limit or something?

JPM 03-Feb-2005 15:35

If you're really unlucky you could get some damage to the swingarm on the l/h side also...

TP 03-Feb-2005 15:37

Quote:

Originally posted by jpmercer
If you're really unlucky you could get some damage to the swingarm on the l/h side also...

That reminds me, I had a carbon swingarm protector on the swingarm which was scratched up - that would have happened to the swingarm!

antonye 03-Feb-2005 15:42

Send it over to me - essex (at) ducatisportingclub .com - and I'll get it onto the site.

antonye 03-Feb-2005 17:59

Pump cover....