Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Bloomin' Manhole Covers!! (/showthread.php?t=4104)

Mr Nick 24-Oct-2003 19:50

Bloomin\' Manhole Covers!!

Finally fixed my dickie indicators once and for all today on my way home from work - rode over a manhole cover on a bend, front wheel tucked and the bike lowsided ripping my indicators (and lots of other bits :( ) completely off. Bike then hit the kerb and flipped. Picked the bike up and tried to roll it away but unfortunately, the handlebars now point in a completely different direction from my wheel.

Bugger!

Felix 24-Oct-2003 20:11

Unlucky, mate. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Old Yella 25-Oct-2003 09:36

Bad luck fella.

Sounds like twisted fork leg syndrome to me? :(

Rattler 25-Oct-2003 09:39

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tough break mate..... what's the total of the damage?

Mr Nick 25-Oct-2003 15:32

Still waitin' for the insurance to come and drag it away, but at first glance it looks like the enitire body work needs binning (except the tank), forks shagged, clutch housing has worn through, all the pegs and levers are off, headlight housing is smashed, handle bars are fooked... oh I'm gonna have to stop before I start crying!!

Luckily, I escaped with bruised elbows and aching shoulders though I think I'll need to replace my jacket - oh and my helmet's wrecked as well.

That's it, I'm off to sob and look at the sorry little thing in my garage.... :(

Jasper 25-Oct-2003 15:45

Bad luck mate.Not that it's relevant now,but what finally cured the indicators?

Mr Nick 25-Oct-2003 16:28

The wiring on my rear indicators was made from different stuff to that on the front indicators. Front was very flexible, rear was very stiff. Presumably, over the passage of time, this rigidity mixed with vibration had caused the wiring to break away from the lamp holder inside the indicator housing, causing an intermittent fault. I found this when my alarm system fuse kept blowing and it was because I had a direct short through one of my indicators.

Anyhow, like you say, it doesn't really count for much now, but I'll be wiser in the future - if I manage to get the rascal back on the road!!

[Edited on 25-10-2003 by Mr Nick]

kwikbitch 25-Oct-2003 20:02

So sorry...At least yr ok though, being a new rider it's the bloody manhole covers and the diesel that's my main concern...
Let us know when she's better...:(

Mark853 25-Oct-2003 20:56

Sorry to hear what happened mate!

You may be able to claim off the highways department of the local council if the manhole cover was worn and slippy?

All the best

Mark

Road Runner 25-Oct-2003 21:46

MR Nicks off

Sad that mate hope your ok..
Mark 835 is right try and claim of the council you have nothing to loose.
:(:(:(