Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Idle Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Halfords (/showthread.php?t=80989)

Col996s 28-Oct-2009 21:59

Halfords

I know large stores like Halfords have huge overheads ect and have to make a profit but I've just fitted a Sony radio to my daughters Ford KA. I needed an adapter kit consisting of a plastic fascia, an adapter lead and an aerial adapter.

Cost of an adapter kit in Halfords £41.(components had to bought separately)

Cost of an identical kit (in the same packaging) off the Internet, including p&p, £13.50

Guido 29-Oct-2009 14:05

Halfords - commonly known as Hal-frauds for that very reason Col along with Little Thief (aka Chef).

khushy 29-Oct-2009 16:57

although I agree . . .

they can be expensive - BUT - if you need/want something now/immediately or if you actually want to see/touch/feel what you are buying in the knowledge that if its **** you can take it back - thats what they do - like any retail outlet.

Convenience and trust - sure you can probably buy ANYTHING cheaper on the net (and I do ALL my shopping on the net) but sometimes time is the enemy.

To say or intimate that they are "frauds" is a little unfair - its your money and you can obviously spend it wherever you want!

But I bet you will end up buying "something" from them in the next few months - we all do!

khushy

Col996s 29-Oct-2009 16:59

I agree. There are always times when you need something now and that's when they are a boon.

khushy 29-Oct-2009 17:00

PS - I was just quoted £24 each for a 26" tyre (from Halfords) for an urgent bicycle service I am doing - needless to say that I ended up buying the exact same ones on eBay for £15 (A PAIR) DELIVERED - but I can wait and for that saving, so can my customer!

khushy

SlowLearner 30-Oct-2009 10:57

On the other hand....

Yesterday they exchanged a Halfords Professional ratchet that had gone rusty.
I bought it in 2006 and had accidentally left it in the bilge of my boat for a month !

No-Quibble over the lifetime warranty :lol:

Jools 30-Oct-2009 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowLearner
On the other hand....

Yesterday they exchanged a Halfords Professional ratchet that had gone rusty.
I bought it in 2006 and had accidentally left it in the bilge of my boat for a month !

No-Quibble over the lifetime warranty :lol:

I agree...I got a replacement torx drive for one which I had hammered into a rounded off hexagonal cap bolt to try and get it out - a brutal trick but it worked. So did getting a no quibble replacement.

KeefyB 30-Oct-2009 12:45

I cant really knock Halfords either.
Yeah,some stuff is on the pricey side,like the car radio kits,(as Col found out)and if you want a number plate making.:o But I can toddle down there on sunday morning and buy most of the tools,oils and filters I need.
Saying that,we have recently had a Wilco motor factors open not far from me,.......and I think they are open on a sunday.:)