Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Cleaning brakes. It's all gone wrong (/showthread.php?t=24405)

dave996 24-Nov-2005 15:31

Cleaning brakes. It\'s all gone wrong

If I remove my pads from the calipers is it safe to use WD40 to clean the calipers?

If not then what's good?
That's better:rolleye:

[Edited on 24-11-2005 by dave996]

[Edited on 29-11-2005 by dave996]

skidlids 24-Nov-2005 15:36

I was wondering what you were on about Dave
As for cleaning Brakes Keefer is the man to ask

JPM 24-Nov-2005 15:38

I use wonder wheels wheel cleaner on my calipers, make sure you remove bolts and pad retaining pin as these tend to react :rolleye:

antonye 24-Nov-2005 15:50

Brake cleaner.... ? :lol:

To clean my calipers I take them off the forks, out of the way of the wheel and disks, and give them a good coat with some degreaser like Simoniz to get rid of the crap. Use a toothbrush to work the dirt out, and repeat until they're clean. Then I use brake cleaner to get rid of any deposits, again working with the toothbrush, until they come up spotless.

dave996 24-Nov-2005 15:54

I think it can be safe to say the calipers are well away from wheels, disks and forks.
Cheers guys

PDL 24-Nov-2005 17:11

...also, get some Brick banding and clean the crust off the brass pistons. Squeeze the lever until the piston is far out as you dare, then clean the crust off. You will be able to push the piston back in with finger pressure.

If you don't clean the crust off and put new pads in then the crust will be pushed behind the rubber washer inside the caliper, this will rupture the washer and the calipers will leak brake fluid.

Rob B 24-Nov-2005 17:28

Brembo advise not to use brake cleaners, but good old soapy water and brush. That was for the GP3 billets though.

Rgds, Rob

yeti 24-Nov-2005 17:55

Quote:

Originally posted by Rob B
Brembo advise not to use brake cleaners, but good old soapy water and brush. That was for the GP3 billets though.

Rgds, Rob

I know the Rizla boys don't tocuh the calipers with anything other than soapy water.

Simon Reed told me a long time ago to chuck a dishwasher tablet into a bucket of hot water and let the calipers soak in that for a while. Got to say I've been doing that for a couple of years now and it works very well!

dave996 24-Nov-2005 17:58

Do you need to remove anything from the caliper or can it all go in the water/dishwasher tab, pads an' all:yawn:

yeti 24-Nov-2005 18:03

I would take the pads out, but quite honestly I doubt it would harm them if you didn't.

Am assuming the brake lines are still attached and you can't get water into the inner workings of the caliper of course....:burn: