Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Money pit?? (/showthread.php?t=26952)

andya 10-Feb-2006 20:19

Money pit??

Hi Guys,
Finally finished her kitchen a couple of days early, so I snuck out to the garage and started the strip down.Thought I'd spend a couple of hours but ended up out there all day.

The bike need a full rebuild as it was stored for many years in a damp barn and is in need of some serious sorting.

The frame is to be blasted and resprayed next week all being well. The main problem I have, as you can see from the engine pic is the ally corrosion has taken the paint of much of the engine.I dont particularly want to strip the engine at the moment as I want to ride the bike this year. I may do a full engine strip next winter and properly sort it then, but I'm open to any ideas as a temporary measure.

I'll try and post more pisc as it progresses.

Andy

andya 10-Feb-2006 20:20

and engine.....

andya 10-Feb-2006 20:20

and frame.....

Mr C 10-Feb-2006 21:10

Someones going to be busy

aka.eric 10-Feb-2006 21:12

I used a Scotchpad bought from paint factors,like a fine pan scourer.Removed the flakey paint,feathered the edges,masked up and a couple of coats of high temp paint.Engines been hot a few times since and it seems ok.

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by aka.eric]

philthy 10-Feb-2006 21:46

Quote:

Originally posted by aka.eric
I used a Scotchpad bought from paint factors,like a fine pan scourer.Removed the flakey paint,feathered the edges,masked up and a couple of coats of high temp paint.Engines been hot a few times since and it seems ok.

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by aka.eric]

Looks rather tidy. Did you do the ally polishing of the footrests/ hangers yourself ?

Phil

aka.eric 10-Feb-2006 21:58

Yes,I dont mind the paint prep,polishing type stuff,bolting it all back together is not too bad.....but I struggle with an oil change,cos I dont know one washer from another!:mad:

philthy 10-Feb-2006 22:07

Quote:

Originally posted by aka.eric
Yes,I dont mind the paint prep,polishing type stuff,bolting it all back together is not too bad.....but I struggle with an oil change,cos I dont know one washer from another!:mad:

I know that feeling:(

How did you get rid of the anodised coating on the footrests before you polished 'em?

aka.eric 10-Feb-2006 22:27

Approx 400 grit wheel and a small dremel type tool for the nooks and crannies.Soon comes off,much the same as polishing bare aluminum.

philthy 10-Feb-2006 22:35

Ta for that! Looks like a trip to B & Q for me.:bouncy:

I've already got the polishing kit.