Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Good luck y'all (/showthread.php?t=32656)

psychlist 24-Jun-2006 22:37

Good luck y'all

As most of you will have guessed by my advert listing Monica for sale I'm quitting DD. I've had a great time with you all and (hopefully) shown some of you younger, fitter and more "agile" people how well you CAN ride a clapped out 583 on a shoestring budget? Last year was a very steep learning curve which made it all the more enjoyable as I improved in every race at every circuit but this year the series has lost its shine. I'm not enjoying being on the track as much as last year although (when I finish) I am finishing a lot higher up the grid! Excluding the mental nightmare that was Castle Combe (I really didnt want to be there for SO many reasons) I finished 2 other races, the first race at Cadwell (8th place) and the second race at Brands (15th place) so I'm happy to pull stumps at that level. I dont feel that my decision was influenced by the 2 crashes I had but there my trip to Germany was a big factor. My budget meant I would never be able to afford to do all the DD rounds so dropping Assen was an easy choice, I also felt that it was wrong of the MT to "force" us to race there by making it a points scoring meeting, but that's part of another story (I've heard lots of tales about fiddling/cheating etc, but I dont believe them because why would any of you cheat your mates!?!). When I went to Germany recently for literally the price of 2 race meets I got about 24 HOURS of bike riding in, in comparison I get approx 45 minutes per DD weekend, or 1.5 hours for the cost of a trip to the Nurburgring! Of course the 'Ring is neither Nirvana nor a "Holy Grail", but the organised trip there is a useful comparison as my enjoyment of biking comes from time ON the bike, not watching races or preparing for them. I like the paddock atmosphere and have benefitted tremendously from the camaraderie fostered within the DD series but I get exactly the same benefits from meeting my fellow DSC clubmates in Sussex, Surrey, Berks & Hampshire (to name but a few of the regional meets I regularly attend) & rides like the Magical Mystery Tour today to Weston! I hope you continue to get all the enjoyment you can from the DD series as I firmly believe that it is a positive contributor to club life and hope that it continues to promote the comradeship and sense of belonging that the DSC needs from you, its members.
Thank you all for your help during my DD "career", it was a most excellent trip dudes :D

CK 24-Jun-2006 22:41

Paul, we are going to miss you there:( but if ever you have the time - you must come and join us at a meeting:)

C
xx

Tonio600 24-Jun-2006 22:43

as above :(

domski 24-Jun-2006 22:54

Good. ****** off!!!

Only kidding :D

That's a shame Paul, but you have totally understandable reasons to stop (not that you need to justify it to anyone). Life is very short, and at least you've had a go. It's an experience that millions of bikers will never have.

Now you're moving on to other things - that's life innit ;)

I think you've been an inspiration to a lot of people for having the balls to get out there in the first place, and even after eating tarmac twice you still came back for more!!

Just be careful around Mav's ring :o

Take it easy fella :)

Dementor 24-Jun-2006 23:18

Good call Paul and for all the right reasons, your strength of character certainly showed at Brands. You should be proud of your achievements.

Will miss you at the rounds, but you could always just watch like me (I know, not the same as actually racing) but a great atmosphere all the same.

Now what mystery tour shall we have next weekend??.......watch this space :lol:

phoenix n max 25-Jun-2006 00:04

So sorry to see you leave the DD Paul - I will miss you lots :(
I can however see the points raised.
I wish you every good fortune for the future in everything you decide to do.
Will see you out and about when I journey southwards again soon i'm sure.
Love n hugs, my mate :D You're a star!

Dibble 25-Jun-2006 02:28

Paul,

We spoke before you entered DD and I was one of the ones telling you to do it, your motivations weren't obvious to most and you went out there and stuck two fingers proudly up at your doubters and knockers .. good on you mate ...

so stepping out of DD as you are, you have nothing but my support and respect mate ...

Pietro

butch890 25-Jun-2006 08:05

Sad day for Dd Paul,been great to have you around.
Dont be a stranger.
Butch

Grib 25-Jun-2006 16:02

Be sorry to see you go Paul :( Stop by and see us when you can and have fun doing whatever else it is you're gonna be doing instead of mucking about with us lot :)

paynep 25-Jun-2006 19:18

Paul, You have been there and done it - which is more than most.

Shame to see you go, but expect that we will still see you around.

Paul