Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Advice on 888 riding position (/showthread.php?t=33528)

Tim Hall 15-Jul-2006 21:36

Advice on 888 riding position

Does anyone know if there are any adjustable bars and pegs for the 888
Strada readily available?

I find the standard riding position too far forward and gives me a pain in the neck - literally!

I'd be interested if anyone has modified/adjusted their bikes - due to the same problem.

It looks as though 900ss bars would fit the 888 forks and bring the bars higher and further back which is what I want - but the clutch and brake reservoirs might then foul the fairing.

Any help/advice gladly received.

cheers

Tim

Nattyboy 15-Jul-2006 22:09

Yes there are options tim..jasper has harris bars fitted, Rob B has a different set and I know cyclecat do an option. More people should be along in a minute !!

Nat

sparkin 16-Jul-2006 07:22

Totally understand the neck problem Tim,mine was so bad it sent a shock down my left arm and was a big percentage of the reason I sold mine:( but be careful when changing bars,try and find adjustable ones as to bigger change will ruin the lines of that bueatiful bike;)

chicken 16-Jul-2006 08:16

Don't they take the same bars and pegs as the Supersports?
There's certainly been lots of posts in the past about adjustable bars for the SS. The cyclecat yoke relocates the reservoirs to the centre (rather than by the bars).

Most of the aftermarket footpegs will move your feet back and up - probably what you don't want.

Jasper 16-Jul-2006 10:06

I have fitted Harris bars and The SP comes with adjustable reasrets,you could fit a set of them?Altering the lever/switch gear position help as well.

aka.eric 16-Jul-2006 14:51

I use bars from Baines,originally made for their Imola project bike,but they are very close to standard 888.Adjustable rearsets are thin on the ground for 888,s.Lucas is one.Genuine SP are long since deleted.SS,hangers will fit the frame ok,they will lower the footpeg position,I believe.I had a plan to modify the standard footrests,but couldnt find anywhere to make pegs long enough.

Jools 16-Jul-2006 16:06

Before you change the bars have you considered your leathers? Don't laugh but when I first got my 888 I thought "oh dear, I'm not going to be able to ride this, it's doing my neck and shoulders in". Then i realised that the 888 riding position showed up a problem with my leathers that I hadn't noticed before...the jacket is too short in the body for the 888 riding position and puts loads of pressure acroos my shoulders. Net result excrutiating neck pain after 20 miles. They're two piece leathers so if I leave the jacket unzipped I can ride all day with no problems.

851neil 17-Jul-2006 08:43

ride faster - air pressure takes weight off your wrists, at lower speeds ride as much as possible with one hand....
Lots of solutions, most common cause of wrist ache has already been mentioned and that's the relationship of your arms on the bars to the levers, if you are having to lift or drop your hands to get to the levers then this is a big factor and it's amazing how many people do this and don't recognise it.
Sit on the bike and adopt your normal rising position now go for the levers but watch what you have to do with your hands - if you are lifting / dropping or over reaching then a simple adjust will alter how you feel on the bike in a big way.

Tim Hall 17-Jul-2006 13:33

Thanks for all the advice guys - I also think age is a contributary factor!
thanks

Tim

Rob B 17-Jul-2006 16:38

I have tried two different bar heights plus the standard clip ons. They all give the nck a work out. My solution was just to accept the riding position, and get fitter. 45 BTW

Rgds, Rob