Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Supersports: SS / SuperSport / Supersport 950 (/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Well nuts driving me nuts (/showthread.php?t=39571)

Red-Duc 06-Dec-2006 17:43

Well nuts driving me nuts

Has anyone else had trouble with these?

Ive given up with the well nuts that hold the fairing on at the side, I had problems with them sliding out when riding, Ive had some new parts made and now there firmly fixed with allen bolts, washers, grommet with a metal spacer inside to stop cracking the panel.

UglyDuckling 07-Dec-2006 07:45

Yep, been there a few times.....and just went and bought some newer ones.
Trick is not to over tighten them....as my old engineering lecturer once told me "there's a difference between having a good cr*p and tearing your ar$e out"

antonye 07-Dec-2006 09:29

The rubber on them deteriorates quite quickly, so they will need replacing every 4-5 years, probably sooner if you use your bike in all conditions.

Speak to "mjbayley" on here if you need any as he sells them on ebay in packs for a hell of a lot cheaper than Ducati !

Iconic944ss 07-Dec-2006 10:05

Yep - they are a problem at times.

I replaced my fairing fastners with large headed stainless mushroom bolts, my local stockist also does some neat stainless washers that have a 'felt' material backing to protect painwork finished off with stainless Nyloc nuts - Job done :)

Frank

katana 07-Dec-2006 11:37

Or you can try rawl nuts. Same thing but made of soft plastic instead of rubber so last a lot longer and are better quality.

Oh and you can get supplies from decent hardwear shops or the nut and bolt place on the north circular near the ace cafe.

Iconic944ss 07-Dec-2006 12:03

Oh yes - number plate nuts and bolts can be put to other uses too :)

Cheers - Frank

moto748 11-Dec-2006 14:21

This is something I'm going to come up against as an SS owner now.

When I had an SS before, it was half-faired, so I didn't need to remove any plastic to change the oil. :rolleyes:

Now I need to do an oil change, so I suppose I'll have to take the whole RHS fairing off? Is that the way to go, or is it feasible to separate the fairing and just remove the lower?

I would have thought that at least the 4 (!) fasteners underneath could be converted to Dzus à la 748/916. Has anyone done this?

The handbook says you can remove the whole lot without undoing the bottom 4 by sliding it under the bike.
But I'd imagine this would be a two-man job, cos you'd have to be very careful that you didn't scratch the paintwork on the floor manoeuvering it around.

I'm talking about an injected bike, BTW, with the "new" shape fairing.

On a brighter note, it feels much happier with a 14t front sprocket, and the suspension is much better now Louigi hasd fettled it for me.

Monty 11-Dec-2006 16:06

1 Attachment(s)
So which 'SS' do you have? I have a 1000ss project which is being fettled at the moment-going to have a very small half fairing on that which I got from Ducati Kamna in Germany-won't be a problem for me to change the oil-the picture shows the original nose part of the standard fairing, new one is only slightly larger.

John

moto748 11-Dec-2006 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty
So which 'SS' do you have?
John

Fully faired 900SSie in yellow.

Having just bought the bike, I can't say I feel much like going to the expense of buying new fairings, especially when the existing ones are in such good condition.

Only drawback I recall with the half-faired bike was the paint lifting off the engine casings :eek: especially the LHS (nearest the gutter).

moto748 11-Dec-2006 19:50

Red-Duc> Any details available of those "parts" you had made? ;)

Drawings, sketches, photos? Pretty please?