Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   1198 / 1098 / 848 (/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   thoughts please (/showthread.php?t=85747)

jase 04-Mar-2012 19:22

thoughts please

ive done a search but not found anything similar so be gentle if its common:D ok ive only had the bike since january so havent rode it much but filled it last week pretty much to the brim then rode it this week when its been nice round town mainly, just as im getting used to it, anyway the fuel light came on and it only had 54 mile on the trip,by the time i refueled it had 64miles i filled up and got 12 liters in, it seems low to me coming from il4's but what do you guys think. it has termi full system and race ecu.(not sure about air filter)

any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Brad3AB 04-Mar-2012 19:25

someone syphoned ur tank lol??

well thats what i think!!

bradders 04-Mar-2012 19:28

848 with spirited riding, I'd have the light on by around 80 miles, and with pottering or m'way cruising over 100.

1098 believe a little juicier, but not that much

Dementor 04-Mar-2012 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradders
848 with spirited riding, I'd have the light on by around 80 miles, and with pottering or m'way cruising over 100.

1098 believe a little juicier, but not that much

Ditti, but what is this "pottering" of which you speak? :lol:

skidlids 04-Mar-2012 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dementor
Ditti, but what is this "pottering" of which you speak? :lol:

Something to do with old folks and sheds, so it will soon be time for you to learn about it Roy :devil:

12 litres so about 2.6 gallons for 64 miles = 24 mpg, bet its running cold and the injection is firing in extra fuel for a rich mixture to deal with low air temp and probably low water temp

Reminds me I may be taping up some of my oil cooler at Brands next weekend

Rod 05-Mar-2012 08:54

80 miles to a tank is the norm and has proved pretty constant in the four years I have owned my 1098S, irrespective of the type of riding you do, give or take +/- 5 miles or so, so yours seems unusually thirsty. How long is it since you changed your air filter BTW? Also might be worth having your fuelling checked. Are you on the stock ECU or a DP or aftermarket one? Just a few things to consider.

jase 05-Mar-2012 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
12 litres so about 2.6 gallons for 64 miles = 24 mpg, bet its running cold and the injection is firing in extra fuel for a rich mixture to deal with low air temp and probably low water temp

Reminds me I may be taping up some of my oil cooler at Brands next weekend

to be honest some of my searches on this have mentioned cold running and that the bike doesnt come off the choke so to speak, which makes me think thats why i stink of fuel when i get off the bike. i havent seen the engine temp get higher than 58c.

rod: im yet to check the air filter as i couldnt tell you if its been done or not the bike has 4500 miles. and a race ecu, again i dont know the make as ive not long owned it. thanks for the comments fella's

Jolley 05-Mar-2012 12:43

I think there is something wrong. Range is about the worst I have heard of, and you definitely shouldn't come off "stinking of fuel". Get it checked at dealer, or run on a dyno for £50.

jase 05-Mar-2012 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolley
I think there is something wrong. Range is about the worst I have heard of, and you definitely shouldn't come off "stinking of fuel". Get it checked at dealer, or run on a dyno for £50.

thanks ill look into it :D

abe1098 06-Mar-2012 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jase
to be honest some of my searches on this have mentioned cold running and that the bike doesnt come off the choke so to speak, which makes me think thats why i stink of fuel when i get off the bike. i havent seen the engine temp get higher than 58c.

rod: im yet to check the air filter as i couldnt tell you if its been done or not the bike has 4500 miles. and a race ecu, again i dont know the make as ive not long owned it. thanks for the comments fella's

Ive got the filter, termi's and ecu on mine mate. It has low milage aswell and at this time of year the temp doesn't get much above 64c unless I'm sat still. On average I get about 110/20 miles to a tank if I'm taking it easy. Yours should definately not be drinking that much, I would get it cheacked asap:(

nelly 06-Mar-2012 15:59

The fuel injection is still adding fuel upto 70 degrees. That's considered "normal". That does seem a little thirsty though. I'd suggest getting it checked/setup properly. The ECU's aren't plug'n'play and need a reset to align everything.
I got around 80miles out of mine but dipped to 65 ish on "spirited" rides.

jase 06-Mar-2012 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelly
The fuel injection is still adding fuel upto 70 degrees. That's considered "normal". That does seem a little thirsty though. I'd suggest getting it checked/setup properly. The ECU's aren't plug'n'play and need a reset to align everything.

i know the original owner bought it from jhp Coventry from new which they fitted exhaust etc surely they would of done the reset?, when run on a dyno can ajustments be made without a pc111? thanks in advance.

nelly 07-Mar-2012 08:41

You'd expect so. Generally, the ECU can't be adjusted. There is software available that can remap the ECU but it's not in wide use.
It'd be worth dropping by your nearest dealer and get a TPS reset done and the idle mixture set. They are the datums from which the fuel tables work from.

jase 07-Mar-2012 09:05

last night i read a huge post on another forum about cold running temps, and wonder if i should wait until the weather warms up a bit to see if its down to the fact it seems to be running in the cold map as its not getting hotter than 56c or cover part of the radiator to see if the temp risses enough to run the hot map and see if mpg's improve. what do you think nelly? and thanks again for the response.;)

Dukeman358 07-Mar-2012 14:25

Jase, don't pay much heed to the cold running stuff, you need to double check your figures and if correct you have an issue!

If you really want to make a difference, chop it in fo an 1198sp with a bigger fuel tank 'simples':p

My 1098s with making excellent progress would do light on at worst about 70 miles on road and 60 on track, 1198sp just a bit longer but if I ride it well;) then 100 before the light comes on.

Sounds like you need to get yours checked out by a competent Ducati Mech mate.

Shazaam! 07-Mar-2012 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jase
... makes me think thats why i stink of fuel when i get off the bike ...

A cold o-ring could cause leaking of the fuel line quick disconnect.

nelly 08-Mar-2012 12:45

thermostat isn't opening til about 70 or 80 so covering rad wouldn't help a great deal. The cold running will have an effect, but a setup is probably the best course.

jase 09-Mar-2012 11:00

ok chaps ive just been on the phone to my local dealer M&S motorcycles newcastle the guy i spoke to passed my info on to the ducati mechanic and he said that a reset wouldnt make that much difference tbh and the Co cant be adjustd on a 1098. so im wondering if i should just wait till the weather warms up and see what happens from there. on a side note does the oil constantly run throught the oil cooler or only when its up to temp like the coolant?

PDL 09-Mar-2012 11:21

24 to the gallon would be about right if you were on the track in the fast group or racing and thrashing the nuts of it.

nelly 09-Mar-2012 11:49

Is the bike on stock exhausts or Termis? I'd misread the thread and assumed you had Termis hence the CO adjustment idea. If the performance ECU is fitted, then adjustment is possible. If it's stock, the lambda in the front header could be playing up...

jase 09-Mar-2012 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelly
Is the bike on stock exhausts or Termis? I'd misread the thread and assumed you had Termis hence the CO adjustment idea. If the performance ECU is fitted, then adjustment is possible. If it's stock, the lambda in the front header could be playing up...

full termi system and race ecu i checked the air filter yesterday and it looked like a termi one, but today i saw on the net the oem one is similar(dont know if the air filter will make much difference or not.

jase 10-Mar-2012 18:30

well ive been out today on a blast and managed 85 mile until the light(spirited ridding) then 15 mile with the light on, when i filled up i got just under 12ltr in. ambient temp was between 10-13 all day and the bike was running a bit hotter so i think its been down to the weather. it was my first proper blast on the twisties and jesus there mental out of corners:D

nelly 12-Mar-2012 13:13

The ECU will be adjustable then....
85 mile isn't that bad tbh. Same set up on mine got down to 65 ish with 80 being the "norm". I'd see how you go now the weather is warming and get it set up at the next service just to be sure.

jase 12-Mar-2012 20:39

thanks again for your input ;)