Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   BACK FIRE (/showthread.php?t=28024)

TORTUGA 09-Mar-2006 18:30

BACK FIRE

Anyone know why my 999S will struggle to start and then let out a huge back fire. It has done it 3 times now since getting it out from hybernation.:puzzled:

dickieducati 09-Mar-2006 18:33

simply because its struggling to start i think. is it on a charger?

TORTUGA 09-Mar-2006 18:40

yes its on one of those optimate units. It starts ok most of time but like I said about three times now it has tried to start and then died. I have repressed the starter and it turns over and then bang. It is fitted with a full 54mm Termi system with a termi ecu so it has the one touch starter unit.

itexuk 09-Mar-2006 18:43

Could be bad fuel as it does go off. Have you put fuel in since getting it out from hybernation.

TORTUGA 09-Mar-2006 18:51

Yes I filled it with Super Unleaded just before having some new tyres fitted. I tried to start it at the tyre fitters to leave and everyone ducked for cover (Rough Part of Bristol). It maybe dirty plugs as its seen little use since early November. I have started it a few times and let it run on tickover for half an hour until the fans cut in but thats about it.

dickieducati 09-Mar-2006 18:51

Quote:

Originally posted by TORTUGA
yes its on one of those optimate units. It starts ok most of time but like I said about three times now it has tried to start and then died. I have repressed the starter and it turns over and then bang. It is fitted with a full 54mm Termi system with a termi ecu so it has the one touch starter unit.

i have exactly the same set up and mine did it when it was not starting well. i would give it a bit of a run and see what happens when the weather warms up a bit. hopefully it just a glitch.

duc daz 09-Mar-2006 20:25

yer mine did it after leaving it for about six weeks with stale petrol in it

chippy 09-Mar-2006 21:50

once had same prob with my 749, turned out to be front plug /coil corrosion . this caused it to backfire. now got rid of bike got fed up of niggles.

Gbyte666 10-Mar-2006 01:35

Quote:

Originally posted by TORTUGA

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but I have just got a 749S with Termis and I guess ECU, ( I duno, how do I tell, I can tell on my 996 as I can see where the chip is in the rear end, as the ECU takes up most of the back lol and the fact that I have the standard chip stored safe) Not heard of a one touch starter unit, Can anyone tell me more on this. Sounds like my Mrs car, button ignigton start 1 press and relase. Any advantages ?

Craig

weeian 10-Mar-2006 01:55

Quote:

Originally posted by chippy now got rid of bike got fed up of niggles.

its called character :frog:

/ian