Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Shazaam! on Engine Systems (/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Oil light at idle (/showthread.php?t=41317)

CipiVTS 27-Jun-2006 15:00

Oil light at idle

Hi all.

I raced my 916 during the weekend and it happened twice when exiting from the track after 10-12 laps to have the oil light flickering at idle. Revving it a bit made the light dissapear, but when the revs dropped it appeared again.

I let it cool for 1 hour and when i started it didn't do it.

Yesterday i drove it in town and no problem.

I also noticed that the oil cooler looks very dirty, full of mud / dirt.

What do you think it can be the problem?

thanks

nelly 27-Jun-2006 16:18

What oil are you running in it and when was it changed? 10W/40 can cause this if it gets too hot.
Fill it with 15W/50 ;)

CipiVTS 27-Jun-2006 16:23

I'm running Shell 10w/40 and it was changed 2 days before the race! Oil level was ok...

Shazaam! 27-Jun-2006 17:22

As a first step, you should carefully straighten any oil cooler radiator fins that are bent from road debris so you get the maximum cooling from the unit. After you straighten them, attach some protective screening to the backside of the V-piece to prevent future damage.

As your oil temperature rises during a track session its viscosity drops and engine oil pressure drops slightly. If you have low oil pressure (as opposed to a bad pressure switch) usually what happens is that initially the oil light will start to flicker after riding hard on the track, but not under normal commuting type riding. Under these conditions you should be using a 50-weight viscosity oil to maintain an adequate oil pressure and use a synthetic oil to give yourself a safety net against oil breakdown at higher temperatures.

Dizmo 30-Jun-2006 00:26

oil pressure

My 996 does this after hard/track riding because its using oil. Top it up and its fine again and it uses no oil at all riding normally. There seems to be no power loss or nasty smoke. Is there something I can do about it, or do I just have to keep chucking oil in her? It has done 27k though

moto748 30-Jun-2006 07:19

You're lucky to have a warning light! :lol:

Mine popped the switch our of the thread in the casing (not uncommon, apparently). It's been replaced by a superb bodge with a bolt and nyloc nut :)

It's due an oil change, though, and it's always nice to see that red light extinguish after you've filled her up and fired her up.

I'll have to get around to getting the casing helicoiled.