Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Supersports: SS / SuperSport / Supersport 950 (/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Original rear shock (/showthread.php?t=27704)

boski69 01-Mar-2006 19:15

Original rear shock

Hi all, just in the middle of a rebuild on my 900SS. Thought I'd have a look at the rear shock, tried to compress the unit on the garage floor, it does not move one millimetre, even giving it a sharp tap followed by a big tap made no difference. Could it have seized or is it f***ed. Anyone any ideas, its a 95 with 25K on the clock.
If I need to replace it whats recommended? Hagon do one forr £250ish. Cheers Bri

skidlids 01-Mar-2006 19:35

Bri, if you take all the preload off the spring and wind the compression and rebound setting to minimum you may get some movement, if not get another shock.
I have a Hagon unit on my DD bike, last time I checked they didn't do a off the shelf replacemen for the early SS but do one for the later SS range which is 5mm longer, giving a bit quicker turning and more ground clearance.
Other alternative is a used unit off a later SS some will be around 5 years old so probably better condition than your original but again it will be 5mm longer

paologray 02-Mar-2006 10:34

ive got a brand new, off the shelf shock in my garage and I tried to compress it. It wouldnt budge a tiny bit...

boski69 02-Mar-2006 19:24

Thanks Skidlids and Paologray, seems like it will probably be ok after all. Cheers, Bri.