Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Cam regrind................. (/showthread.php?t=84763)

Cranker V2 27-Aug-2011 13:35

Cam regrind.................

Does anyone know if 748sp or 748R cams can be reground to a G profile and if so who could do?

pguenet 18-Oct-2011 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cranker V2
Does anyone know if 748sp or 748R cams can be reground to a G profile and if so who could do?

I would think that race cams are all about longer duration / sharper profile. So rather than regrind, it is more about adding more material.

ChrisBushell 18-Oct-2011 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pguenet
I would think that race cams are all about longer duration / sharper profile. So rather than regrind, it is more about adding more material.

We have been doing this on single cylinder Ducati cams for years, normally by grinding the base circle, to get the extra meat on the other side.

The biggest thing however with Desmo cams is that you have to keep the opening and closing profiles perfectly in sync with each other - easier said than done!

I would try Newman Cams of Farnborough Kent in the 1st instance.

Chris

Cranker V2 18-Oct-2011 15:30

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
We have been doing this on single cylinder Ducati cams for years, normally by grinding the base circle, to get the extra meat on the other side.

The biggest thing however with Desmo cams is that you have to keep the opening and closing profiles perfectly in sync with each other - easier said than done!

I would try Newman Cams of Farnborough Kent in the 1st instance.

Chris