Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Termis and Mot (/showthread.php?t=17558)

aka.eric 13-May-2005 19:09

Termis and Mot

In case anybody else isnt aware of this,took bike for mot today,with standard pipes on.Tester tells me that exhausts dont have to be marked-BSI or E-- to pass,as long as there NOT stamped Not For Road Use or very loud its ok.Termis are no problem if the only for race use marking is not visable.Could have saved myself the time swapping cans.

keggsey 14-May-2005 10:21

Are you sure, I have had both my bikes failed as they had non standard exhausts, and neither are stamped with "not for road use"

Ended up just taking the standard one along in a bag and that was OK.

Does anyone know the true wording on the MOT test relating to this.

I also heard that if your number plate is not spot on it also counts as a failure now, is that right or another myth?

Rules Hey!!!

aka.eric 14-May-2005 11:47

I know last year things were different,the same testing station wouldnt pass exhausts without BSI,E-- markings.Now apparentley the rules have changed,or they have at the place I use.:puzzled:

Mello-Yellow 14-May-2005 12:46

If the cans are marked not for road use then they will not pass the test.

You can have aftermarket exhausts fitted road legal or not, it's then up to the tester to decide if they are to load or not.

swannymere 14-May-2005 14:22

It's always best to check with your MOT tester before your test as each one is different.You will fail however with 'Not for road use' or 'For race use only' stamps on your cans.As these are likely to get you into trouble with the police it's best to remove or disguise before riding on the road.

ath748 14-May-2005 17:24

Termi's have the stamp on the upper side of the cans, therefore you cannot see the Not For Road Use wording unless you take them off :D Well, that's where it's stamped on mine anyway.

Mine passed fine.

Ade.

John W 16-May-2005 14:52

Yep, I asked my local shop on Saturday if I would need to swap back to standard cans.
Response was the same - MoT rules have changed so as long as the 'not for road use' marking is not visible, or they are excessively loud, will be fine.
The guy said to me mine would be fine (carbon cans on the ST4S which are pretty loud imo, Ti cans on the 998 which are also pretty loud :D )

Btw, he also told me if there just happens to be a sticker over where it should say 'not for road use', they cannot (or should not) remove it ;)

rockhopper 16-May-2005 14:54

Still have to watch out for construction and use regulations though....

John W 16-May-2005 15:25

That is true Paul.

not wanting to go off on a tangent too much, in my experience the coppers generally give a producer & fine / request for inspection (i.e. pay for another Mot). It's only happened to me twice in 20 years, and neither were on the Ducati. We're not talking about getting stopped here though, its what passes an MoT.

Since most of us swap cans just to get the ticket I'm sure we all know the implications of our actions. If we don't need to swap cans to get a ticket any more its worth knowing about, eh ;)

rockhopper 16-May-2005 17:26

Yeh i know John, just me being picky!