Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   748 non-starter (/showthread.php?t=10119)

dukess1999 06-Sep-2004 15:22

748 non-starter

Hadn't ridden the bike for a couple of weeks and battery was flat (starter motor turned over but feebly). I tried to bump it first, the odd splutter but no joy (frankly I thought I was going to have a heart attack after the fifth attempt), so charged the battery. Now though fuel-pump and other electrics are functioning, nothing doing with starter motor. Checked fuses, and cleaned connections to starter motor and relay (relay was replaced 2 months ago), still no joy. I'm thinking starter motor is fried but any other suggestions before I go down that road?
One anomaly is the Datatool Veto immobilizer will only stay in 'Service' mode ie the alarm goes off when it's put in parked, 'normal' mode.

TIA for any advice.

HANCYM 06-Sep-2004 18:20

Not quite sure what you mean about the Alarm. I have a Veto fitted to my 748 and that will only disable the tilt switch from Normal mode. You have to switch the ignition on and press the button to enter service mode. Is that what you mean isn't happening.

Anyhow, on the subject of your battery. My alarm will Eat the battery in day and so did the Motoguard I had fitted on my ZX9R and so did the immobilizer I had on my Golf GTI. I would guess from my experience that most after market Alarm/Immobilizer eat batteries.

What I've done, instead of using an Oximizer or similar. I've wired a nice sexy little power supply socket to the dash on my bike with a diode and fuse in circuit (so you can't short the bikes electric’s). I then converted a small plug in power supply with a Regulator chip to hold the voltage at 13.8v. Every time I park the bike up I plug in. Much more convenient and won't overcharge the battery. Gone off at a a tangent really! Not sure what's causing you starting probs but maybe this will help you preserve you new battery

keith_mann1959 07-Sep-2004 09:24

!!
I've wired a nice sexy little power supply socket to the dash on my bike with a diode and fuse in circuit (so you can't short the bikes electric’s). I then converted a small plug in power supply with a Regulator chip to hold the voltage at 13.8v. Every time I park the bike up I plug in. Much more convenient and won't overcharge the battery.

Is this not what an optimate or similar does.

748mart 07-Sep-2004 09:57

Place a spanner across the 2 large solenoid terminals (be ready for the sparks) , if battery & starter are OK engine will crank over & should start. This will confirm faulty solenoid, control wiring or switches.

If it dosn't crank over try jump starting from car to eliminate battery. probably best to not have car engine running to minimise possibility of damaging bike cpu etc.

chris.p 07-Sep-2004 18:52

Quote:

Originally posted by 748mart
Place a spanner across the 2 large solenoid terminals (be ready for the sparks) , if battery & starter are OK engine will crank over & should start. This will confirm faulty solenoid, control wiring or switches.

Going with this one, same thing happened to me, even after new solanoid fitted, check that the small middle wire is firmly home as well.

Chris.:roll: