Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   My First Ride Part Deux (/showthread.php?t=5375)

Michael J 19-Feb-2004 14:47

My First Ride Part Deux

Sorry to repeat myself but I originally posted this just before "General" crashed on Tuesday, just in time for Fordie to accuse me of getting in some illicit practice for the rideout on Sunday:lol:
I took the new bike out on Monday night for a quick blast and found that I was unable to downshift approaching a hazard (made for an interesting roundabout manoevre in 4th) and the engine seemed to want to stall at low revs. The gear shift selector is also incredibly stiff.
Are these all features of the R or do I need to get the gear selector checked out and the tickover adjusted. The bike felt very industrial compared to my last bike (R6) but exhilarating with great sound effects at the same time. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Mike

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Michael J]

DJ Tera 19-Feb-2004 15:09

Have you checked the chain tension?
Failing that it could be a bent selector fork, is the bike new or did you get it second-hand?

Dibble 19-Feb-2004 15:12

ooooh yes, it sounds like a tractor and pulls like a train ....

with the R being a racebike driviative it was never set up for low speed pottering about, wring its neck, far more fun ... all the R's are like that I'm afraid ....

Its far more fun than the R6 when you get it "right" ....

Just check the gear selector hasnt seized anywhere, they do take a "positive" action to move ...

Have fun and stay shiny side up mate ....

Michael J 19-Feb-2004 18:41

DJ, I bought it second-hand from JHP - it's only done 1800 miles (2002 bike).
Dibble, thanks-I'll do me best!;)

DJ Tera 19-Feb-2004 18:43

Call em up then, I'm sure they'll help you out!

Jon 19-Feb-2004 19:29

Sounds like a slipper clutch prob to me.

topper 19-Feb-2004 19:40

MIke - get it checked out. You should find the shift on the Duke much smoother than the R6, I reckon.

I have a new FZ6 - the engine unit on that is an R6 derivative and gear shifting, although OK, is lumpier than my 996.

Chris.

Michael J 19-Feb-2004 19:41

Also should have mentioned two false neutrals but won't go into neutral when you want it to. WTF! :lol:

Glyn 19-Feb-2004 20:19

mine gearbox was orrid til i bled the clutch through
give jhp a call he'll sort it

Lee1980 19-Feb-2004 21:23

Mines a new 748s and from new the gear selection has been excellent, compared to the hornet before, even new all the joints had a lot of play, the duke has i think they called rose joints very positive.

All though i guess the R is a lot different