Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   First post - 748 Sprocket! (/showthread.php?t=80204)

Messer 29-Jul-2009 15:47

First post - 748 Sprocket!

Hey everyone,
I've only just come across this site, I am a member on a couple of other Ducati sites but was hoping you may be able to help?

My rear sprocket on my 97 748 has spat 2 teeth, although my chain and front sprocket look absolutely fine. So I intended on just renewing the rear sprocket... called ducati and £165!!!!!! what!!

I'm also not really up for spending upwards of £100 on a renthal/afam/talon carrier and quick change sprocket, just looking for something to replace my standard one (which is a 37T). Dont mind if its a 38..

Can anyone point me the right direction?

Thanks
Tony

nelly 29-Jul-2009 16:00

B&C do pattern steels... still £70 or so plus VAT though

Andy748 29-Jul-2009 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messer
Hey everyone,
I've only just come across this site, I am a member on a couple of other Ducati sites but was hoping you may be able to help?

My rear sprocket on my 97 748 has spat 2 teeth, although my chain and front sprocket look absolutely fine. So I intended on just renewing the rear sprocket... called ducati and £165!!!!!! what!!

I'm also not really up for spending upwards of £100 on a renthal/afam/talon carrier and quick change sprocket, just looking for something to replace my standard one (which is a 37T). Dont mind if its a 38..

Can anyone point me the right direction?

Thanks
Tony

Tony,

I have one (38T I think) that only had about 1000miles on it when I replaced it with a Renthal. Happy to post it out to you for £30 inc P&P

Regards,

Andy O

Messer 29-Jul-2009 22:00

hi andy thats great i'll drop you my details tomorrow. Cheers :)

Jools 30-Jul-2009 00:45

Don't wanna **** on yer chips mate but I've tried to do the cheapo replacement bit on a worn set of sprockets before. Put a 'new' low mileage rear sprocket on without replacing the chain at the same time and the shagged chain ate the new rear sprocket inside 500 miles

Andy748 30-Jul-2009 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jools
Don't wanna **** on yer chips mate but I've tried to do the cheapo replacement bit on a worn set of sprockets before. Put a 'new' low mileage rear sprocket on without replacing the chain at the same time and the shagged chain ate the new rear sprocket inside 500 miles

Tony,

Up to you, but if you are concerned about what Jools has said, I actually have the chain and front sprocket as well. They were all put on and came off together - as I had to go for a longer chain to accomodate the larger rear sprocket I had installed. You will need to get hold of a new soft link though. Not really sure what it is worth, drop me a PM with your details and let me know which way you want to go.

Andy

Messer 30-Jul-2009 22:31

PM Sent :-)