Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Looking for a starter sprag/gear (/showthread.php?t=81104)

Messer 15-Nov-2009 19:18

Looking for a starter sprag/gear

Can anyone help me source one? Good used one is what Im looking for, or new one not at Ducati prices :-)

the bike is a 97 748 SP.

Thanks in advance!
Tony

matt#corse 19-Dec-2009 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messer
Can anyone help me source one? Good used one is what Im looking for, or new one not at Ducati prices :-)

the bike is a 97 748 SP.

Thanks in advance!
Tony

I have a starter sprag and gear off 996.Not sure if it will fit your bike.I had mine replaced at a cost of £400 from ducati including flywheel.

Grrrrrr.

RickyX 19-Dec-2009 11:33

I replaced my 996SPS one myself last year - the parts alone were £350 (not including flywheel).
Sprag bearing is the same as a Honda one but the Honda price is even more expensive!!
Finding good s/h is going to be difficult as "they all do that, sir".......

Good luck with your search....perhaps Santa could get you one (if you've been a good boy).

smilo006 20-Dec-2009 04:33

you can get reconditioned starter motors on the fleebay. Mine was 80 from Pro twins. Having said that it still cost over 700 to get that, the sprag clutch etc changed.

Messer 20-Dec-2009 18:18

cheers for the posts guys, forgot about this thread. Problem sorted now, took it apart and the spring was massively over stretched but sprag and gears were in perfect condition. I got two springs off oil seals that twist lock together and used them to make a spring of the correct size. Bike is working perfectly again and cost me less than 6 quid. I have the part numbers of the seals if anyone needs them let me know