Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Realistic costs for the race series? (/showthread.php?t=12345)

dickieducati 14-Dec-2004 13:24

funky. :D

antonye 14-Dec-2004 13:31

Quote:

Originally posted by dickieducati
you recon you'll make it out of the holding area ok ??

What makes you think your bike will after I've had a quick fiddle with it? :devil:

dickieducati 14-Dec-2004 13:54

Quote:

Originally posted by antonye
[What makes you think your bike will after I've had a quick fiddle with it? :devil:

toooooo much information:lol::lol::lol:

couchcommando 14-Dec-2004 17:19

Quote:

Originally posted by Iconic944ss

I'm not having having a dig at anyone but carrying the argument to extreme are we looking forward to fairing bashing, carving up into corners and ultimately taking anyone else's line regardless of the consequences.

There is no such thing as your line in racing, if you give someone one mm of trak they will take it, even if you don't give it they will take it ! Ask weeksy about someone taking his line exiting gerards at Mallory ;)

Back to the cost now folk realise it could be expensive I'll show what I spent this year ;)

Already had the bike an RS250, also had a van and caravan and everything else to do with racing.
Bought wets and wheels £400
2 sets of tyres £350
Entries to 8 meetings approx £1200
Fuel, food etc £600

So that's under £3k, it is possible you just have to be very careful or a natural tight bastid like me. And having done this year this way I have set a budget for next year which I won't exceed barring repairs. It's the only way to race and not bankrupt yourself.

The control tyre is a brilliant idea, if only you would race proper motorbikes I'd be interested :sing:

couchcommando 14-Dec-2004 17:20

Oh and Nige's post is about spot on for costs :)

madmav 14-Dec-2004 18:25

Delete the thread i say:lol:

censor it as it is only in the interest of the desmo due boys!!! and not relavent to those of us who aint racing!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Monty 14-Dec-2004 18:50

"Thanks mate, I'd like clarification of this - as I don't want to be spending the whole weekend away.

I'd ideally turn up the night before, qualify in the morning and race in the pm (fall off). This probably sounds unrealistic, but I can hope!"

Not at all unrealistic mate-it's what Johnny B and I did most of this season.
To Re-confirm and to save you all searching the whole posting for info:

The first event at Cadwell we have arranged for a special practice session for Desmodue racers after the main racing-this is not compulsary, but a generally good idea since I doubt that many, or even any of you have ridden the Cadwell Woodland circuit-I know I haven't.
The actual timed practice and 2 races are on the Sunday-so theoretically you could turn up 7am Sunday, get your bike and kit through scrutineering, go out for your timed practice sometime between 9.00 and 10.00, and then do your 2 races during the day. In between all this you will be feeling sick, running to the toilet every 15 minutes, trying to get something to eat down your throat without actually BEING sick, checking the bike constantly, wondering what you have forgotten-oh yes-and runing to the toilet again........:lol:
Racing-natures best laxative-it always has been with me anyway.

I used to race windsurfers on a national circuit, much the same as bikes it involves lots of carbon and kevlar, special clothing, massive expense, weekends away (it usually rains!) and collisions are very expensive-the only difference is falling off just means getting wet-oh yes and there was usually more than 100 starters on the same line.............:o

Cadwell is the only one of our rounds where you may benefit from being there both days and even then turning up at lunchtime Saturday should be fine since you won't be on track until late afternoon.

"if only you would race proper motorbikes I'd be interested"

Hmmmm, 'proper motorbikes' eh couchcommando-if that involves avgas and castrol 747 you should come and play with us-see my avatar.

John

[Edited on 14-12-2004 by Monty]

chris.p 14-Dec-2004 19:07

[quote]Originally posted by uncledunnie

To me, an opportunity has been provided by the DSC for primarily novice racers to test the water in club racing with their much loved Ducati's at a grass roots level in an environment they are comfortable and confident with (DSC) with the help and support of alot of very experienced people which I understand now extends to Ducati themselves. [quote]

Here we go;)
As Uncledunnie said, it is a series for novice racers coming up from trackdays, why not make the series for 1st year novices ony???, no clubman racers etc( sorry Kev).

Chris.:roll:

[Edited on 14-12-2004 by chris.p]

Monty 14-Dec-2004 20:25

By the way folks, 'Dave the storeman' from JHP is actually Dave from parts-and that IS who he is-he has raced twice and apparently fell off both times so he is NOT a 'ringer'

John

skidlids 14-Dec-2004 21:41

I don't mind getting excluded Chris, shame the entry form went in the post over 4hrs ago along with my North Glos membership. New Era membership and ACU licence renewal tomorrow.

It would save me a packet (at least £2K) if I'm not supporting this by entering it.

I will still be racing somewhere with one of my current bikes. Which would free me up for Thruxton on Oct 8th although I would still be at Castle Combe and Donington for two days(North Glos race there the following day).

Who else will be excluded ? Members that have just joined to take advantage of a Series set up by our club. (Came up in conversation with fellow DSC members last weekend and it didn't come from me).

Out of interest how many grid slots aare spoken for so far.

Kev

NBs996 14-Dec-2004 21:54

hang on a minute tho... I kind of agree with the theory of making it for first timers only, but this is s'posed to be for ALL club members, and therefor all should have the same opportunity if they want.

Even if there's some experienced racers, it'd not detract from the idea of making it a good series for us novices. In any case, if a novice starts off in, say, Pro-bike there'd be a heck of a lot more seasoned riders to contend with!

Skidywids, I've seen you race and you're probably one of the more "gentlemanly" competitors so don't even think about backing out bloke, or I'll post some more silly pics of you!!

ali 14-Dec-2004 22:01

Kev can't excluded! He's the HRC to our Harrises! :)

I have no problem being beaten by experienced club racers, and I'm sure there'll be people wanting to go on to bigger and better things that will learn a lot more with some experienced folk around.

Ali

dickieducati 14-Dec-2004 22:21

no one should be excluded, come one come all.

i'm more than happy to learn from better riders.

and anyway say i do well, and like it and want to do it next year it would be a shame to be excluded because i would no longer be a 'novice'

Jon 14-Dec-2004 23:52

Quote:

Originally posted by Rattler
Quote:

twpd - cheers for your post, its about the best response i've read and makes total sense to me (not necesserily a good thing b.t.w).

i think all most of the rules are fine at the moment, but having thought about it, i now believe having a control tyre as a great way forward to keep costs down - it negates the need for extra wheels and therefore cost and we should be able to get some kind of deal with a tyre manufacturer with a bit of sponsorship.

if going forward after the first year the currect riders feel the inclusion of wets is a good idea it could then be changed.

A control tyre seems a great idea - as you say - then there'll be no need for spare wheels / wets etc - keeping costs down and minimising differences.

Tim:frog:

You could make it a Michelin macadam tyre. That way one set will last the whole year
:lol:

NBs996 15-Dec-2004 00:46

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon

You could make it a Michelin macadam tyre. That way one set will last the whole year
:lol:

yeah and collect enough gravel to re-do your drive!

Iconic944ss 15-Dec-2004 08:14

Hmmmm....is there any reason why the DSC couldnt offer a 'little' prize for different categories within DesmoDue??? Overall winner is very likely to be an experienced racer, so why not a prize for the novice racers to spice up the competition?

Not that it seems like that will be a problem :devil:

Rattler 15-Dec-2004 08:50

Quote:

Originally posted by Iconic944ss
Hmmmm....is there any reason why the DSC couldnt offer a 'little' prize for different categories within DesmoDue??? Overall winner is very likely to be an experienced racer, so why not a prize for the novice racers to spice up the competition?

Not that it seems like that will be a problem :devil:

We could have a "staying on" prize!!!

ChrisBushell 15-Dec-2004 09:45

Boys

With regard to prizes you wont believe the thoughts that we have had in this direction. Whilst you can expect small worthless trophies at each round for 1st, 2nd & 3rd, the really interesting ones will be issued away from the track/end of the year.

Apart from the various wooden spoon awards that are possible, creativity knows no bounds as to what else might be on offer.

No where can I order those Chinese rubber chickens?

Chris

ChrisBushell 15-Dec-2004 09:48

With regard to entrants registered, I am holding 16 deposits so far and am aware of at least another three that are due in as of this morning.

Chris

Rattler 15-Dec-2004 10:10

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisBushell
Boys

With regard to prizes you wont believe the thoughts that we have had in this direction. Whilst you can expect small worthless trophies at each round for 1st, 2nd & 3rd, the really interesting ones will be issued away from the track/end of the year.

Apart from the various wooden spoon awards that are possible, creativity knows no bounds as to what else might be on offer.

Chris

Or kermit puppets!!

ChrisBushell 15-Dec-2004 16:15

At present I have to keep our ideas top secret, if I told you I would have to kill you and all that secret agent stuff.

Needless to say some people might not want to win some of the proposed prizes!

Chris

TP 15-Dec-2004 16:20

:(

ChrisBushell 15-Dec-2004 16:34

Kermit hand puppets not a problem, spotted in Bromley lunchtime on my way to the bank!

Chris

dickieducati 16-Dec-2004 00:23

tp is sooooooo going to get the 'i visited every gravel trap' award;)

TP 16-Dec-2004 00:43

Quote:

tp is sooooooo going to get the 'i visited every gravel trap' award;)

Just getting the breadcrumbs ready for your humble pie.

You see, I can finish behind you, it's considered ok, but if I finish in front of you ... well, you'll need to stop posting as Dickie and get an alias, start posting as whippedbiatch or something.

And bow and scrape a lot... ;)

[Edited on 16-12-2004 by tp-996]

dickieducati 16-Dec-2004 01:00

i can honestly say once and for all that if i come second from last i will treat that as a result.

after that who knows?........big tree's from little acorns etc.:D

deej 06-Jan-2005 23:31

wow what a read, weeksy thanks for all your advice a few months ago and now thanks for putting the fire back in my belly !!!!!!!!!

i looked at the title and thought i may find out about acu licence costs and instead got all these arguements about big budgets and small budgets.

now after taking it all into consideration i have worked out that commuting fo5rm cornwall to all the tracks, costs of bike and entry fees, 3 tyres and the bits and i should be able to do it on a budget of £3500 ( inc bike which will be sold on ) so i should expect a loss of £2.5k over the season. im not interested in tyre warmers or generators or anything like that as it doesnt bother me at my first decent bend on the 748 a 1/4mile down the road so whuy worry ona track wheer it will be jam packed at the corner, just a nice sounding set of termi's will do me fine !!!

the main reason i will enter is for the fun,jokes,beer the night before, camaraderie ( spelling ok ? ), the time spent with fellow dscer's oh and the racing too. i know how to ride a bike and confident enough in my own ability not to look stupid on any track but i know i will not win and am not interested in winning, too be honest im looking forward to wearing really garish leathers, a tatty ducati instaed of my 748 and in all honesty i will be on my arse sometime as i doubt i can make any friday practice days.

THE MAiN THING I will need being a novice is any help form you guys when i get there,help getting my chosen beast through the scrutineering and any maechanical help as the hours roll by, im sure that people will all muck in together as thats whats good about the dsc !!!!

this series was started as a fun idea to get people racing and thats the way i'll be treating it,its good honest fun where you can then get home and take the mickey out of each other on here !!!!!!!!

bring it on now i say, got to sell the rvf and then the entry cheques in the post and then ive got to buy myself a bike and i'll be there with you guys.

so who's with me for a beer or 2 then?? august 13 th donington park is my missus birthday so we will be having a little bit of a gathering that night so i'll apologise for the noise from the cornish gazebo now !!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 6-1-2005 by deej]

NBs996 07-Jan-2005 00:49

yeah deej, that's the spirit... you're welcome in my tent, you'll spot it easy, it's the one with the garishly coloured bike glowing inside!

BRING PASTIES!!! :D

not a lot of time to get sorted tho, only 114 days 'till first practice :o

skidlids 07-Jan-2005 01:01

Only 52 days to Pembrey Practice for a certain person if he has his bike by then

chicken 07-Jan-2005 09:59

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisBushell

Chris

Sorry Chris,
contrary to what you may have heard from other sources, I am NOT for sale :D:D:D

antonye 07-Jan-2005 10:20

Well said deej - I'm with you on this one!

deej 08-Jan-2005 16:00

cheers boys

first favour i need then is ::

does anybody want a rvf400 and quick, its going to ebay this afternoon so we'll see what happens

its good to see taht theres people still wanting to do it just for the sake of saying that they have raced motorcycles and not worried about winning/tuning/warmers and all that posh stuff. lets just race and have fun, im actually looking forward to seeing how much i can push a bike as im not worried about picking it up out of the gravel trap as that will be rather fun

i reckon 1 set of tyres will be plenty, i mean its 2 6 lap races a day at about 2.5miles a lapmax which is about 30 miles a day multiplied by 6 meetings is only 200 miles max !! and im probably going to go with pirelli dragon evo's as the 2003 tyres will be alot cheaper than a 2005 diabblo set and will last just as long on a 600 monster !!!

in case your wondering this is my rough budget :

£1500 bike ( inc cans/pegs ) resell afterwards !!!
£700 entry fees
£300 fuel to meetings from cornwall
£100 acu licence and school day
£50 new era membership
£200 1 peice suit ( cheap nasty garrish j&p suit )
£50 medical
£150 tyres inc fitting
£40 oil change
£50 belly pan
£50 new belts
£40 brake lines
£15 new gazebo
£ transponder hire
£20 new brake pads

£3265 not inc transponder hire

£2000 for the season after bike sale, thats not bad for a first seasons racing

im not including petrol for the races as i would be out riding around using up £25 on a sunday anyway, food and drink isnt included as i'll be saving money by drinking tinnies at £10 a crate instead of £40 in the pub on saturday night so thats cash saved so by actually going racing i will be kind of saving money ( hee hee ) so who says racings costly.

hope this helps you all out

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by deej]

NBs996 08-Jan-2005 16:19

I think we can take a few pennies of your calcs deej...

New Era entry fees this year are listed on their website as £95
New Era membership fee is £30, but I've heard it might be £25 for us (?)
That's reduced your bill by £130 already!

Transponder hire is £10 a meet. (£60 deposit, £50 back on return).

skidlids 08-Jan-2005 18:50

Quote:

Originally posted by deej
in case your wondering this is my rough budget :
£1500 bike ( inc cans/pegs ) resell afterwards !!!
£700 entry fees
£300 fuel to meetings from cornwall
£100 acu licence and school day
£50 new era membership
£200 1 peice suit ( cheap nasty garrish j&p suit )
£50 medical
£150 tyres inc fitting
£40 oil change
£50 belly pan
£50 new belts
£40 brake lines
£15 new gazebo
£ transponder hire
£20 new brake pads
[Edited on 8-1-2005 by deej]

£1500 bike, sounds about right
£700 entry fees, New Era paperwork has its entries as £95 per day
£300 fuel to meetings from cornwall, bit futher than most of us have to travel
£100 acu licence and school day, sounds right to me
£50 new era membership mine was £30
£200 1 peice suit (cheap nasty garrish j&p suit ), also try Ebay for a better quality 2nd hand one
£50 medical, no medical required just eye test about £18
£150 tyres inc fitting, Watch for a anouncement soon
£40 oil change, mine cost £26 with new filter
£50 belly pan
£50 new belts, Mine cost £25 the pair
£40 brake lines, Mine with Nickle Cad fittings cost £10 per line
£15 new gazebo
£ transponder hire, £10 on the day

chris.p 09-Jan-2005 11:15

One thing that I have noticed that is not been mentioned is Insurence, not trying to put a downer on things, but bones do get broken, I broke my leg racing in 2000 & had I had a policy by a certain american company) CIS I think) I would have recieved over 3K as I was in hostpital for four days & off work for 3 months. Could one of our present racers let the forum know of the company name & how to contact them.
I think a 4/6 month policy was about £65?.

Chris:burn:

skidlids 09-Jan-2005 12:03

Chris I was only talking about this yesterday with senna3's wife Trudi.
The company is CISA (i think it stands for Combined Insurance Services of America or something like that). they are regular visitors to the race paddocks these days.

Opinions vary , but I think they have improved their act over recent years if the service they provided Adrian with last year following his TT crash.
No soonr had he got home from Nobles hospital in the IOM he went to his local Doctor to see when he would be fit to return to work.
Once the Doctor had pronounced him fit for work the Doctor filled in the insurance forms and in no time what a £2K check dropped through Adrians door, no doubt it would have been more if Adrian had been off work longer or in Hospital longer. Either way Adrian was very happy with the service.

There use to be a link on the North Glos website, hidden in the message board, but that has been revamped recently and a search may not find it.

Kev

[Edited on 9-1-2005 by skidlids]

NBs996 09-Jan-2005 12:17

Found it kev... Combined Insurance Company of America

Linky thing here... http://www.combinedeurope.com/uk/

n

deej 09-Jan-2005 16:11

right guys

whats the link for new era please

sounding good with the costs coming down already !!!!!!! :burn:

NBs996 09-Jan-2005 16:54

http://www.neweramcc.org

[Edited on 9-1-2005 by NBs996]

deej 09-Jan-2005 17:02

cheers nick have found it and am currently printing off the relevant application forms

see ya soon

:eureka: