Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Idle Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Leaving the fold (/showthread.php?t=80228)

Murray Mint 03-Aug-2009 09:06

Leaving the fold

OK just thought I let you guys know that I have decided not to re-join the club so that's the end of my 7 year connection. See you all later.:(

Murray

mjbayley 03-Aug-2009 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray Mint
OK just thought I let you guys know that I have decided not to re-join the club so that's the end of my 7 year connection. See you all later.:(

Murray

Hi Murray, sorry to see you go, I'm thinking the same myself.
Out of work, bike SORN'ed, not been to any DD meets, not been to the last 3 pub nights (skint)

Also no renewal forms recieved??
One year on from the 'fracas' (read farce) and we STILL can't renew on line as per the 'old farts' club ????
See you around sometime soon,
Mark

andyb 03-Aug-2009 10:46

I got a " our records show that your membership expired and i would like to welcome you back to the DSC" note on Saturday........unfortunately no name signed the letter, although i see Doms name was where you send a cheque to......although hes not shown as membership secretary.....

So who is on the MT team these days please, who is Chairperson, and the letter said DSC is affiliated to Ducati factory, is this really the case?

MJS 03-Aug-2009 12:47

I had a renewal form come through, but haven't done anything with it.

I haven't made a conscious decision not to renew, it's a case of apathy for me

RickyX 03-Aug-2009 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban996
I had a renewal form come through, but haven't done anything with it.

I haven't made a conscious decision not to renew, it's a case of apathy for me

I have just got mine too and am in the same frame of mind.

If we all decided to renew though, we might get a good club out of it?

R

Wozzap 03-Aug-2009 13:43

Had an e-mail on the 29th July saying that my membership was about to expire and that a form would be sent out in the next few days. Here I am on the 3rd of August, no form and no membership. And if it should arrive, then no thank you.

MJS 03-Aug-2009 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyX

I have just got mine too and am in the same frame of mind.

If we all decided to renew though, we might get a good club out of it?

R

If it wasn't for the fact my credit card has just had a real hammering, I probably would renew despite my feelings of apathy.

I've always thought this is a great club, but these days it seems to be mainly DD related and that's not my cuppa.

I used to enjoy the WSBK evenings but they seem to be a thing of the past until the affiliation issue is resolved, and me re-joining isn't going to influence that decision one way or another.

Murray Mint 03-Aug-2009 15:34

It's not the cost as I feel £20.00 is a small price to pay for being a part of a club that has had a large influence on Ducati ownership.

My first experience of the club the way it used to be came way back on a very cold and wet October morning 2002. I had been a member for a few months and was now attending my first track day at Brands. I had an unfortunate incident just down the road from the track where I fell off snapping the gear shift and clutch leavers. I was amazed at the help that was awaiting me. Henners drove me from Brands all the way over to ProV to pick up the replacement parts so I could get on with the day. This took quite some time, time in which Henry could of been enjoying the delights of circuit riding, what I'm trying to say is that from my perspective the many characters of the club have gone and so to has the camaraderie.

I wish the club all the best for the future but I still believe that the replacement of only one member of the MT would see a return to the past level of prosperity that the club enjoyed.

This is the last I will say on this subject in public.

Murray

andyb 04-Aug-2009 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyb
.unfortunately no name signed the letter, although i see Doms name was where you send a cheque to......although hes not shown as membership secretary.....

So who is on the MT team these days please, who is Chairperson, and the letter said DSC is affiliated to Ducati factory, is this really the case?

So is there one left to answer....i know Gordon has his feet up at the moment..

Col996s 04-Aug-2009 09:28

I would be interested how many members there are in the club and compare it with say two years ago.

andyb 04-Aug-2009 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col996s
I would be interested how many members there are in the club and compare it with say two years ago.

or run a last 5 years 4,3,2,1.......to see the decline.

The biggest issues for me are the consistant lack of communication, eg a letter sent out with no name responsible, or the secret mailing address in Leicester, magic door matt excetera...

The resistance to more modern ways of doing things, eg on line membership registration....

let alone the unfinished saga...(not the holiday company although that could be relevent)

sad really..

Col996s 04-Aug-2009 10:49

The lack of communication is frustrating.
I wrote an article for Pronto, maybe not a very good one but an article neverless. I was told there was a short deadline so I put something together quickly and sent it in. I was told that I would be contacted about the article, I have heard nothing since despite sending a PM reminder.
I appreciate people are doing this part time and that they have lives to live but keep people informed what is happening please.

mjbayley 04-Aug-2009 10:55

Got my Reminder !

Quote:

I wrote an article for Pronto, maybe not a very good one but an article neverless. I was told there was a short deadline so I quickly put something together quickly and sent it in. I was told that I would be contacted about the article, I have heard nothing since despite sending a PM reminder.
I appreciate people are doing this part time and that they have lives to live but keep people informed what is happening please.

Got my reminder form today, postmarked 1st August.
I've put it on my PC desk where it's going to stay for the time being !

Mark

John W 04-Aug-2009 13:55

I think its a shame really.

I chose not to rejoin a year or so back as I didn't have enough time to read the pronto, and wasn't getting time to catch up on here either. No other reason.

Consequently I missed all the explosion that took place, and only knew about it when I got an email telling me all the terms were changing and the forum was down for a while.
Any club of this sort of size is always going to have more than one viewpoint, and when two (or more) strong willed people stand up and shout, it often leads to what has happened last year.

What I really find frustrating though is that it is still being talked about, and the club not allowed to move on. any newer people looking in with a view to join must wonder what the hell is going on, and may well choose not to join as a result. That just continues the downward spiral, and actually substantiates any argument of those that walked away (and from what I understand set up a new forum).

I only visit this one ducati forum as its all I have time to do. Although I may not have met many of you, I do enjoy the banter and can relate to a number of people I've conversed with. There are a good number of forums where the banter is very inflamatory, so this one is very civilised in omparison.

Stuff like membership letter probably comes down to a new person in the role still trying to find their feet, may not have all the necessary paperwork, and possibly not the same skill set.
I'd give them a little more lattitude, but would urge the Management Committee to provide a more responsive channel of communication so people can speak direct, and not kick off on the forum. The only way to fix things is for people to have the opportunity to tell you its broken, and be achnowledged for doing so.

Finally, while I'm setting myself up for a kicking, I realise all those who don't like what they see probably couldn't step up to the plate and help because they are likely too busy, but maybe you could look at what you do get for your money rather than what you don't. I bet a small number of people put in a large amount of effort, and getting others to help is next to impossible.

I was very tempted to delete this prior to sending it, but decided I would proceed with expressing my views.

Keep up the good work guys, it will all come good eventually, so hang in there.

Cheers,
John.

TopiToo 04-Aug-2009 15:01

Quote:

I wrote an article for Pronto, maybe not a very good one but an article neverless. I was told there was a short deadline so I put something together quickly and sent it in. I was told that I would be contacted about the article, I have heard nothing since despite sending a PM reminder.

I agree with that, I have spent a fair few hours putting together the cleaned up version of the DSC logo, (as asked by the last Chairman PJ)
printed out some proofs, took them to the BMF, gave them to Mark
and that was the last I heard of it . . . thank's Mark. :mad:

The DSC TD poster to this day I don't know if any dealers received them.
Maybe it's due to the shift around, but I feel you contact one person,
it is then handed to another, then another, then you lose intrest. :(
(saying that I do know at the time a few MT members were unable to give full attention to this, so that is understandable)

TopiToo

andyb 04-Aug-2009 23:16

Ah well. Ive seen the leading figures,well whats left of them, come and post and then go today, so i guess my questions must be in the too difficult box........

John W 05-Aug-2009 00:48

or maybe they have noted comments but don't want to jump in too early and stiffle any other opinions ?

Agreed though, at least an acknowledgement of this thread and its comments would be good, as would knowing exactly who hold which position. I had asumed this was given in one of the prontos, but since you lot don't know either I guessI'm wrong :)

psychlist 05-Aug-2009 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by John W
or maybe they have noted comments but don't want to jump in too early and stiffle any other opinions ?

:lol:
Sorry John. "They" usually seem to manage to stifle opinions like in the posts above by ignoring them until they go off the end of "Todays posts" ;)

John W 05-Aug-2009 13:18

Ahhhhh, hadn't thought of that one ;)
:D

Chris Wood 05-Aug-2009 14:04

Nice post John.

Love these threads, reminds everyone that people are always watching the DSC board:lol:

Never really leave.....

I imagine the MT are busy sorting the GFC, World Hunger, Gaza, Third World debt etc...

MLC Racing 05-Aug-2009 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Wood
Nice post John.

Love these threads, reminds everyone that people are always watching the DSC board:lol:

Never really leave.....

I imagine the MT are busy sorting the GFC, World Hunger, Gaza, Third World debt etc...

Chris are those not too easy these days. A bit '90s.
How about a DD race at WDW2010.!

Paul James 05-Aug-2009 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychlist
:lol:
Sorry John. "They" usually seem to manage to stifle opinions like in the posts above by ignoring them until they go off the end of "Todays posts" ;)

Good to see you still knocking about Paul you old git. Hows it all going with you matey?

Did you ever get that table back from Mark? I think he's left the planet as he's impossible to contact these days by the looks of it.

Hope you are able to get out on the bike a bit now?

PJ

Col996s 05-Aug-2009 19:33

If Mark is impossible to get hold of, as a MT member, how can that be good for the club?
That just emphasises my comment about lack of communication within the club.

Paul James 05-Aug-2009 19:45

Quote:

If Mark is impossible to get hold of, as a MT member, how can that be good for the club?
That just emphasises my comment about lack of communication within the club.

He ain't on the MT any more for that very reason. There is a list of current MT members in the DSC topics area so in all fairness that info has been made available Col.

Col996s 05-Aug-2009 19:49

Sorry, didn't realise. Thought he was quiet on here.

andyb 05-Aug-2009 20:02

SO according to the MT listing i can see its

Foggy.......
CB
Mark T
Gordon
Monty

the rest are vacant..

gordonparker 05-Aug-2009 20:03

Hello, I am alive, no thanks to a camper van, been in cell block H known as Northampton General, they cocked up the first time and I was readmitted and guess what they have done similar the second time:mad:

Discharged myself last night and now have my feet both up and down
Andy:lol: , District nurse now attending
met some great people whilst in there and built some good friendships in just a few days.

I shall be in contact with both Roy and you Colin to see what I can do to help with your up and comming local events.

You have my number, give me a call on the landline as no signal in Dadford.

Just spent today sorting out my tratment but will be able to put in some effort in the next few weeks for some club things

gordonparker 05-Aug-2009 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyb
SO according to the MT listing i can see its

Foggy.......
CB
Mark T
Gordon
Monty

the rest are vacant..

Needs updating to delete Mark and include Jools

mjbayley 05-Aug-2009 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonparker
Needs updating to delete Mark and include Jools

and Dom (Doom) C , LOL !

Paul James 05-Aug-2009 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjbayley
and Dom (Doom) C , LOL !

Scary innit! :lol:

Paul James 05-Aug-2009 21:28

Quote:

Sorry, didn't realise. Thought he was quiet on here.

Quiet...I think it's more likely to be a case of alien abduction. :)

Monty 06-Aug-2009 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul James

Alian abduction?-I don't think so-they definately would have brought him back by now................:lol:

John

skidlids 06-Aug-2009 09:21

is this anywhere close

Foggy.......
CB - Treasurer - DD
Gordon Parker - Events and DD
Monty - Old Codger and something to do with trackdays
Jools - Pronto editor
Dominic Clegg - membership

gordonparker 06-Aug-2009 09:23

Close enough Kev:D

Jools 06-Aug-2009 12:02

Actually, some of us have jobs to do....not quite sorting the GFC, World Hunger, Gaza.....but I did broker Clinton's visit to North Korea in my spare time :lol:

I have been in Poland on business for the last week and a half, where the only internet access that I've had has been from a customer's network environment and a flaky Wi-Fi link in the hotel. Since part of the escalation that I was dealing with was caused by inappropriate non-business use of their network, it was hardly sensible of me to spend any time monitoring the DSC site and writing replies - although I did manage to peek at it for a few seconds.

Now I'm back, so, to respond from my own perspective...

I'm always disappointed when somebody decides that they no longer get want they want from the club and decide not to renew their membership. It means that the club is getting it wrong for those people and that is a shame. We all put a lot of effort on the MT side into trying to provide stuff that the members will enjoy, and it takes hours of voluntary work to do that. I'm not moaning about that, I knew that when I stood up and agreed to do it, but it is a shame when people decide that our best efforts are not enough for them.

Colin, I have to hold my hands up on the Pronto issue and I'm really sorry about the lack of communication on your article. It's a good story and, as I said via PM, I just wanted to make the article a bit longer. I did some work on it and I was sure that I had emailed a copy back to you so you could give it a look to see that you were happy with it. I can remember writing the email and attaching the revised article (and I assumed that would answer your PM at the same time), but, I just checked my 'sent items' and it was never sent. I don't know why; probably hit the 'back' button inadvertently. I will remedy that today and resend, but please accept that it's c o c k up rather than cynical conspiracy. Pronto is within a few days of going to print, and your article is currently slated to appear, but please let me know if you don't like what I've done.

Col996s 06-Aug-2009 16:25

Thanks Jools.
I've replied to your email.

andyb 06-Aug-2009 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul James

it wasnt a meet the aliens on the planet zog was it?

andyb 06-Aug-2009 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
is this anywhere close

Foggy.......
CB - Treasurer - DD
Gordon Parker - Events and DD
Monty - Old Codger and something to do with trackdays
Jools - Pronto editor
Dominic Clegg - membership

Are they the official MT for those roles then?

gordonparker 06-Aug-2009 22:33

For the moment Andy, a few co opted could be added shortly and will be announced at the time

Jools 06-Aug-2009 23:30

And unless you haven't seen it yet folks, I'm this year's chairman as well as doing Pronto.

Now real surprises there, the chairman has to do a real MT job as well as the chairman bit