Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Fair price for a 888 SP4? (/showthread.php?t=4628)

yellow916 05-Dec-2003 19:56

Fair price for a 888 SP4?

What do people think would be a good price for an 888 SP4?

Has anyone seen/does anyone know anything about the one for sale at Forza Italia (aka Baines Racing)?

Thanks

A

Felix 05-Dec-2003 20:33

I think a "good" price, meaning a good deal, for a bike in good nik is no more than £6000.

Eddieb 08-Dec-2003 04:02

Theres one for sale in a bike shop over here, 1 of only 2 or 3 in the country. I think it's being sold on behalf of owner rather than being shop stock.

It's listed as P.O.A but given how other models have sold I would think it would go for somewhere in the $25,000-$30,000NZ price range, about 8,000-10,000 sterling. Purely because of it's rarity here.

There is a Strada for sale privately as well which has $19,000NZ as the asking price, about 6500 sterling. I think it's a bit overpriced as they normally command about $15,000NZ, 5000 sterling for a good one.

851's fetch 3500 - 4250 sterling. There is quite a few more of them around.

My bike is the only bike of all these models I ever see on the road though, all the others must just sit in the garage.

simon748 10-Dec-2003 21:04

sp4 price

I paid about 7000 for mine about 2 years ago. I've only seen a couple for sale since so difficult bike to value.Whats it worth to you? I don't intend to sell so am not worried how much it may be valued at.
Buy it!

pguenet 12-Dec-2003 17:17

I have been following those prices for quite a while since I am fascinated by that bike and as soon as I can I would buy one of them.

You would find an SP3 around £6000 and an SP4 around £6500 / £7000. More if the bike as exceptionally low mileage.

Somehow the experts tend to say that the SP3 is the one to go for. Engines are very similar but SP3 had the older frame and the aluminium tank. SP4 lost those. SP5 even lost the front ohlins fork.

KeefyB 12-Dec-2003 17:47

Quote:

Originally posted by pguenet

Somehow the experts tend to say that the SP3 is the one to go for. Engines are very similar but SP3 had the older frame and the aluminium tank. SP4 lost those. SP5 even lost the front ohlins fork.

Yeah but the SP5 was the best looking one IMHO.
The Ohlins forks on the 888 SP's were race forks converted for the road.It was a common problem for the fork seals to blow.Mebbe thats why they changed to Showa on the 5?

pguenet 13-Dec-2003 09:20

Somehow the SP5 looks quite different because they changed the seat unit.... but that is a matter of taste. SP5 doesn't do it for me as is looks like a road bike.
The others have the meaner look of race machines.

As for the ohlins, I think they changed for cost reasons. Ducati is still using those although seals still blow for no reason (one seal gone at 2500miles on my 996SPS!).

Otto Otto Otto 18-Feb-2004 11:34

I have a contemporaneous magazine report which indicates that Ohlins were taking legal action against their fork seal supplier due to the well documented reliability problems.
I suspect the change to Showa was as a result of this - subsequent reversion to Ohlins may be as a result of improvement to seals in later years.
I guess the the beauty of the 851/888 SP models is that they are all quite different in spec and appearance, so ther should be one to suit most tastes. I cant help but think that you dont get that with the later bikes which (certainly due to the beautiful styling) did not change in appearance for many years.
I have the SP5 and I bought it because it was the only one I wanted .......... but it seems all these bikes have pros and cons:
SP3 - aluminium tank/ohlins
SP4 - ohlins
SP5 - showa/more power
It's as broad as it's long.
SPO is just a pretty bike without the grunt which is not in the spirit of things really ....... very pretty though!

Anyway that's the end of my rant - I hope I didnt offend anyone there!

Queen_gravelpants 18-Feb-2004 12:30

It's like Simon748 says what's it worth to you?

I paid over the odds for my 888 strada considering all the problems it had, which I wasn't aware of because of ignorance really. I've spent so much money on it that if I was to sell it on I would make a huge loss. I never intend to sell it because it is such a beautiful bike so I don't really care about how much money I spend as its worth every penny to me.

Question is if you buy one for say £6000 will you keep it or sell it on when you get bored with it and almost certainly make a loss?

Queen_gravelpants 18-Feb-2004 13:18

Nice SP4 website

Nattyboy 18-Feb-2004 13:35

Unless im missing something no-ones mentioned the SPS ! Awesome .. an SP4 with more power and lower weight..VERY limited numbers too.

Pros; Carbon tank, rare,

Cons; No fan to save weight (you dont want be going to a WSB or MotoGP round and get stuck in traffic!!), identical in looks to SP4 for mega bucks more!

I too have looked into 888 prices for some time, and the most knowledgable people I have spoken to (Forza Italia, and a ducati UK contact) say that as the values of 4's and 5's are soaring (forza sold an SP4 last summer for 8k with a private plate!!!), its dragging the prices of stradas up to !!!!! So the good news is that most people reading this section have a bike that is earning them money (not that any of us would sell!!!!!).

I always thought the 851SP2 (technically a 888) was the quickest and most brutal ??

BTW..I know 2 different guys who have an SP2 and an SP4 who are thinking of selling if anyone is serious.

Cheers
Nat

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by Nattyboy]

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by Nattyboy]

Otto Otto Otto 18-Feb-2004 13:53

I just cant see these Dukes depreciating any more than they already have - they always were pretty scarce, and will retain their kudos factor amongst Ducatisti, who will always pay reasonable money for them. This is set against the newer models which in many cases are dynamically superior/with more widespread appeal but ultimately more commonly available and so more prone to depreciation.
With regard to 7**/9**s, every second bike is now an SP clone which dilutes the effect of seeing a real SP. It's a shame really, fabulous bikes and all but I remember when you used to see Dukes around these parts at the rate of about 1 every 6 weeks and you loved them all the more for it!
I just like the idea of having something that is a little leftfield but surprisingly potent.

Justin

Otto Otto Otto 18-Feb-2004 13:59

Nat

I heard that about a Raymond Roche Replica SP2 (official model?), but never got the information to prove.
I did find an 888 SPS (SP4) for sale a while ago for about £17000
Same basic motor as SP5 but with less road kit - I think.

Justin

Nattyboy 18-Feb-2004 17:00

Couldnt agree more Otto...When I picked up my new 916 in '97, it drew crowds everywhere as there simply werent many around (a £14k price tag prevented that!), but by the time it had gone to the big scrapyard in the sky in 2002, there were so many 748/9*6 etc and im not surpised..you can pick a cheap 748 up for £4k so there becoming more accesible. A lot of bike for very little money.

Wanted summat different (did look at 916 sennas but they were going for silly money considering there just a biposto with a few bolt ons) , always dreamed of a 888 and here we are. And I cant believe how much more attention I get on it (from bikers and non-bikers) than I did the 916 !!! Im in love with the thing..it just seems to have even more character then the 916 !!

It also seems that its not just the bikes that are fetching good money.I had to pay £18 for an original sales brochure !!!!

So long live the 888 (as a bike and an investment fund)!!!! It goes in for a major service on Monday so I hope I still love it after I get the bill :lol:

Nat

Otto Otto Otto 19-Feb-2004 09:01

I must have been bidding against you then!!
My ebay ID is nicequedgeonya! - so that it doesnt happen again!

Otto Otto Otto 19-Feb-2004 12:35

This one looks like a SP4.5!!!
If anyone has a dabble be real careful that its not a bitsa.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ategory=99 19

888heaven 19-Feb-2004 22:11

fair price for SP4

I was very fortunate to pick up a pristine 888 Strada for £3500 2 years ago with 10k and full history.
the owner also had an SP5 that had been chucked down the road,mainly cosmetic but expensive!!!!he sold that for £4000 a bargain now.
For general riding and practicality the Strada wins hands down,easy to live with still sex on a stick to look at.
if money was no object it would have to the Roche replica with corsa engine.
ProV Twins had racing 888 with no mileage but i dont know if it is still their.
if you have the money which ever you buy you won't be dissapointed, just make sure that it has regular oil changes/belts shims etc regardless of mileage.
happy hunting.

Otto Otto Otto 20-Feb-2004 08:43

888 heaven - I saw that SP5 advertised in MCN for £3700 about 2 years ago. Called the guy up on Wed morning and it turned out I was about the 30th caller so he said that he decided not to sell it. Turns out he did then - sounded like a bargain to me (good spares bike!!!!)

Iconic944ss 20-Feb-2004 14:05

I love the way the seat/tail unit wraps around and into side panels......

Thats the one thing I think my 900ss should have - Heee Heee - I feel a long term project coming on!

Frank

Iconic944ss 20-Feb-2004 14:08

More........

Forza italia used bikes

Frank

paynep 20-Feb-2004 16:52

"Buy it now" for 4 and 1/2 grand!!.....who gives a stuff if its made of several bikes - most of mine are!!!:lol:

yellow916 21-Feb-2004 11:37

Nat

You have U2U.

A

888heaven 21-Feb-2004 18:13

which bike?

looking over the site there seems to be a lot of chat about which is the best bike to own, ST4R/999/998/916SPS/748,9/888/SP/SPS/
SPO etc
surely in an ideal world we'd have one of each,theres nothing fundementaly wrong with any of them.
to me personally they just get more sanitized as you head towards the new bikes.
i was fortunte to try my 888 back to back against a mates 748 and anothers 749,
i must admit the 749 was like riding a 250 size wise it handled superb,but neither had that brutish involvment that i get from the 888.
it doesnt make me better rider i just get more fun trying to tame it,if i wanted a fast easy life i'd get a FireBlade!!!!
its like Beemers would you buy a brand new sanitized M3 or the original LHD M3 EVO with less power but more driver input.
everyones taste is different which why this web site is visited so often.:sing::sing:

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by 888heaven]

Pitcrew 23-Feb-2004 20:29

While on the subject of 888's, looks like I'm going to be selling mine and was wandering what it was worth before advertising. Details:
93 888 Strada with bits to make it it an SP5 bitsa, single seat etc etc.
Ohlins rear - Maxton Front modified.
Maxton steering damper.
15000kms only, thoroughly serviced and pampered, valve shims at Manchester Ducati. Carbon HI Rise exhausts, K&N filter.
Renthal sprockets and 520 gold chain. New Avon tyres, carbon huggers front and rear. Braided hoses, new pads. New 'Gates' timing belts fitted at 12000 miles. New RR51 Electrex regulator fitted last year. The bike is a must for someone who's looking for a sorted 888, I just need a bit of guidance to what it is worth??

Nattyboy 23-Feb-2004 22:22

KEV..WHAT YER DOING !!!!????? Bit of a shock mate ...why are you selling ??

For a bike like yours id say about £4k(+) mark bearing in mind its a non UK model.

BTW..not sure if youve been getting my messages but cant get through on e-mail..basically wanted some more help on the seat unit. Do you still have the standard seat setup?? If so can I buy your SP5 unit and save myself a load of sodding about !! :lol::lol::lol:

Im up your way (vauxhall ellesmere & Jag Hailwood) 10/3, so maybe we could meet up if its close enough on my way home.

Hopefully hear from you soon mate..

Nat

paynep 24-Feb-2004 20:07

Pitcrew,
having seen what people (including me!)will pay for 888 bits, IMHO you are better off flogging it as standard and selling all the bolt-ons........
There have been a couple of 888/SP5 lookalikes down here with 4500-5000 asking prices, but I think they went for less than that, with standard-ish Stradas going for 3500-3700.

Again, IMHO people are trying to make them classics rather than damn good real world road bikes a bit too soon, and are pricing them and their spares accordingly......but I would say that as I need bits for both of mine:D

BTW what mods did you have done to the forks and why?

Cheers, Paul

Nattyboy 25-Feb-2004 18:07

Agree with Paul Kev..if I was selling up I would put my bike back as standard as soon as possible.

On that note..if you do sell the bits can I have first refusal??! Deffo int i seat unit if you still have standard!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Cheers
Nat

Nat

Pitcrew 25-Feb-2004 18:19

Thanks for the reply boys, will keep them in mind. I think if I get 4k for the bike I will let it go, I've had some great fun on it and I hope someone with the same enthusiastic approach can look after it. The front forks had lighter springs fitted and revalved for softer damping. I found the handling very vague when I first got it and more so on a track day. Maxton said that all ducs are sold with too hard a suspension setup and it is a common problem, so he went ahead with the mods. I must admit that the changes were a dramatic improvement, he set up the forks in the bike before passing back.

paynep 26-Feb-2004 10:52

Interesting comment re front end.
Both my 851 and 888 feel pretty good at the front on the track - maybe its because I weigh 13st (or 14st wet at Mallory last year!)??
Also Baines had fitted a new Ohlins rear with spring to suit me and tweaked everything. Dropping the yokes down a bit made the biggest difference to the front feel for me.

Regards
Paul

Nattyboy 26-Feb-2004 14:53

Im planning on getting my suspension sorted in the summer as I had a very 'interesting' track day at silverstone. Some of it due to shoddy tyres (michelins hi sports!), some due to brake fade (adressed with brembo radial master cylinder but above all a feeling of vagueness and a wiggly arse!!! I have jacked the back up a bit to make it steer a bit quicker and my next port of call is an ohlins rear shock...did the ohlins go on before the other mods paul?? If so was there a noticeable diff??

Cheers
Nat

Nattyboy 01-Mar-2004 12:06

888 Article

For those subscribed to this thread, thought you might like to see an extract from a 3 page review on 888's on why the 888 is so special !! Taken from TWO magazine..blow it up see bottom left hand paragraph..I rest my case !!!

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by Nattyboy]

yellow916 01-Mar-2004 12:44

Can you post the whole article???

A

Nattyboy 01-Mar-2004 12:50

Tried already..the only scanner I have is in my printer so thats out, and the bloody flash keeps whiting everything out. Managed page 1 though if your euesights really good!!

BTW did you get a 888 in the end??

Nat

Otto Otto Otto 01-Mar-2004 12:52

I would like to echo Yellow's request!

Rob B 01-Mar-2004 17:45

Gota be careful here, I'm sure the Web Team will confirm, copyright and all that.

Rgds,

Rob

Queen_gravelpants 01-Mar-2004 19:34

Interesting comments about the suspension.....you guys think you have trouble, imagine my problem being only 8 stone the bike doesnt even notice I'm there so I spend the whole time battling with it!

Every bump feels like a mountain to me, my poor **** is so sore from being thrown out of the seat every five minutes!

I've had the suspension set up for my weight but it still feels like I'm riding an ironing board! :lol:

gonna try a softer rear spring next and get the forks done and see it that helps before contemplating an Ohlins....if not I'm going on a chocolate and cake binge to put on a few stones!

Nice article btw Nat...I like the Ferrari comparison!

Otto Otto Otto 02-Mar-2004 09:51

I may be wrong but Nat's article states that Foggy won the 94 title on an 888 ....... I thought that was a 916 from memory ................... If I'm right I'll be keen to get a job as a proof reader/test pilot for that magazine!!

Queen_gravelpants 02-Mar-2004 13:49

No he didnt...foggy won a round of WSB at Donington in '92 I think on the 888 as a privateer (I may be wrong on that though) I thought he only rode the 888 for one season then went onto the 916?

Ask Nat, he seems to be the 888 anorak around here! :lol:

paynep 02-Mar-2004 14:46

Hi Nat, sorry about delay - have been to Valencia for WSBK!!

I too had Michelins on the bike and the back felt vague - vague enough to lose the rear coming down Paddock Hill and end on my ar*e. I put Dragons on which improved it a bit but decided to go see Baines. They found the rebound damping had gone in the 22000 mile old Showa and so I had them fit an SP-spec Ohlins and set up the bike.
It all made a fantastic improvement and the settings worked when i copied them onto the 888.
Would suggest getting suspension sorted sooner rather than later like I did.....:lol:

Cheers
Paul

Nattyboy 02-Mar-2004 17:13

Me an you are gonna have words Gal !!!:D

Think your right, it was '92 when foggy won at donny on a customer spec corsa (no.7!) financed by his old man !!

On the basis of his 888 perormances he was then signed up by the factory on 916

The final 32 888 'Racing' machines were buiilt in '94 alongside the first of the 916's

Who said I was an anorak??!!!!

Nat