Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Guidance for buying 916/996 (/showthread.php?t=4073)

PaulC 23-Oct-2003 14:04

Guidance for buying 916/996

Wish to appeal to the collective wisdom out there. I am seriously looking at buying a 996/916, but not having closely followed the development and associated issues (were always out of my price range!), want to know:
- if there is anything specific I should look for that would rule out a bike
- benefits of a 996 over a 916.

Two bikes on the possible list, both similarly kitted out (i.e. pipes, chip and a few other bits of carbon) are a 95 916 with 20k miles for £4500, or a 99 996 with 7k miles for £6000. Both fsh. Is it worth saving the £1500 for the 916, or are there real issues to look for with these sort of miles?

I know it always comes down to individual choice/budget, but any comments welcome.

[Edited on 23-10-2003 by PaulC]

Rattler 23-Oct-2003 14:12

My advice would be....

...go for the later bike if you can afford it. Its a 996 so is a more powerful bike, it'll have later components on it, so less likely to fail (probably) and is lower mileage, so again less worn.

It obviously depends upon useage / history etc....

The other thing to consider is insurance, its likely to cost you more for the 996, so check this first.

Tim:frog:

Shazaam! 23-Oct-2003 14:36

My opinion is that a '95 916 in good condition with most of the original equipment will hold it's value better. It's early Cagiva-style graphics styling is sure to be a classic. The '95 also is one of the few years that didn't exhibit a common problem with flaking chrome plating off the rocker arms. Nevertheless, whichever bike you decide to buy, make the deal contingent on a successful inspection of the rocker arms. It can be a significant hidden expense to repair. Also, check where each bike is in it's service schedule. The need for major service soon is a good way to negotiate a healthy price reduction.

Check out the other reliability issues to be aware of here:

http://ducatisportingclub.com/contro...d.php?tid=4253

PaulC 23-Oct-2003 17:00

Thanks guys, some good wisdom here and at the link provided by Shazaam. Might have to suggest to the management team that some of this wisdom gets put into a FAQ type page for 74*/9**, as I am sure it is the sort of thing that will be asked regularly and I have been unable to find elsewhere (unlike the ST FAQ page that is availalbe). If I can get the 996 for the right price, I think I will probably go that way.