Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   This is one of ours... (/showthread.php?t=38133)

RightSaidFred 26-Oct-2006 22:48

This is one of ours...

...isn't it? Can't remember whose it was tho. C'mon own up!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1992-DUCATI-RE...QQcmdZViewItem

philthy 27-Oct-2006 00:17

Rob B might know, he's just up the road from there I think.

phil_h 27-Oct-2006 09:11

I like yellow, it looks really good on ducatis, but a yellow frame :(

Jools 27-Oct-2006 10:20

Not keen on the yellow frame either, but hey ho...each to their own.

Now, the write up on 851/888's in MCN had three readers bikes and one of those had a yellow frame. Surely it must be the same one? Although I would've thought that the seller might have put "As seen in MCN" in the ad.

Rushjob 27-Oct-2006 17:53

Belts changed in 2000 :o
This is good?????

Rob B 27-Oct-2006 19:59

Yep, I've seen it. Quite nice bike, too.

RJ, I think the engine rebuild was 2000.

Rgds,

Rob

RightSaidFred 28-Oct-2006 06:35

Jools, yeah that's it! MCN! Knew i'd seen it before.
Can't make up my mind bout the frame. Either way, bold move by the owner to personalise the bike. It's a shall - I - shan't I decision, that's for sure, like me when I had mine done in black.
It seems the consensus is that it's ok to personalise a strada into an SP - a - like - with - my own - stamp on it, but a sacriligeous almost hanging offence to change anything on an SP!
You *own* a Strada, but you're just a *custodian* of an SP and bound by an unwritten moral code to preserve it as time goes on!

RightSaidFred 28-Oct-2006 06:46

Since mine broke down last weekend and then got damaged by the recovery people, I think this winter i'll be mostly setting fire to mine and getting the GSXR out!!

Ok, ok only joking (tin hats on and running like hell for cover...)

Have you seen my old Suzuki by the way? I wonder if i'll get away with posting a pic. I'll give it a go...

RightSaidFred 28-Oct-2006 06:50

Hm didn't work. Guess the server is 'Suzuki proof.'

weeveetwin 28-Oct-2006 10:16

Looks to be a nice 851. (It does sound like the belts have been on it for six years tho!)

The 'bars look to be raised too. Seem to suit it. I wonder if the fairing had to be modded to make room for the steering lock?

(..and could fitting 50mm Termis really make it as quick as an SP5? Hard to believe. Maybe the SP needs a tune!)

philthy 28-Oct-2006 10:33

Not sure about the bars, one of the photo's is taken from above and they look standard to me. I have seen one with higher bars though and quite a lot of the upper fairing and screen had been cut away, which I felt spoiled the looks.

VanDaMauler 28-Oct-2006 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightSaidFred
Hm didn't work. Guess the server is 'Suzuki proof.'

Dude...do you just want a thread of your own to chat to yourself on? :lol:

Zimbo 28-Oct-2006 11:02

Rob, you say you've seen that 851..do you mean just out and about locally? Or do you mean you've given it a good butchers close up? I'm interested in it (been hankering after an 8xx for years) but I'm up in Yorkshire and it would help if someone on the list (pref. an 851/888 owner) had any info on it. Not sure about wanting a bike that's been fully resprayed though - depends how good a job it was. I could live with the yellow frame...maybe.

Should I be bothered by the engine rebuild? It was Baines afterall.

Cheers
Pete ('92 SS owner)

sye73 28-Oct-2006 11:05

...it hasnt been serviced for 6 years !

weeveetwin 28-Oct-2006 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by philthy
Not sure about the bars, one of the photo's is taken from above and they look standard to me. I have seen one with higher bars though and quite a lot of the upper fairing and screen had been cut away, which I felt spoiled the looks.

The bars are higher than they are on my 888 Philthy. (They look almost like the bars that were on my old 900ss). Wouldn't stop me buying though - it looks a clean bike.

Iconic944ss 28-Oct-2006 11:24

High bars look interesting - some sort of straight clip-on perhaps?

Are the 851's meant to have the same type as the SS for the same year - an 'L' shaped affair?

Super clean bike - but I could not live with a red Ducati that had a BRIGHT yellow frame, sorry!

Frank

Rob B 28-Oct-2006 11:46

I went down to his house and had a quick look over it. The current owner bought it from a guy who had had it stored for a long time. Yes, I'd expect it'd need belts and some details changed to suit a new owners taste, but it's all there and you don't see many of these change over bikes (late bodywork 851s) about.

Also, it's got a good, rare exhaust. Go and haggle.

Rgds,

Rob

beancounter 28-Oct-2006 12:04

Quote:

You *own* a Strada, but you're just a *custodian* of an SP and bound by an unwritten moral code to preserve it as time goes on!

Amen to that brother!

I've just finished "hibernating" my SP3 and SP4 for the winter - everything covered in grease, oil or WD40, covers on, Optimates trickle-charging...

Bit early this year but just wanted to get it done. Still got the SPS for the odd "late Autumn" rideout.

BC

RightSaidFred 28-Oct-2006 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanDaMauler
Dude...do you just want a thread of your own to chat to yourself on? :lol:

Buggeration. I meant to post this in the 'What you doing over winter' thread. But failed miserably. Arse.

RightSaidFred 28-Oct-2006 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob B
I went down to his house and had a quick look over it. The current owner bought it from a guy who had had it stored for a long time. Yes, I'd expect it'd need belts and some details changed to suit a new owners taste, but it's all there and you don't see many of these change over bikes (late bodywork 851s) about.

Also, it's got a good, rare exhaust. Go and haggle.

Rgds,

Rob

Rob. You have too much spare time methinks...Do you do any work at all??!!

phil_h 28-Oct-2006 14:09

Quote:

:o
Err ... so you wont approve of my Black Beast then ?

Anyone got an engine to match then ?
ZDM851S*000998* manufactured as an 851 sp 1989 model year.

Rob B 28-Oct-2006 16:00

Lynds,

This was weeks ago, when Steve had just dragged it back from Wales. I was having a look at some other bits.

Work? Well, at least some of the time.

Rgds, rob