Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Trackdays & Race Schools (/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   The Muppet, the 888SP5 and Jasper (/showthread.php?t=80701)

TP 24-Sep-2009 19:04

The Muppet, the 888SP5 and Jasper

I finished paying for this bike a while ago but due to the immense nature of my idiocy I'm only just starting to be able have a sense of humour about this bellend mistake I made!

Now, I'm resurrecting the "DSC Muppet Award" and claiming it with both hands. The muppet award seems to have tailed off in recent years but it used to be awarded to a DSC member who had crashed on a track day. Racing doesn't count. I'm sure that at least one DSC member has toppled off on a track day since I did but in the interests of club spirit I'll take it. And so close to the end of the season too! I could have it all winter...

The muppet = me for crashing what is not only a rare bike, the 888SP5, but one that has blinged to death and had rare carbon panels and footpegs on it!!!

The 888SP5 = Jasper's pride and joy, the blingtastic machine with more rare bits and pieces on it than pretty much any bike I've seen.

Jasper = The very magnanimous gentleman who was keen for me to ride this piece of exotica. Not only is Rich a thoroughly decent chap, he took it all in his stride when I brought his broken mistress back to him. He could have ranted and raved and even stuck one on me but he didn't. And not only did he not do any of that, he even tried to stop me from paying the entire bill to restore it back to pristine condition because I am unemployed and he was concerned about my financial situation. Well clearly I was having none of that, it was my mistake and not his, so I paid it. Ouch!!

So a very public thank you to Rich for being such a legend and I'm glad we got it all sorted out. I'll take you out for that promised curry and beers to try make up for the time you missed this summer on it when you should have been riding.

So there you have it, I am the Ducati Sporting Club muppet. Please all join in and have a few giggles at my expense :)

antonye 24-Sep-2009 19:20

Actually, you did the right thing and for that you should be applauded, not that I'd have any doubt that you wouldn't.

Well done to Jasper too for being calm about it.

But you're still a mucking fuppet though TP ;) :lol:

TP 24-Sep-2009 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonye
But you're still a mucking fuppet though TP ;) :lol:

Yes, yes I am.

But a damn good looking one ;) :lol:

NBs996 24-Sep-2009 20:20

A very worthy recipient of the award. Although it has to be said, there has been much better looking winners.

I still have 'mares about nearly crashing into Jasper at Cadwell a couple of years ago... my on-board vid makes me hide behind the sofa every time I watch it!

Jasper 24-Sep-2009 21:53

TP yes you were muppet,but were up front all the way.All the bits are back and repaired or renewed.Plus taking the opportunity to make a few more changes.

Pictures will be next year,because i have a bit off a health issue at the moment!:(

I couldn't **** you,i was in shock.Anyway my daughter was there.She did say "Why didn't you hit that man Daddy?" MMmmmmm.still not sure:rolleyes:

NB.When did you nearly hit me? And was it my fault? Can you send me the vid?

deej 24-Sep-2009 22:11

Wow yes you deserve the muppet award but what about a spirit of the dsc award too. There isn't many people who would pay to repair a bike that wasn't theirs. Fair play to you TP

Ray 24-Sep-2009 22:16

The title of Master of the Muppets isn't dished out for just any old trackday lowside ya know but I reckon for the special effort you made on what must be one of the shortest test rides ever attempted at Cadwell, did you actually get on to the track upright?, wins you that honour:lol:

You join some of the DSC Muppetry greats like WJB for dumping one of Ducati Uk's bikes at mallory, not to mention at least one unmentionable incident, that I'm not going to ...er...mention

Monty is a multiple title holder and according to the search i've just done the last know holder of the DSC Muppet award.

Just doing a search on muppet on the site was a great nostalgia trip:D

It would be great to bring back the award and it's avatar.

Yep, IIRC the award could only be claimed for trackday spills, racing or road spills were disallowed muppetry.

Oh how I laugh :mad: now about my own feeble attempt at muppetry, not putting my old 996 on its sidestand properly in the pitlane at the end of trackday at Donington, walking away only to hear the priceless sound of metal and plastic crunching as it fell over. Then stupidly firing it up only for the damaged clutch cover to whip a clutch post off, ...........aaahhh what fun:rolleyes:

Ray

andyb 24-Sep-2009 22:47

why is a clearly clever bloke like you out of work?:confused:

chris.p 24-Sep-2009 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TP

But a damn good looking one ;) :lol:

That is very debatable:rolleyes: ya muppet.

Nice one for getting Jaspers bike sorted.

Chris:burn:

Jasper 24-Sep-2009 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by deej
Wow yes you deserve the muppet award but what about a spirit of the dsc award too. There isn't many people who would pay to repair a bike that wasn't theirs. Fair play to you TP

Because the hospital bills would have cost more than the repairs!!:ninja::o

Chef 24-Sep-2009 23:47

Letting TP ride your SP5 at a trackday..........:-0

Speechless

You do know him don't you....

Aussie, CSS instructor, nice guy............oh & crashes a lot..............:-)

Brave doesn't do it justice

Jasper 25-Sep-2009 00:17

Why is it everyone new he crashed alot except me!!

I should have figured that out with the instruction for going over the mountain!!

TopiToo 25-Sep-2009 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper
TP yes you were muppet,but were up front all the way.All the bits are back and repaired or renewed.Plus taking the opportunity to make a few more changes.

Pictures will be next year,because i have a bit off a health issue at the moment!:(

I couldn't **** you,i was in shock.Anyway my daughter was there.She did say "Why didn't you hit that man Daddy?" MMmmmmm.still not sure:rolleyes:

Hats off to you both, for being very civil about the whole issue :)
Can not wait to see pictures of the new bike Jasper . . and here's hoping the health issue is not too prolonged :(;)

TopiToo

NBs996 25-Sep-2009 00:46

Quote:

Might be wrong but I'm sure we've already re-lived it!

Fault? Well, both of us... you nearly fell off at the bottom of the mountain and ended up parking it, and I was a bit too close behind building up for a pass on the run to Halls.
Big video file, not sure I can upload it anywhere but I'll try'n pull out the scarey bit when I have a few mins.
No contact = no problem!

Jasper 25-Sep-2009 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBs996
Might be wrong but I'm sure we've already re-lived it!

Fault? Well, both of us... you nearly fell off at the bottom of the mountain and ended up parking it, and I was a bit too close behind building up for a pass on the run to Halls.
Big video file, not sure I can upload it anywhere but I'll try'n pull out the scarey bit when I have a few mins.
No contact = no problem!

Bottom or top of the Mountain?I don't remember one at the bottom-there has been so many!!:eek: Can you edit it and e-mail it?

NBs996 25-Sep-2009 01:10

Will try, but I'm going to bed now!
peee-em me an email address and I'll sort a clip tomorrow eve.

Jools 25-Sep-2009 13:49

I was there!

Leaning over the railings in front of the cafe with KeefyB, directly overlooking the end of the pit lane. Jasper's bike came down the pit lane and I said to Keefy "that's feckin gorgeous innit"....two seconds later in a display of the finest muppetry seen for some considerable time it was sliding across the track on it's side. Ooooops, perhaps not quite so lovely.

Hats off to all for the way it's been sorted though. Takes a big man to stand up and take responsibility for it, and a big man to take a deep breath and deal with their bike coming back in with road rash

WeeJohnyB 25-Sep-2009 14:29

Glad it all ends well with people able to reflect and smile a bit cause that was one heck of a muppet award TP, shame Jasper's bike got damaged and shame you are big time out of pocket, but well done for paying and standing up to the pressure of it, it can't have been easy.

To be fair, the marks started on the ramp, so I'm not sure you can call it a trackday muppet award:lol: although to be fair, the bike did end up on the track.

I too was there and I witnessed Jaspers face when he was coming to terms with the news that it was his bike that had gone down - you were close to tears mate and close to violence, but fair play for the way you handled it.

It just goes to show that even an experienced rider on a great bike on a perfect day and shiit happens:( I think DUK have finally forgiven me for writing off their brand new S4R as they allow me to take their bikes out again, but I don't ride many other peoples bikes anymore and if I do it's at 30mph.

TP, I think the Muppet of the Year award is safe with you mate

Love to see the pics to finish the story

WeeJohnyB

Nattyboy 25-Sep-2009 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by TP
I finished paying for this bike a while ago but due to the immense nature of my idiocy I'm only just starting to be able have a sense of humour about this bellend mistake I made!

Now, I'm resurrecting the "DSC Muppet Award" and claiming it with both hands. The muppet award seems to have tailed off in recent years but it used to be awarded to a DSC member who had crashed on a track day. Racing doesn't count. I'm sure that at least one DSC member has toppled off on a track day since I did but in the interests of club spirit I'll take it. And so close to the end of the season too! I could have it all winter...

The muppet = me for crashing what is not only a rare bike, the 888SP5, but one that has blinged to death and had rare carbon panels and footpegs on it!!!

The 888SP5 = Jasper's pride and joy, the blingtastic machine with more rare bits and pieces on it than pretty much any bike I've seen.

Jasper = The very magnanimous gentleman who was keen for me to ride this piece of exotica. Not only is Rich a thoroughly decent chap, he took it all in his stride when I brought his broken mistress back to him. He could have ranted and raved and even stuck one on me but he didn't. And not only did he not do any of that, he even tried to stop me from paying the entire bill to restore it back to pristine condition because I am unemployed and he was concerned about my financial situation. Well clearly I was having none of that, it was my mistake and not his, so I paid it. Ouch!!

So a very public thank you to Rich for being such a legend and I'm glad we got it all sorted out. I'll take you out for that promised curry and beers to try make up for the time you missed this summer on it when you should have been riding.

So there you have it, I am the Ducati Sporting Club muppet. Please all join in and have a few giggles at my expense :)

He was probably only calm becuase he thought you might have dinked the wheels and it might be an opportunity to get some proper ones fitted eh Jasp ;>) lol !!!

Jasper 25-Sep-2009 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattyboy
He was probably only calm becuase he thought you might have dinked the wheels and it might be an opportunity to get some proper ones fitted eh Jasp ;>) lol !!!

Yeh,the mags on it SO yesterday;) And maybe for sale if you are interested?

TP 12-Jan-2010 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyb
why is a clearly clever bloke like you out of work?:confused:

I'm clearly not that clever! I'm hoping one of two irons in the fire will come off for me but it's been a very frustrating time being in IT lately. There are recruiters who are still receiving 100s of CVs within an hour of posting a job on jobserve.com so it's a VERY competitive market and I have very niche skills in one area. I've branched into a more generic area but that also means I'm competing with a lot more people, despite the increase in available roles, and it's difficult to demonstrate experience to recruiters who know nothing of what they speak ...

The irony is the market in Australia is strong...

That aside, we've reached a new year and I sincerely doubt anyone has performed muppetry of the order required to take the Ducati Sporting Club 2009 Muppet of the Year title off me. But I'm wondering who the current DSC Muppet is? I know for a fact that some club members have crashed on track days since my spectacular effort in June last year so don't be shy, come claim your prestigious title!

TP 12-Jan-2010 14:52

It's a bit sad to see there are more 'bots' online than DSC members...

skidlids 12-Jan-2010 14:54

Could be me for My crash at Mallory on Dec 3rd while testing tyre grip levels :)
I blame it on the pressure I was under :o

TP 12-Jan-2010 15:22

That's the spirit. We have a claim staked for Dec 3 '09 -any later?

Jasper 12-Jan-2010 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
Could be me for My crash at Mallory on Dec 3rd while testing tyre grip levels :)
I blame it on the pressure I was under :o

Not sure that counts.It was your own bike!!:rolleyes:

TP 12-Jan-2010 17:03

Quote:

Not sure that counts.It was your own bike!!:rolleyes:

Oi! Bugger off! That only made my effort untouchable in 2009 ;)

Skids is the current DSC Muppet until someone with a more recent track day off claims it.

I owe you £5 for The Ashes too, goddamn it. You'll have to wait for that one til I see you!

Jasper 12-Jan-2010 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by TP
Oi! Bugger off! That only made my effort untouchable in 2009 ;)

Skids is the current DSC Muppet until someone with a more recent track day off claims it.

I owe you £5 for The Ashes too, goddamn it. You'll have to wait for that one til I see you!

I thought Dec 3 was still in 2009? I hadn't forgotten about the ashes either:lol:!!

TP 12-Jan-2010 21:08

Quote:

I thought Dec 3 was still in 2009? I hadn't forgotten about the ashes either:lol:!!

You're as sharp as a bowling ball aren't you ;) Yes Dec 3 was in 09. You'll note that it was after my rearrangement of your bike and therefore constitutes a mad grab of the DSC Muppet Award. It does not, however, take my DSC Muppet of 2009 award.

You with me? :p

Jasper 12-Jan-2010 21:30

Ok.I'm with you.You are still a Muppet but not THE Muppet!!

Although to me you will ALWAYS hold this prestigious title!!:)

TP 12-Jan-2010 21:59

You'll always hold a special place in my heart too Rich MWAH! xx

;) :p

skidlids 12-Jan-2010 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by TP
. It does not, however, take my DSC Muppet of 2009 award.

Should that not read
It does not, however, take my DSC Muppet of the DECADE award :lol:

Monty 12-Jan-2010 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
Should that not read
It does not, however, take my DSC Muppet of the DECADE award :lol:

Now THAT'S more like it.........................:lol:

John :devil:

WeeJohnyB 13-Jan-2010 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty
Now THAT'S more like it.........................:lol:

John :devil:

Oh I don't know, I do believe the bike is back on the road, whereas the DUK S4R is most certainly not:( I think they salvaged the engine

WeeJohnyB

Annette 13-Jan-2010 14:16

And the previous 4 years 'Muppet' awards:
2006 - Mr T 'Muppet' P
2007 - Mr TP 'Muppet'
2008 - Mr 'Muppet' TP
2009 - Mr 'Mighty Muppet' TP aka 'Muppet Muppet'
:p
:roll:

TP 13-Jan-2010 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeeJohnyB
Oh I don't know, I do believe the bike is back on the road, whereas the DUK S4R is most certainly not:( I think they salvaged the engine

WeeJohnyB

Jasper's bike had indeed been restored to it's previous condition, thanks WJB.

Looks like we're the class clowns. Let's go sit at the back, make peashooters out of our pens and shoot spitballs at the rest of the class!

Oh and thanks Annette, I miss you! :D

skidlids 13-Jan-2010 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeeJohnyB

WeeJohnyB

I understood that was the UKMOC Muppet of the Decade award
question is was it also the Ducati UK Muppet of the Decade award

I know Luke Brackenbury who rode the PB bike in DD at Mallory in 2008 should be up for some award of the Decade after trashing a MV Tamburini at the Press Launch

Jasper 13-Jan-2010 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by TP
Jasper's bike had indeed been restored to it's previous condition, thanks WJB.

Looks like we're the class clowns. Let's go sit at the back, make peashooters out of our pens and shoot spitballs at the rest of the class!

Oh and thanks Annette, I miss you! :D

It's not actually together yet!! As i took more bits off,i thought kept changing bits and ideas.It will look a bit different when it's together this time.

TP 13-Jan-2010 23:06

Quote:

It's not actually together yet!! As i took more bits off,i thought kept changing bits and ideas.It will look a bit different when it's together this time.

Well, I've paid to replace the bits I damaged so whatever else you get up to is up to you :D

Send me a decent pic when you're done though, I want to blow it up and put it on my wall!