Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   General Motorcycles only (/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   pop rivets wont pop (/showthread.php?t=80771)

Mello-Yellow 01-Oct-2009 23:51

pop rivets wont pop

Got some stainless 5mm pop rivets for my termis. Can not get them to pop.
Do have some alloy ones which do pop but are they ok to use on the exhaust.Any ideas.

chris.p 02-Oct-2009 07:39

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mello-Yellow
Got some stainless 5mm pop rivets for my termis. Can not get them to pop.
Do have some alloy ones which do pop but are they ok to use on the exhaust.Any ideas.

What do you mean by "pop"
The rivets for the Termi's are stainless steel and have a larger diameter flange than standard and are a sealed type so that they do not leak
as per picture

http://www.shop4fasteners.co.uk/acat...ead_Rivets.asp

Chris:burn:

Mello-Yellow 02-Oct-2009 10:44

The mandrel will not snap off in the tool.

stafford 02-Oct-2009 13:05

When I did mine I did find them fecking hard to "pop". As the actress said to the bishop it might be down to your tool mate.

smilo006 03-Oct-2009 20:50

Used a stanley pop rivetter and had the same problem. Seems that the stalk is not that hard and the grooves in the tool dig into the stalk but the tool in relation to the stalk moves so they aren't pulled to the point where they snap. The grooves in the tool that grip the stalk seemed to fill up with swarf and had to dismantle the tool each time. Went to protwins and they had an old looking rivet tool and it worked fine.

YMFB 04-Oct-2009 10:52

Its almost certainly got to be the tool, usually those that can be bought from B & Q, Halfords are rubbish, I know I have broken several. I usually borrow one from a friend who has a professional riveter that cost £200