Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Supersports: SS / SuperSport / Supersport 950 (/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   (Dumb) newbie question (/showthread.php?t=20310)

bambam 01-Aug-2005 16:05

(Dumb) newbie question

Hello all

I've just bought a 2002 750, and so far I'm well impressed.

I have a dumb question though, please no flames if the answer is obvious :puzzled:

What is the difference between the 750 Sport and the 750 Supersport?

My matt black 750 has '750Sport' on the side of the fairing, but I'm told the bike is a SuperSport (by the seller), and my V5 shows it's registered as a 750SS.

Help - I'm a little confused :(

Cheers,

bambam

Steve M 01-Aug-2005 16:20

Hi mate.

It sounds like the bike is a "Dark". These are not much different than the SS, they have lower spec parts to make them a bit cheaper. And I think they are called a Sport rather than a SuperSport.

butch890 01-Aug-2005 16:21

welcolm to the board,mines a (ad as you think fit)
I'M sure someone will be along shortly to answer your question.
Butch

Iconic944ss 01-Aug-2005 16:22

Welcome on-board.

No such thing as a dumb question here - if there were, we would all be dumbo's - LOL.

Frank

Dave G 01-Aug-2005 16:23

Just graphics really,I always thought the 'sport' models were the ones that preceded the ss designation.
Unless there is a difference between the half faired and fully faired models,but thats all it would be.

Steve M 01-Aug-2005 16:24

It's probably one of these - Click here

phil_h 01-Aug-2005 16:28

Salesmen certainly used to call the half-faired carbie-eSeSes sports to try and indicate they were slightly different. There wernt any other differences though. (I had a 750 for a while)
I've always thought of it as a marketing thing, and prefer the half-faired look over the full fairing, as you get to show off more of the engine.

Brent 01-Aug-2005 16:54

Welcome to the board bambam,

How many front discs have you got? The SS has two.

Dave

bambam 01-Aug-2005 16:58

Thanks!

Thanks for all the welcomes - I look forward to being a long-term Ducati owner.

The 750 Sport, SuperSport, SS (whatever it is that I've actually bought!) is an amazing bike, and my first foray into sportsbike territory (been a touring-type until now).

I've had a quick word with the bloke that sold it to me, and he's quite confident that my matt black, fully faired, single front brake disk, with the word 750Sport on the side, V5 stating 750SS Ducati is actually an 'imported 750 SuperSport'. Although the fact that the clocks are all in km's was a bit of a giveaway for that adjective, I thought

So, I guess that's what I've got, and all your very friendly responses seem to indicate that there's no need for me to be worried (or thrilled) that I've paid for a SuperSport and received a Sport instead.

I hope this weather stays dry - I wanna go play on my bike...

- Bambam

Steve M 01-Aug-2005 17:07

I doubt there is much price difference between a 2002 Sport or SuperSport but it does sound like you've got a sport - matt black - single disc - the Supersport came with 2 discs and are never matt black.

Also untill they stopped making the half faired bikes the Supersports came with full or half fairings.