Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Idle Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Hi Im back - BE CAREFUL (/showthread.php?t=78313)

YMFB 20-Jan-2009 18:37

Hi Im back - BE CAREFUL

I have been off line for nearly a week following a nasty Trojan taking control of my Laptop. One second NAV said it had detected a trojan and the next my machine shutdown and wouldnt re-boot, not even with the repair disk.

Be warned and keep you AV up to date.

antonye 20-Jan-2009 21:25

Lesson: don't use Notrun Anti Virus ;)

http://free.avg.com/ for the free AVG package.

YMFB 20-Jan-2009 21:35

trouble is our IT person uses it, I will ask what his adversion to AVG is

phillc 20-Jan-2009 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonye
Lesson: don't use Notrun Anti Virus ;)

Or Windows!

antonye 20-Jan-2009 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by YMFB
trouble is our IT person uses it, I will ask what his adversion to AVG is

Probably corporate policy, as with Norton you pay for support, so you get an SLA which keeps your manager happy. It doesn't mean it's the best AV though... ;)

Monty 21-Jan-2009 18:51

Funnily enough our company has changed over completely to AVG-I have been using it for ages on my home machine.

John

Paul James 23-Jan-2009 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty
Funnily enough our company has changed over completely to AVG-I have been using it for ages on my home machine.

John

Me too, seems to run fine, simple to install and use and the bit I like is its free ;) :D

crm250 24-Jan-2009 09:30

From an IT pro and security point of view, i like AVG on home machines and what i call expendable machines. While AVG does offer a product for file servers its pretty basic and lite, and offers nothing for mail servers or more complex systems.
Symantec's products do read very well and satisfy budgets and IT directors arse's, however again from a techie point of view its pure garbage and i cant reccomend enough to avoid.
Same for Mcafee's offerings to the public. total bloatware and pc killers but they look pretty and make the user feel he's bought something doing its job.
However Mcafee's corporate offerings are of a different class. deployed with EPOL the client protection is very light and effective, groupshield for exchange is IMO the best protection you can get and offers reasonable reporting and proactive rules.
loads of other vendors like sophos, etc etc, worked with most some better than others. one i did like was kasperski, but thier licencing model is a bit odd and doesnt suit corporates as well as the other players.

anyway back on track, yes for your average windows based home PC, use AVG and if anyone is still using modems in this day and age then buy a damn router and do yourself another favour and protect yourself in that way too.