Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   748 BP ride height (/showthread.php?t=33539)

mikecl600 16-Jul-2006 10:50

748 BP ride height

Hi guys,

I need a liitle help. I have recently bought a 748 BP and just getting round to looking over it only to find the previous owner tinkered without knowing what he was doing. The forks were set so differently you wouldnt believe.

Anyway i thought the best place to start was factory settings. but trying to do this isnt as simple as i thought when it come to ride height. The manual says to measure from the bottom edge of the plate hanger to the ground but on this bike the hanger has been chopped for a small plate. could someone please either let me know the distance from under the plate light to the end of an uncut plate mount i can then work things out from there. or standard ride height to another point like the exhaust mount on the subframe.

cheers

nelly 16-Jul-2006 12:15

The stock length of the ride height adjuster is 261mm centre to centre. That'll be a better gauge than measuring points on the body as spring preload will affect those.
Unless the locknuts turn easily, i'd take the ride height bar out and set it on the bench. They soon seize up. One's a conventional thread, the other is a left hand thread denoted by a line machined in the nut flats.

mikecl600 16-Jul-2006 18:48

Many thanks for that. i didnt think of measuring it.

Neepdocker 16-Jul-2006 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelly
The stock length of the ride height adjuster is 261mm centre to centre. That'll be a better gauge than measuring points on the body as spring preload will affect those.
Unless the locknuts turn easily, i'd take the ride height bar out and set it on the bench. They soon seize up. One's a conventional thread, the other is a left hand thread denoted by a line machined in the nut flats.

I would have thought 261mm can only be a starting measurment. As your chain adjustment is accentric. Therefore when you adjust the chain you alter the ride height. So every time you tension the chain you should adjust the ride height tie rod to compensate.

DEMON 16-Jul-2006 20:25

True, but we must make compromises !
What about the increase / decrease in wheelbase when the chain is adjusted ?
261mm is the optimum value for the bikes, and is merely a guide, weight of rider, bike, suspension setup all have an effect too

weeksy2 16-Jul-2006 20:51

Personally i'd take it to Louigimoto and get it all done.

His settings were superb on the 916.