Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   A little help with Marchesini Mag' wheels please? (/showthread.php?t=81061)

Gobert23 09-Nov-2009 16:29

A little help with Marchesini Mag' wheels please?

I've tried a couple of different search, both within the forum and through t'interweb ('Google' n'at) to try and dig out more conclusive information on the different types of Marchesini wheels that were/are available for the (road) 916.

I've got my orginal Brembo three-spoke wheels tucked away for safe keeping and currently have a set of the 'aluminium' Marchesini wheels, but I', still on teh look out for a clean set of magnesium alloy wheels (in the five spoke, not 'snow flake' design).

Does anyone have details on how to identify a genuine set of wheels? What to be looking out for? Part Nos? The last thing I want to do is pay over the odds for a set of race wheels, that'll not fit my road axle...

Many thanks

G

Shazaam! 09-Nov-2009 17:58

1 Attachment(s)
The cast aluminum five-spoke version have a line molded into both sides of the spokes. The magnesium wheels don’t have these lines. Here's a picture of the mag ones.

pguenet 09-Nov-2009 18:16

You also have the road version and multiple race versions:

for the front
- Big hub narrow track
- Big hub wide track

for the read
- small axle (early 955)
- Big axle (later models)
- There are also versions of forged 5 spokes that used to be slightly different on the rear wheels for Factory versions.

smilo006 09-Nov-2009 19:49

not directly useful but interesting to look at and see the differences in weight and giroscopic force.

http://www.hardracing.com/Rims/Marchesini.htm

http://hardracing.com/Rims/WheelWeightInfo.htm

5.5, 6 and 16,5 and 17" as well.

Gobert23 10-Nov-2009 13:59

Cheers guys...

Do all the magnesium alloy wheels have a lattice/webbing behind the (rear wheel) 'spokes' for strengthening or was the design changed?

Trying to find wheels that'll fit my early 916 hasn't proved easy...

Thanks

G

skidlids 10-Nov-2009 15:13

All the rear mags I have come across have more than the 4 dowel locating holes that you find on the road alloy wheels.

RickyX 11-Nov-2009 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobert23
Cheers guys...

Do all the magnesium alloy wheels have a lattice/webbing behind the (rear wheel) 'spokes' for strengthening or was the design changed?

G

I have two sets of Magnesium Marchesinis. one has the lattice stiffeners inside the spoke sections, the other set does not.
I am told that the ones without the stiffeners are from a 955 race bike (small axle).

R

Gobert23 11-Nov-2009 14:11

Thanks guys, this is all useful information... :)

I just need to find another set now.

G

Gobert23 14-Dec-2009 16:26

I'm still on the hunt for a pair of (decent) Mag' Marchesini's... Anyone?? :confused:

s2077r 14-Dec-2009 21:16

I know there are a pair at Carl Harrisons in Harleston. I believe they are the cast Magnesiums. The rare ones .