Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Supersports: SS / SuperSport / Supersport 950 (/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   14t gearbox sprockets on SSie bikes (/showthread.php?t=35889)

twpd 07-Sep-2006 21:04

14t gearbox sprockets on SSie bikes

I'm a member of www.ducati.ms and the guys on there reckon you can't fit a 14t gearbox sprocket to an 800ss (which is the same as the 750ssie and 900ssie). I say you can - I have one on my 800ss racer - it goes straight on, there's no misalignment and the chain run is straight and free. Yet they still say it can't be done - I've almost been accused of lying via pm!

As a matter of interest, who here is running a 14t gearbox sprocket as well. What are your experiences?

jeff st4s 07-Sep-2006 21:08

Without being shouted at for not reading the title, I'm running a 14 on my ST and I have no problems.

antonye 07-Sep-2006 21:09

Me. No reason why it wouldn't fit!

twpd 07-Sep-2006 21:16

They reckon that all the aftermarket sprockets they can get including Renthal are offset - so much so that the chain won't run on the wear strip or go on the sprocket.

Here's the thread:

today's thread

previous thread

TP 07-Sep-2006 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by twpd
They reckon that all the aftermarket sprockets they can get including Renthal are offset - so much so that the chain won't run on the wear strip or go on the sprocket.

Here's the thread:

today's thread

previous thread

Oh my god - that is absolute ignorance of the highest order!

twpd 07-Sep-2006 21:25

Mine or theirs? :o

domski 07-Sep-2006 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by TP
Oh my god - that is absolute ignorance of the highest order!

Agreed. Tosser!

TP 07-Sep-2006 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by twpd
Mine or theirs? :o

Theirs!

Jesus, they look at the sprocket and just decide it doesn't fit - in their uneducated opinion. And simply ignore the advice of people who've done it! And Shazaam FFS!

Oh dear ...

antonye 07-Sep-2006 22:06

Oh, the rub strips are different between ally and steel swingarms too - when we swapped swingarms, the black rub strip off my steel swinger didn't line up properly so we had to use the original white one that came with the ally swingarm.

Also, the swingarm makes no difference in the position of the sprockets (think about it - the sprocket on the engine doesn't move if you have a different swingarm!) which that guy seems to be implying.

Finally, it doesn't matter what the offset looks like on the sprocket, it's how it fits that is important. They all fit onto the shaft and then are aligned with the locking plate which fits into the groove on the shaft - that's how it gets aligned, not shoulder depth!

andys 900ss 07-Sep-2006 22:08

Yep, no probs here either.

Got them on my 900ssie and 600ss.

Andy