Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Belt cover, will it fit my bike? (/showthread.php?t=30804)

BIG-G 18-May-2006 15:29

Belt cover, will it fit my bike?

As you will see from the photo I have a 05 749s and have aquired this carbon cover but on mine the cover is vented the carbon is not. Do you think it will fit and be OK it all looks the right size before I take the seat and tank off.
Thanks
G

[Edited on 18-5-2006 by BIG-G]

Sharpy G 18-May-2006 16:57

cover

my 749R has carbon covers as standard, but they are vented
must be some reason for the venting I would suggest:puzzled:

andyb 18-May-2006 17:32

its an obvious after market cover. the venting on the vertical cover is actually an out as the in is down by the v piece.....on the 749r covers. you can get these £300 for a pair inc the v piece and link, which is actually not that expensive.

Ducati do do covers without the venting...................

Carbon749 18-May-2006 21:40

Non vented belt covers were on S and BP models pre 2005. I think all bikes now have vented covers from 2004 / 2005 onwards.

KeefyB 19-May-2006 05:43

The short answer is yes it will fit.Its whether or not you should fit it that is open for debate.The cover you have is designed for '03/04 non 'R' models.(Although I think the early 999R may have had them)As Carbon pointed out,the vented covers were standard on all bikes from '05 onwards.The '05 covers are also a bit deeper.(To allow for airflow?)Ducati have done this for a reason,....why,I dont know,I guess its to reduce heat build up and the belts from stretching.
Personally,I would sell that cover and buy a proper vented cover to fit '05 bikes onwards.

andyb 19-May-2006 09:18

Obviously fitted it will look nice, so to get it to work properly, why not get some vents milled out of it?

JHP did this to my std cover ........looks good!

Carbon749 19-May-2006 10:04

Problem will be if you only have the vertical cover (back cylinder). The plastic vented covers you currently have fitted, have a deeper transistion piece between the 2 cylinders. If you try to fit a non vented vertical cover with a vented transistion piece and vented horizontal cover you will have massive gaps were the vertical cover meets the transistion piece.

Either fit a full set of non vented or a full set of vented, you can not really mix and match.