Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Woo hoo! I just bled my back brake! (/showthread.php?t=16811)

moto748 25-Apr-2005 21:54

Woo hoo! I just bled my back brake!

Successfully!

Quite a while back I bought a Mityvac* vacuum brake bleeder. Largely because the back brakes on 748/996's, even when they are working, to their limited degree, don't stay solid for long. And partly because the bike's getting to the age where I really ought to be tackling some of the relatively straightforward routine maintenence jobs myself.

As the back brake had disappeared to absolutely nothing lately (all that happens is the pedal hits the fairing), I decided that the brake bleeder ought to stop gathering dust under the stairs.

I mean, I've watched Louigi do it plenty of times: how hard can it be?

Well the answer is, if you've got one of those things, it's no trouble at all!:)

Boldly ignoring the advice of the Haynes manual

This procedure will be easier with the aid of an assistant

I set to, and the job was done in no time. I extricated the caliper from the wheel, and hooked it over the near-side pillion footrest, which seemed at a convenient height to get the nipple as high as possible. Two or three pumps with the vacuum bleeder, then a couple of pumps "conventionally" at the pedal, and the pedal is now as solid as you like.:roll:

So I thoughly recommend this excellent bit of kit. Anything that makes the difference between it being a into-the-dealers job, and a DIY job (quick-relaese sprocket carriers are the same, in my opinion), soon pays for itself.

Might be a while before I'm brave enough to tackle the front brake and clutch, though...:lol:

* I bought mine direct from the States off ebay. And, maybe I was just lucky, but I didn't get hit for any import duties or such-like either. Cost me about £55 all in, IIRC. I believe they're the best part of 100 notes retail in the UK.

[Edited on 25-4-2005 by moto748]

DC 25-Apr-2005 22:22

:D

yep, that sounds about right. When I bleed my rear brake I always undo the twp bolts and just turn it around on the disc so the bleed niple is at its highest point. Then bleed away. 3 min and loverly pedal action.:D;)

DC.:burn:

smilo006 26-Apr-2005 17:05

Mityvac from Hein Gericke in Stockwell, £35. However, usefully the instructions were in German but it is not difficult to use.
Great little tool though.

Dibble 26-Apr-2005 17:07

will one get the jam out of donuts without leaving a mark ???

would be great to wander round sainsburys with one of those ....

JPM 26-Apr-2005 17:21

Got one from Hein Gericke ages ago without instructions, so never used it, don't even know how to connect the thing up, any ideas/help appreciated

[Edited on 26-4-2005 by JPM]

tricky 26-Apr-2005 17:24

Quote:

Originally posted by DIBBLE
will one get the jam out of donuts without leaving a mark ???

would be great to wander round sainsburys with one of those ....

:lol::lol::lol:

m1keyp 26-Apr-2005 18:58

http://www.mityvac.com/

Just ask and you will receive:frog:

moto748 27-Apr-2005 14:19

Quote:

Originally posted by moto748
Might be a while before I'm brave enough to tackle the front brake and clutch, though...:lol:
[Edited on 25-4-2005 by moto748]

Well in fact I did the front brake last night! Solid as a rock now.