Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   03-04 Monster Gearing (/showthread.php?t=13351)

uncledunnie 19-Jan-2005 11:44

03-04 Monster Gearing

Heres the thing......

I've been looking into gearing this week and found that Renthal don't make a rear sprocket over 46 teeth for this model, which to me means that anyone running a 03-04 620ie is going to have very limited gearing options if they want to sacrifice top end for acceleration.

Standard
15/48 - 3.20

Options
14/45 - 3.21 (almost same as stock)
14/46 - 3.29 (slight improvement)
14/48 - 3.43 (best your gonna get using the stock rear and a new 14t front)

Dropping below 14 on the front isn't really an option (?)

I would expect everyone to drop the gearing at our first outing (Cadwell Woodland) so are the new Monster boys already at a disadvantage??

Unless any other manufacturer are making bigger than 48 tooth rears for the newer bikes.

uncledunnie 19-Jan-2005 11:51

or........

is it going to get even more complicated and gearing be assesed using only the first 4 or 5 gears in the box, which means lots of practice time with a lap timer and spannering.

I suppose by the end of the first weekend we will all know how to change the rear wheel blindfolded in the dark

:o:o:o

dickieducati 19-Jan-2005 11:51

i wont be chuffing around with gearing too much else to worry about.

i would have thought you would gear for top speed anyway everywhere apart from on the woodland and maybe the extra little bit of power a stock 620 has over a 600 will make up for it?

shouldnt having 6 gears as oppsed to 5 on some of the older bikes help too?

uncledunnie 19-Jan-2005 12:13

I think the 6spd box will be an advantage because it gives more flexibility when selecting gearing - but only if the parts exist (sprockets) to expoilt that advantage to the max.

uncledunnie 19-Jan-2005 14:59

following on from Weeksy's point

I see the 2 important areas at Cadwell (woodland) as the exit from Barn and the loop back from the end of the start finish straight onto the Mountain. Two conflicting parameters !!

I can't see the little bikes pulling 6th on the straight coz you can't gear them down enough so pulling max revs in 4th or 5th 3/4 (or so) of the way along the straight has to be a goal subject to the correct gearing for the drive out of Barn.

Theres no precedent so that means....

Fit a 14t front before race day and then experiment with up to 4 different rear sprockets and possibly 2 chains on the day......

I'm reasonably handy with a spanner, but thats still seems like some work to fit into what I assume will be quite a limited practice/qualifying session

dickieducati 19-Jan-2005 15:11

Quote:

Originally posted by uncledunnie
Theres no precedent so that means....

Fit a 14t front before race day and then experiment with up to 4 different rear sprockets and possibly 2 chains on the day......

sometimes i feel out of my depth with this desmodue lark................this is one of them!

with regard to gearing i was just going to check i had 6 of them and then get on with it:o

not that it really mattars but standard gearing on a 2005 is 15/46

dickieducati 19-Jan-2005 15:18

weeksy,

assuming i'm an average rider (at best) will i really notice a difference between different gearing or should i just concentrate on getting round the track ??

ali 19-Jan-2005 15:30

Quote:

Originally posted by dickieducati
weeksy,

assuming i'm an average rider (at best) will i really notice a difference between different gearing or should i just concentrate on getting round the track ??

You'll definitely notice it.

I only did a few track days last year, buton my first one I was bitching about been completely mis-geared for the Russell Chicane at Snet. Everytime I came out I'd get wasted by people who were already in the power in second while I was bimbling around at 1500rpm or screaming in first...

Also had the same (as did a few others) with Club corner on silverstone GP. Should be a fast double-apex right which opens out, but on an SS/SL the standard gearing sees you shifting up mid-corner. This led to the single biggest 'moment' I've ever had on a bike:o:o:o:lol:

I'm sure Weeksy is bang on the money, get it right for one corner and another's buggered. Just depends on where the best over-taking opportunities are and how your bike makes its power.

ali