Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Slipper Clutches and deep pockets (/showthread.php?t=78405)

speedtherapy 30-Jan-2009 20:05

Slipper Clutches and deep pockets

Howdy Folks

The other week, I was very surprised to learn that slipper clutches are 'technically' allowed in DD and that most of the top 5 were running with them.

I thought that part of the ethos of DD, is that it is supposed to be a cheap series. A slipper clutch costs about half the price of your average bike (yes... complete with cool 3-spoke chopper wheels...). Is it a cheap series... or becoming like most other race classes: the one with the deepest pockest has the best chance of winning.

Your feelings?

Steve GD 30-Jan-2009 20:17

Yep, Class A does allow such devilish devices. Class B does not, however and this is the class in which newbies usually run.
You make a good point, however, and I know the Race Committee spend time and energy trying to achieve the balance between technology and cost.
It is still the case that the rider makes far more difference than the bike, though, in my opinion.

Steve GD 30-Jan-2009 20:28

Oh, and if you haven't found it yet you can read the 2009 rules here

Miss Riot 30-Jan-2009 20:55

[quote=speedtherapy]Howdy Folks

The other week, I was very surprised to learn that slipper clutches are 'technically' allowed in DD and that most of the top 5 were running with them.

Neither Ian Cobby nor Mike Dawson ran slipper clutches in their Class A bikes last year, and they didn't do too shabbily!

Miss Riot 30-Jan-2009 21:03

[quote=speedtherapy]Howdy Folks

And like the master himself told me, we all have a slipper clutch, it's called your left hand! :)

Chaz 30-Jan-2009 21:29

[quote=Miss Riot]
Quote:

Originally Posted by speedtherapy
Howdy Folks

And like the master himself told me, we all have a slipper clutch, it's called your left hand! :)

I'm right handed but at 99 I may change:D:

paynep 30-Jan-2009 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedtherapy
Howdy Folks

I thought that part of the ethos of DD, is that it is supposed to be a cheap series. A slipper clutch costs about half the price of your average bike (yes... complete with cool 3-spoke chopper wheels...). Is it a cheap series... or becoming like most other race classes: the one with the deepest pockest has the best chance of winning.

Your feelings?

RTFM?? :lol:

2005 on Monster 620s came fitted with the wet slipper clutch as standard - some people would rather buy a newer, low mileage bike to race than an older one which needs work.

The Ducati APTC clutch was available for around £300 from dealers which is a shed load cheaper than even my current project....

ali 31-Jan-2009 07:57

I was top 5 and didn't run a slipper. As Paul has said Ducati put APTC 'semi-slipper' clutches in the later monsters. A couple of riders over the years have felt that these weren't progressive enough in their release so have tried fitting 'proper' slippers. I don't know anyone that has managed to get one working well and consistently, but I know a few who have removed them entirely and gone back to std.

As for the money, if it costs you £3.5k for a bike and £4k for a season what's another £450 on a slipper? Personally I'd spend the money on suspension or getting a good nights kip at a b&b.

Miss Riot 31-Jan-2009 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ali
Personally I'd spend the money on suspension or getting a good nights kip at a b&b.

No B&B comes close to the snugness of Trevor the Transit, with the smell of petrol, bikes and oil and the lush combination of thick soft mattress and fluffy pillows. Bliss! Can't wait for the racing season so I can sleep in my van again. In fact if it wasn't so cold I'd go sleep in there now, but my neighbours would think I'm even more mad...

ali 31-Jan-2009 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Riot
In fact if it wasn't so cold I'd go sleep in there now, but my neighbours would think I'm even more mad...

Your speed is obviously directly proportional to your barking madness..... :p

I love kipping in the paddock, and if I had my way every paddock would have a small, sound-insulated boutique hotel with king-size beds, goose-down pillows, egyptian cotton sheets and softly-glowing plasma screens above every bed with 'Faster' on 24hr loop. :lol: