Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   6 speed box for a class bike (/showthread.php?t=167440)

batesy2 15-Nov-2012 12:07

6 speed box for a class bike

Hi Guys, from the wealth of knowledge out there can anyone let me have a list of which donor bike could provide a 6 speed box to fit my 620,
Wayne got misled and ended up with a wrongun
If anyone has one to sell i would be glad to hear from you

Batesy:roll:

Cranker V2 15-Nov-2012 12:43

748/916. 748 is a close ratio box. It's what is going in mine if I can get the enthusiam together. And I am sure skids will be along to say if I am correct or not.

skidlids 15-Nov-2012 13:31

As I have never fitted a 6-speed gearbox I would only be guessing, But Wayne went for one from a bike with a dry clutch (ST2 I think he said) and found it to be different, I might be wrong but I think the shaft is longer, so probably a few issues with aligning the primary drive and also not having your pressure plate grind through the clutch casing.

There are probably 4 or 5 people looking for a 6 speed gearbox at the moment so finding a cheap one may prove hard.

If I was looking for one I would be condisering a gearbox from the following models

Late 620s
695 Monster
696 Monster
800SS, Monster, S2R
1100 Multi with the Wet Clutch

But as I said I haven't tried it myself so can't say for sure

antonye 15-Nov-2012 14:31

The one that went into my old 620SS was from an 800SS.

dunlop0_1 15-Nov-2012 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
As I have never fitted a 6-speed gearbox I would only be guessing, But Wayne went for one from a bike with a dry clutch (ST2 I think he said) and found it to be different, I might be wrong but I think the shaft is longer, so probably a few issues with aligning the primary drive and also not having your pressure plate grind through the clutch casing.

There are probably 4 or 5 people looking for a 6 speed gearbox at the moment so finding a cheap one may prove hard.

If I was looking for one I would be condisering a gearbox from the following models

Late 620s
695 Monster
696 Monster
800SS, Monster, S2R
1100 Multi with the Wet Clutch

But as I said I haven't tried it myself so can't say for sure

Kev. I went round to Waynes and the problem was this. The mesh between the gears on the 620 box is deeper than on the ST2. This put the shaft centers wider apart and therefore it physically would not fit into the bearings/crankcase. So Mike I figure that the 748 will not fit either.

:D

Ghost 15-Nov-2012 16:44

Nowt wrong with just 5 cogs, I'm toward the sharp end and its no hindrance. So was Chris Clarke and Tom H, on little 583's and they are only 5 speed. :o

skidlids 15-Nov-2012 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost
Nowt wrong with just 5 cogs, I'm toward the sharp end and its no hindrance. So was Chris Clarke and Tom H, on little 583's and they are only 5 speed. :o

Spoke to Dallas about it earlier when he popped around, he didn't think there was much in it between a 5 or 6 speed box

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
Kev. I went round to Waynes and the problem was this. The mesh between the gears on the 620 box is deeper than on the ST2. This put the shaft centers wider apart and therefore it physically would not fit into the bearings/crankcase. So Mike I figure that the 748 will not fit either.

:D

Cheers for the info Neil, different issue than I thought then.

As you would say better off spending the money on tracktime

bradders 15-Nov-2012 20:13

Agree, 5 speed not a problem, in fact less changes equals less hassle! In my book anyway...reckon racing electrc bikes next :lol:

Chaz 15-Nov-2012 20:35

748/916 don't fit

Cranker V2 15-Nov-2012 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz
748/916 don't fit

Cheers Chaz