Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   SP5-Wheel colour question (/showthread.php?t=11709)

Jasper 13-Nov-2004 00:01

SP5-Wheel colour question

Firstly,Does anybody know if SP5's ever came standard with black wheels?If so,do you have a pic.
Secondly,If they didn't,do you thinks it's best to leave the wheels as standard or doesn't it matter?

Just after a general opion,as i'm contemplating doing them matt black,but not sure if it's best to leave pretty much as standard.Will it attract ot detract from the bike?Opinions,please.Here's the bike as it is now.

Felix 13-Nov-2004 00:48

Doug Polen raced a 888 in 1991 and 1992 with black wheels. I'll try to find a piccy. Yeah, mate do it. In satin.

KeefyB 13-Nov-2004 08:01

Jasper,that bike of yours looks absolutely fantastic,one of my all time faves.
After consulting my vast library of literature and sales brochures (eh,sparkin?!;) ),the SP5 only came with the silver/grey wheels your bike is wearing.Black was standard on the SP3 and 4.
Black wheels would look great,imo.Here's a pic of an American market SPO with black wheels,so you could see what it would look like.

Jasper 13-Nov-2004 08:52

Ok,then.So now the crunch.Yes it looks superb in black,BUT will it detract from the bike,with it not being original,considering it's"icon" status along with the other SP's?I mean,there aren't exactly alot around,are there!!Would it be like painting an original Hailwood rep,pink or something!!:oDecisons,decision,decisions.:puzzled:

Nattyboy 13-Nov-2004 11:48

Jasp..I would stick with gold. I debated painting my new wheels gold (the front already is), but one of the reasons for keeping them black was because thats how it left the factory.

Why not get them repainted gold with a high laquer finish. Did that on my 916 and it really set it off...

Nat

keefer 13-Nov-2004 12:13

I like the black,
I cant see it being to out of place like you said about painting a bike in pink.
It doesn't detract from the overall appearance of the bike, IMO it enhances it
and anyway you can always have them sprayed in gold at a later date if everyone keeps shacking there head in disgust when they look at your bike :P

weeveetwin 13-Nov-2004 16:38

Black does look best. The silver/bronze type wheels are what spoil the look of the late model Strada. IMO it looks a bit less sporty than the earlier bikes. (..but if I were buying an SP5 I'd rather it was completely original!) What you really need is a spare set so you can interchange!

Felix 13-Nov-2004 16:38

Jasper, why don't you get another set of wheels. Get a set that's already black. That way you can always swap back if you feel like and even the sell the other set. No messing around, that way.

Jasper 13-Nov-2004 18:54

Errr,'cos i haven't got the money!!:(So it's one or the other.

Otto Otto Otto 16-Nov-2004 13:18

Jasper

My SP5 has a newly powder coated set of black wheels.
Looks much better. It's so cheap to get them done that you can always change back if you don't like it. I didnt like the other colour anyway. I think they only changed the wheel colour because it was a cheap way of making the bike look a little more modern at the time.

Anyway congrats on the choice of bike - how many in the club??

Justin